Author Topic: Those Japanese Signals  (Read 16550 times)

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Those Japanese Signals
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 05:29:30 am »
While I'm sure that the Japanese community welcomed these signals (as did many other people who had fun with them during the first week or so :D) I still think that a game which is based so heavily on communication and cooperation should support the use of one single shared language rather than a set of different languages, even in case of voice commands. Probably the original idea was that different nations would use these commands only among themselves, but in fact nobody will ever bother to change them to English once they get into a public match.

If you guys start adding more languages to the current list, it's gonna get awfully confusing. And yep, the English transcription at the bottom of the screen doesnt always help, since one of the main points of the voice command is that you do not need to look at chat to know what is going on (sure, the symbols give a clue, but again you do not always have the luxury of looking at them in tense moments).

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:37 am »
Agree with Andika. There is no reason to have "voice commands" then, if you're making excuses like "hey, it's there in the chat as well".
Would you rather communicate in chat over teamspeak as well? Voice commands are faster and you don't have to shift focus to chat while in combat.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:41:40 am »
I can't believe this actually turned into a discussion.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »
You know that big symbols with arrows also appear on the screen, right?

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 03:45:14 pm »
You know that big symbols with arrows also appear on the screen, right?

Oddly, I managed to forget about this until you mentioned it.

I wouldn't object to the symbols showing up for at least a moment longer than they do at present. They fade just a little too fast for someone with merely quick and not instant recognition of the symbol.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »
I have to admit I'm one of the offenders using the Japanese voices for no reason other than I like them and think they sound cute.  I don't know a lick of Japanese.

Then again, if I have something important to say, I use actual voice chat to say it.  V-commands are reserved for things like "I'm getting on aft guns!" on a pyramidion.  :P

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »
Then again, if I have something important to say, I use actual voice chat to say it.  V-commands are reserved for things like "I'm getting on aft guns!" on a pyramidion.  :P

I have a tendency to call "Man the port guns!" when i can grab the helm of a Squid, and "Man the fore guns!" on my Galleon for no reason other than to annoy one friend who's always on the ship when I do it.

He seems not to have noticed that when I give ACTUAL orders, it's over proper voice chat...