Author Topic: Start streaming!  (Read 10266 times)

Offline OnlyMan.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
Start streaming!
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:44 am »
When I look at big games such as League or StarCraft 2, I think of two things, in terms of publicity. 1.)They are well advertised through their competitions. Now, we are already making progress, being recently picked up by MLG and having some kick-ass tourneys on the way. 2.) The plethora of channels on twitch of people streaming. Im not talking about competitions, necessarily, we already have that nailed down pretty good with the combined efforts of our seasoned casters. Im talking about us, streaming ourselves playing the game, talking about the game and, most of all, having a good time.  Streaming is super easy. Make an account at twitch.tv. Download OBS (open broadcast software) or some other form of free software. Then its just a matter of setting up your camera/microphone/overlays to fit the image you want. Here is a 10 minute YouTube vid I found explaining the process, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIcliA9U0o. For this game to grow, the population needs to grow. This is a great way to show off the game and get people interested. If you would like to see how I approach streaming the game, you can check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/aleyeska. Also check out Rob and Dan, Imagine42, Fourth Oracle, and PuppyFur's stream (sorry if I missed anyone) to see how they go about streaming. If you have any questions, feel free to message me here or in game :D

Safe Skies!
Gabriel "Aleyeska" Connor

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Start streaming!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:44:28 am »
Matchmaking will have to be implemented first for the games to happen on consistent basis, right now you can still end up with a bunch of full lobbies you can't join and one empty lobby filling for 30 minutes, which won't help game advertising much. As much as I wish consistent streaming would be a thing, it'll be troublesome with inconsistent match frequency most of the time.

Offline OnlyMan.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:50 am »
Youre definitely right there. Matchmaking will keep the games chugging along. This is just something for people to think about. :)

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:19 am »
One other huge, HUGE difference is: ingame replays.

Without that, streaming is only a small part of it =(

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:48 am »
+1 for replays. Something like hltv would be huge.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:10:42 am »
Of course, if anyone has any questions about streaming in general feel free to ask me, been doing it for a long time and can certainly assist with stream setups.

On a quick note about streaming GOIO though, I'm not sure how much of a fun viewing experience it is. Not talking about casted tournaments in spectator mode here, I'm talking about someone picking engineer and just running around doing chemspray cycles or whatever. I wish I had a bigger sample size to choose from in this case but from having streamed a lot of just me playing, I'm not entirely convinced it makes for very good viewer material. Don't get me wrong, I love playing the game, just not sure how well it translates to streaming.

Well, regardless, don't let me stop anyone from showing off game stuff, exposure is great and if you're having fun that's more important than what the game is like when watched.

Also, game replays would be nifty but from what I recall about previous discussions from Fireside chats the implementation would be something of a nightmare (iirc you could only play a replay if you had unity engine installed or something).

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
Also, game replays would be nifty but from what I recall about previous discussions from Fireside chats the implementation would be something of a nightmare (iirc you could only play a replay if you had unity engine installed or something).

Well thats the whole point, the replay is only visible from inside the game itself, aka something akin to a time delayed spectator spot.

The idea is to give the user far more information and give them control over what they want to see.

I think our current spectator streams are actually okay for this idea, given the vast amount of information we're able to see on the overlays, but more control is always nice.

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »
I'm betting over 75% of the playerbase doesn't have an internet connection suitable for both playing and streaming simultaneously.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
I don't stream... anything.

I admit I certainly don't have the connection necessary to do both at the same time, and probably a lot of other people don't have the connection either, but a replay function might be quite helpful in alleviating that issue.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:32:47 pm »
The only way to make streaming really interesting is to have as many people as possible in a match streaming to a single person who then switches between views for the interesting bits to re-stream on the fly. More like the camera room at a sporting event than a personal stream.

Also, I only came to this thread because I thought it read "Start screaming!".

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:43:06 pm »
Also, I only came to this thread because I thought it read "Start screaming!".

Which could potentially be another way to making streaming interesting.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »
I've started a Clan corner streaming, dunno if people are interested in these sort of thing but you can check my first broadcast of it is at http://www.twitch.tv/abbytherat/b/555199636

I think my next Clan for Clan Corner is Grim.. but this is not confirmed