Author Topic: Suggestion: gun buffs  (Read 9133 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Suggestion: gun buffs
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:41:05 pm »
Flamethrower not powerful enough please buff. I seem to be the only one who doesn't use it so it'll only really hurt me. Increase range please.

Buff flare gun please. Reload is too long to use as an offensive weapon. It's a lot more fun than a flamethrower.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: gun buffs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:30:18 am »
Ok, in order:

The Flamer is a FLAME THROWER. In WHAT WORLD are those effective at long range? And in what world is the actual on hit damage the main selling point? You get them close and they melt what you point them at. That simple.

Second... The flare gun is a utility weapon for keeping a visual on enemy ships who are in deep cloud cover.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:55:28 am »
You are joking about the flamethrower right? Flare buff i support!

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:57:51 am »
While I have no comments regarding the flare, the flamethrower is a flamerthrower, again, are you suggesting people snipe with things?!

(I suppose they do in WH40k...)

But in all seriousness adding range to the flamethrower is pretty silly. It's a close range disabler/harasser and should remain so for a reason.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
The flamethrower has a range of 200m and 340m with lesmok: not close range, much longer range than any flamethrower. It's not realistic to buff the range so how about buffing the reload time of 6 seconds, or buffing the clip size of 250, or buffing the turning arcs, or how about making 5 stacks disable a gun?

Without chemspray the flamethrower is easy mode, the GoI noobtube. It's the easiest gun to shoot and most effective gun to employ. It doesn't matter how bad/ineffective your build is, as long as you use a flame you have a solid chance. The double flame squid with an effective strategy is the easiest ship in the game and does not require a human crew (my 43 match winstreak).

Without chem it's a point and kill weapon and the other ship has no chance if they cant kill/disable/get away in time. If you keep shooting them they will die with nothing they can do about it. The flame is the most powerful weapon in the game, and the way I see it, its power is punishment for not using chem spray.

We could just make the extinguisher suck more (ex. 5 sec cooldown 1 sec immunity), that would help a bit. The extinguisher is the most useless tool in most circumstances, it delays the inevitable and gives experienced crews a significant advantage. Nerfing will encourage more engineers to use chem and more pilots to request it.

I'm not suggesting making flames overpowered, but I think they need some buffs. This will increase chem use and alter strategies. Increased chem use may decrease flame use and encourage captains to try some of the other guns. I rarely use flames so it will not advantage me. Flame buffs mean I gotta kill quacker, and they wont stop me from ramming.

The flare gun got nerfed and now has the longest reload time of any gun. Flare guns have excellent turning/arcs and each flare does 10 fire stacks, making it a powerful  support weapon. Why does it need a 20 second reload time? Plus it's so fun to use while the flamethrower is boring. It's my second favorite gun.

Flare buff petition!
Flare buff petition!!

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:29:12 am »
Is this a troll thread? Buffing flare for offense, nerfing extinguisher, cause it's already useless? Buffing flamer yet again, a gun that's being called by OP the most powerful weapon in the game? Making flamer even more of a killing weapon to encourage spraying? With its current state, flamer puts 20 stacks on every component in pub matches, if at this point people don't learn to spray things, then I don't see how buffing the flamer further on will help anyone. If you want to encourage using chem spray on low level people, keep using double flamer squid until they learn to spray, or ask Muse to make a proper advanced engineering tutorial for essential gameplay mechanics, such as spraying the ship, and make the tutorials mandatory (or rewarding with a hat or something, people love getting free rewards, that'll encourage them to do tutorials).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:30:54 am by Deltajugg »

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:04:44 am »
If it's already so powerful and people still are't spraying, then what's the point of having such a powerful weapon? Its power discourages weapon and tactical experimentation and encourages flame use. If buffing the flame is a bad idea, then can we at least make it a bit less powerful? 

It can certainly afford to have some attributes reduced and still be an effective weapon. Even with a decreased range, or decreased rof, or increased reload time, it would still be a very viable and deadly weapon. In regular pub matches, there is no challenge when using the flame. I yawn every time I see one and I think players should try out different weapons. I understand its charm and purpose, but players deserve more challenge.

I don't care about flames but I know they piss off a lot of newer players who just want to have fun. When is it op enough?

I don't get why flare guns need a 20 sec reload time. 10 secs seems fair to me. Good flare hits are almost as satisfying to me as a juicy mine hit.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
If the flamer is as strong as it is, why buff it again?
"People are not using chem spray", why is that your concern? If they don't use chem spray (correctly) then the resulting fire is clearly their own fault. They need to learn how to fight fires.

Flare is a tactical weapon and not to be used in an offensice manner, however it is effective when done so correctly. A high reload is probably good because it reduces the fps-lag some flares create, by having flares shoot less overtime.
If you want a weapon that does light up clouds for only a few 1-3 seconds and has a high reload while mainting the 10 stacks of fire thing: Suggest a new gun. The flare is as good as it is.

Double flamer squid probably is the easiest and most effective to fly, yes, if you are up against people that can't chem (correctly). However, like everything in this game, this is a valid ship choice and if you like flying it, do it. If it is too easy, don't fly it? You still have the disadvantages every squid has, so not even chem is required to end your win streak but a smarter pilot is.
If people take flamer to often, let them? Only just because you find it boring doesn't mean anything has to be changed. I find Metamidion boring, should we nerf gat and mortar now or should we instead make pyramidions even weaker ships? I do not see your problem.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:56:42 am »
The flame is the most powerful weapon in the game
Without chemspray the flamethrower is easy mode, the GoI noobtube.
Without chem it's a point and kill weapon and the other ship has no chance if they cant kill/disable/get away in time. If you keep shooting them they will die with nothing they can do about it.

I'm not suggesting making flames overpowered, but I think they need some buffs.

lol wut.

seriously though, fire is more prevalent and more devastating now than it was when 1 stack of fire kicked you out of the guns.

and the flare does not need a buff. it is not designed as an offensive weapon. true it can function as one for the lulz but that does not make it one.  a screwdriver is not a hammer even if you are hitting something with the handle.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:09:10 am »
I think flares should be like mines. If you hit one after it is armed, it adds fire and vanishes. Perhaps reduce the spread a bit as well. I think that is all the buff the flares need at the moment.

The range of the flamethrower should be cut down, though, or spread increased by a substantial amount. It should be scary at close range, but much less so the further you get out. Changing the spread would nerf lesmok quite a bit, and bring heavy back into the picture. Nerfing the range would make greased only good at very close ranges.

If it became an extremely close range gun with nerfs to range and spread, the fire stacks and damage could be buffed to compensate.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 12:34:23 pm »
I wasn't being serious about flame buffs. My point is that it's already so effective that it would be ridiculous to buff. I think that the flamethrower should be a close range weapon- it is not. I don't think it would be unreasonable to reduce the range by 30-40m. Any attribute could be reduced and it would still be the most effective weapon in pub matches. I guess I just don't see the point of having such an easy weapon.

Flare reload time shouldn't be the longest in the game. 12-15 seconds is plenty enough. The flare and flame are the only fire weapons in the game and I like using the flare as a fair alternative to the flame. The flare also punishes not using chem at range. Flares are the funnest mobula killers- try a flare squid
I love the flare mine idea

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:21 pm »
Banshee and Hades are both good flame weapons, and anything with explosive has a chance of setting fires as well. But I suppose you mean they are only fire type damage.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 02:38:13 pm »
And they're the only ones that put significant fire stacks on components. A flare gun-like weapon would have a very useful role and promote chemspray (or make the fire extinguisher useful).