Author Topic: Non pilot captains  (Read 8846 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Non pilot captains
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »
For obvious reasons, the captain spot is for the player who will fly the ship. Players who presumably have no intentions of flying the ship they are captaining are a common sight in GoI, and explaining the reasons behind captain = pilot has a low success rate of convincing them to switch to pilot or join a crew spot.

The following method has demonstrated a 100% success rate at convincing the captain to join a crew slot.

1. in lobby, politely explain the reasons why captain = pilot, and that if they want to captain then they should be a pilot
2. if they don't budge, join as a pilot in their crew and wait for the match to start
3. hop on the guns and tell the captain to fly his ship
4. repeat the reasons why pilot = captain
5. bring a wrench.

Once the match is over, the captain will immediately vacate their spot and your job is done.

This method likely has an impact on future captaining decisions of the player, but further research is needed in order to support this conclusion.

Due to its effectiveness, I recommend this method for widespread use. With universal implementation, the quantity of non pilot captains will dramatically decrease.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: Non pilot captains
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
I have never understood why people put their pilot in a non-captain slot.  I usually ask why in the lobbies and never get a reason out of them.  There is literally no advantage to having your pilot unable to communicate with co-captains, not be able to control AI, not be able to spawn the ship, etc.  I find it very frustrating to co-captain on a team with a setup like that and not be able to communicate with the person who is actually flying the ship.  Just whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy please staaaaahhhhhhp

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
Reported because you're promoting deliberate and widespread trolling. Also, this thread isn't a valid suggestion for the devs, it's a (bad) suggestion for how players should act.

Hopefully it will find its way to the pit soon.

On a related topic, I think that MOST of the time, a captain should be the pilot, but I don't think the captain should be forced to fill that role just because it usually works out best. I've seen it work out quite well on a Squid, and I can imagine it working out decently on a Galleon as well. On other ships, I can't see it being as helpful, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for it to be a viable crew setup.

You also seem not to think so, since your personal opinion is that captains always have the final say.

So which is it? Captain has the final say? Or captain with a style you personally disagree with should be trolled instead of obeyed like you expect others to obey you?

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:05 pm »
If letting the captain fly their own ship is trolling, then yes: I am promoting deliberate and widespread trolling. Maybe I'll repost it somewhere more appropriate, but I'm pretty sure the devs will get a kick out of my proposal.
For obvious reasons the captain spot is for the pilot. The person who flies the ship gets to be the captain. A captain who is not planning on flying the ship is trolling whether or not they realize it.

There is never a situation where the person flying the ship shouldn't be the captain.

NOBODY wants a level 1 gunner captain of a spire on their team, so we should try to prevent this from happening. If reasoning with the player doesn't work, what is the alternative? My method does work, and in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty harmless.

It's important to recognize that these captains don't care what their crew are. I see plenty of gunner captains with extra gunners on board. It's NOT FAIR to the ally. If the captain requests that I change to engineer because he wants to fly, I would respect his decision.

If being an unnecessary pilot on board a ship is trolling, then there is already widespread trolling. Ships start with multiple pilots all the time and the crew/captains don't appear to care. Plus, I'm a pretty good crew member regardless of my class.

Again, there is NEVER a situation where the person flying shouldn't be the captain. Because the captain flies the ship, I propose that you let them fly it. The captain learns a lesson and there's no harm done.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »
you could also take the pilot role jump on the helm (since the non pilot captain can't kick you off help) and park the ship in a corner where there are no gun arcs..

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:10:05 pm »
you could also take the pilot role jump on the helm (since the non pilot captain can't kick you off help) and park the ship in a corner where there are no gun arcs..
Noo, don't pull a Xemko.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:19:26 pm »
I don't like that idea, it sounds suspiciously like trolling...

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:30 pm »
I've never been one to shy away from trolling trolls... my reported rap sheet confirms... :-P

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:52:18 pm »
Noo, don't pull a Xemko.

I have always said xemco mimics me

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »
Trolling trolls is satisfying.

I should also mention that these non pilot captains often leave during the match. I see them ready up with all AI or any crew combination and leave as soon as they die. This makes them a further liability to their team. If they did leave then I would take over the helm. If someone joined in as captain and not as a pilot, I would continue to fly.

If there was a way to prevent these captains then players would do it. Thus, this is not trolling. Until there is an alternative, I will continue to "troll" level 1 gunner captains.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »
I'm locking this thread at the moment on the grounds that you're advertising trolling of players.

Despite the fact that your intentions may be to teach a new/stubborn player a lesson, You're still advertising trolling and that is against MUSE policy.