Author Topic: We don't need new art, we need a working game.  (Read 27777 times)

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: We don't need new art, we need a working game.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »
So, I have to put my foot in my mouth regarding some of the performance issues that are going on. From what I understand, 3v3's are still kind of gnarly when the flamethrowers and other particle start to come out (reports are the Iron Fork of Friday was pretty abysmal for that reason.) But I played a few 2v2's over the past few days and at least those games seem exceptionally stable, even when I'm playing on Euro servers (I 'm on the west coast of the U.S., the best coast).

So, yeah, stuffs clearly getting fix, and a lot faster than I was expecting, so I have to thank the Muse for the work that they've put into stabilizing this game post-patch, much better than the work I've put into this run-on sentence. 

I haven't been able to do any 3v3's though, but as soon as I can get into another game of Scrap, you'll be getting a log. Hopefully it'll be helpful.

I still had problems on 2v2s as of yesterday.  Just loaded up the game for the first time today right now; will report back with my findings.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
So, I can confirm that regardless of whether I'm playing 2v2s or 3v3s, the framerate is fine when I start playing but then gets progressively worse after a couple matches, memory usage goes up to 2GB or so, and restarting the game fixes it temporarily.  All signs point to memory leak.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:55 pm »
So, I can confirm that regardless of whether I'm playing 2v2s or 3v3s, the framerate is fine when I start playing but then gets progressively worse after a couple matches, memory usage goes up to 2GB or so, and restarting the game fixes it temporarily.  All signs point to memory leak.

This issue is in the game since the Day 1 I played, game launcher file constantly increasing in size until you run out of memory, and I believe it has something to do with the game being available on Steam, and definitely getting worse because of minimizing the game. There's that one unwritten rule "Never minimize games on Steam". I'm not sure if you actually do minimize it, but another way to make the issue not affect you as much is to avoid it as much as possible, as it only makes it worse.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:32 pm »
I never minimize the game so I have no data to contribute to this theory.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 07:55:33 pm »
The company called Introversion Software, also small company, who created game called Prison Architect, may be a good example of what Muse should do. Of course their game is completely different but they work on a monthly basis (game is still in alpha and every month there is an update with new stuff) and one month was dedicated only to fix all the bugs they could (reported by players) in the order of most annoying (most votes) to least annoying. To gather all bug reports together player used website called mantis (https://www.mantisbt.org/). Maybe if we give Muse enough support and make this kind of deal with them - at least most annoying problems will be fixed? I'm a little concerned that Muse may not have enough raw workforce to handle both the developement of skirmnish mode and making co-op/ adventure mode.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:50 pm »
An open bugtracker would be nice to have so we know what's being worked on. The developers of Natural Selection 2 for example have a public trello for example. We already have a rudimentary system like that with the friday chats, but it doesn't work very well.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
...it doesn't just happen on windows or Linux... It is present on OSX (tested on 10.9.4 Mavericks and 10.10 Yosemite public beta.) Integrated graphics or not doesn't matter, the lag's still there.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »
After several hours of play yesterday, I did not experience any framerate drops.  New patch seems to have fixed it!  Thanks!

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:33 am »
After several hours of play yesterday, I did not experience any framerate drops.  New patch seems to have fixed it!  Thanks!

Yep, however I am experiencing occasional freezes for a second or two at a time. Doesn't really impact gameplay much (not as much as the lag bug at least) but they seem pretty regular.

Offline Teh Celery's

• Salutes: 6
    • [Hwut]
    • View Profile
    • WasteOfTime
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 08:47:20 pm »
How are they going to make us a chef hat if they suspend the artwork? Didn't think about that now did you.

:o
DO WANTS!!!

To give an actual post, I do notice a significant drop in FPS on certain maps whenever the flamethrower starts going.
I have never had that problem before this patch.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 06:11:29 am »
Muse has already made leaps and bounds working with players and fixing bugs, and their extensive network of CAs and devs working closely with players with the dev app have performed admirably directing amateur testers such as myself and many of the others with the dev app to clear up graphical and framerate issues.

TLDR: Stop bitching and email Muse about getting a key for the Dev App, then get testing. Seriously. I don't even play GoIO competitively (as of yet) but I'm willing to drop time for some bugsearching. If there's a biiiiig problem, then help to fix it.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 06:26:17 am »
Disappearing ships is just people playing as a spy.

Use a flare gun or flamethrower to reveal their position. (Or make whale calls in crew chat to act as a sonar.)

In all serious though i mean there are bugs, but personally they don't 'bug' me.
Sure ships vanish sometimes, sure it goes into slow motion sometimes.
I still had fun in those games. Surely that's what games are about no?
They need fixing, sure and they will at some point. But hey let's all chill and shoot each other in airships and have a good ol' time in the mean time.

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »
If you think GOI is buggy, then you haven't played gw2, haha. And I agree with Replaceable, none of these bugs really bug me either..