Author Topic: Change when player setting are permanently saved?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
Change when player setting are permanently saved?
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »
So, one of the things I've been noticing because of disconnects and game crashes is that player settings aren't actually saved until you close the game. The result is a number of annoying circumstances:

You're change some keybindings, decide you like it, then your game crashes and when you re-enter the game, your bindings have reverted.

You decided to change some graphics settings because of all this Frame-rate drop nonesense that's been going on, but then you crash (it does this with disconnects as well), come back and you're still on x8 AA and your light effects are cranked out, but you don't notice until several games later when you go to see if you can turn them down some more.

You have a new ship loadout, you run it for a match and really like it, but you disconnect halfway through and come back to finish the game. In the next lobby, you decide you want to stick with the same ship, assume you've still got the same ship, but realize only after the next game starts that because you've disconnected, your presets have reverted and you feel exceptionally silly that you asked everyone to bring greased rounds for your mercs. 

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Change when player setting are permanently saved?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »
Most games save settings to a file when you quit the game in order to prevent it both corrupting and so you aren't doing a file write in the middle of games and whatnot. I suspect that is happening here.

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:35:55 pm »
Ah. Yeah, I was thinking there was probably a reason why that hard-save was happening when you hit "quit" and not when you hit "Done" or "Save Settings". I was also thinking that having it go ahead and do that mid-game probably wouldn't be such a big deal either. It might mean you're stuck on the options screen after hitting "done" just a few moments longer, but I'm used to having that every time I change graphics setting anyways.

I wonder what the consequences of having a corrupted settings file would be? Seems to me it wouldn't be so bad to fix, because you'd just delete the file and start afresh. I browse past the player config file every time I go to pull a log for some bug fix anyways, so we should pretty much all know where it is.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
Almost every game I've ever seen will have settings you've changed not get saved upon game crashing, this is not something that's unique to GOIO.