Author Topic: More uses for Javelins!  (Read 7684 times)

Offline PurpleFox

• Salutes: 0
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
More uses for Javelins!
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »
I know this may seem silly, but besides for the achievements, how many times do you actually use a javelin when there are plenty more options?
I thought i might put up a neat idea on the table, and who knows it may allow for some really cool strategy's.

Scenario 1- Lay down some mines (Or have your ally do it), then proceed to javelin the floating mines!
What is the end result? A mine trailing behind you just waiting for you to use the phoenix claw and send a 5 ton explosive object straight into your enemy's like an explosive flail!
That on its own could spark some cool javelin+bomb only games.
BombBall?

Scenario 2- You and an ally attack an enemy on both the left and right side at the same time, the attack? Javelins!
What do you do next? Fly away, tearing the ship apart! (Or at the very least instant armor down)

Scenario 3- Rope slicing! Javelin a friendly unit right before attacking in the same way as above, the result? Crushing an enemy in between you both.
But what if you both javelin'ed each other? Well then you would end up having a giant rope just waiting to cut through a balloon!

If the javelins themselves had a hit-box that could stick to anything they touch, how amazing would that be.
Need a quick turn? Javelin+Kerosene
Want an explosive flail? Javelin+Bomb+Phoenix Claw
So many possibilities! All the javelin needs is more things to stick too!

Plus..BOMBBALL!

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: More uses for Javelins!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
Javelines sticking to most surfaces can lead to sabotages or difficult gameplay generally.

But it would be nice to have more uses for it. Currently its use is actually effective if used well but the difficulty is large as the reloading is long (If i remember correctly, it is still 13 or something seconds.) Making for some unforgiveness if you miss but a reward if you hit.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:17 pm »
Javelines sticking to most surfaces can lead to sabotages or difficult gameplay generally.

But it would be nice to have more uses for it. Currently its use is actually effective if used well but the difficulty is large as the reloading is long (If i remember correctly, it is still 13 or something seconds.) Making for some unforgiveness if you miss but a reward if you hit.
I do believe the reload time will be shortened, it was in the dev app for a while.

Offline PurpleFox

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:20:54 am »

Sabotage?
I totally get where your coming from, but in reality competitive play wouldn't actually be in any trouble, people would still run with meta-mydians and such, its easier to use, the majority of player know how to use common loadouts, and will still win a match no problem.

Having Javelins affect bombs, walls, allies and such is nice, but I doubt someone would go out of there way to troll a competitive battle like that, really the addition would be more for messing around and doing crazy stunts. (Plus I really want to have football match with exploding mines)

Your own ally bombs don't actually hurt you btw (Unless that one that went through my ship was a bug XD), so explosive flails would be of no consequence either.
If you have ever played AC: Black Flag and faced the HMS Fearless & Royal Sovereign you would know that they attack at the same time, trapping you in a box, these kinds of strategies need to be planned and played out to get it to the kind of sync you would need to make yourself combat worthy with "Ropes and Javelins", not the kind of thing the average player would attempt when thy can just get it done faster with a Gatling Gun and Mortar.

As for "Difficult gameplay"
Naaaaaaa... having it stick to a few extra things wont hurt, especially if you plan on doing this sort of thing your captain is most likely prepared with impact bumpers.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:41:32 am »

Sabotage?
I totally get where your coming from, but in reality competitive play wouldn't actually be in any trouble, people would still run with meta-mydians and such, its easier to use, the majority of player know how to use common loadouts, and will still win a match no problem.

Having Javelins affect bombs, walls, allies and such is nice, but I doubt someone would go out of there way to troll a competitive battle like that, really the addition would be more for messing around and doing crazy stunts. (Plus I really want to have football match with exploding mines)

Your own ally bombs don't actually hurt you btw (Unless that one that went through my ship was a bug XD), so explosive flails would be of no consequence either.
If you have ever played AC: Black Flag and faced the HMS Fearless & Royal Sovereign you would know that they attack at the same time, trapping you in a box, these kinds of strategies need to be planned and played out to get it to the kind of sync you would need to make yourself combat worthy with "Ropes and Javelins", not the kind of thing the average player would attempt when thy can just get it done faster with a Gatling Gun and Mortar.

Naaaaaaa... having it stick to a few extra things wont hurt, especially if you plan on doing this sort of thing your captain is most likely prepared with impact bumpers.

As someone who has been killed by my ally intentionally bombing me, yes, they DO hurt you. The main problem with harpoons working like this is in 99% of matches, you're playing non-competitively. You can't build for the 1%-ers. Games dont work like that. In the other 99% of the game, this change to the harpoon would probably result in trolls intentionally shooting the walls and totally screwing you over. It could even happen with non-trolls if they miss a shot, which is just as bad. Too many situations where this causes more problems rather than creating good opportunities. I like the idea in concept, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't work in execution.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:41:03 am »
I do want to be able to harpoon terrain and slingshot my ship around corners.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:22 am »
I don't think the game can even handle something like this.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:06:01 am »
I do want to be able to harpoon terrain and slingshot my ship around corners.

I really do wish this could happen. It just seems like what an airship with a harpoon would do-a sky anchor!

If that isn't possible, I think making the harpoon more controllable by players would be nice. Being able to reel in the harpoon on command (it would stay at the length it was attached at until reeled) would be nice, allowing the player to control the length of the rope would be cool as well. If a Heavy Harpoon could be made, I'd like it to be able to penetrate through a ship and pin it to a solid object for a short time.

(off topic: by "bombs" they meant Mines, which do have friendly fire)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:04 pm »
This is may not be a new mechanic or work 100%, but back harpoon on a squid.

At times it is just impossible to run away from a pyra or goldfish behind you even with tar and mines, they will just be too close. In order to not let this happens you harpoon them when they are behind you and force them to follow a very predictable path. While this happens you use hydro/chute vent to dodge, the very predictable path the enemy takes, vertically and now you have their back turned towards your front gun.
How often it happens that the pyra/goldfish is behind you, not too close and that the harpoon is not destroyed is questionable, but it proved to work (even if sometimes not neccessary at all).

Offline PurpleFox

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »

Sabotage?

As someone who has been killed by my ally intentionally bombing me, yes, they DO hurt you. The main problem with harpoons working like this is in 99% of matches, you're playing non-competitively. You can't build for the 1%-ers. Games dont work like that. In the other 99% of the game, this change to the harpoon would probably result in trolls intentionally shooting the walls and totally screwing you over. It could even happen with non-trolls if they miss a shot, which is just as bad. Too many situations where this causes more problems rather than creating good opportunities. I like the idea in concept, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't work in execution.

Glad to know bombs ally bombs/mines hurt, as i have yet to hit one.
Here's the thing though, if your afraid of having a random player use the mechanic to troll your ship, don't put it on the ship?
I'm not trying to single out the 1%, rather add a mechanic that brings realism as well as many creative uses.

Also, who said it had to attach to everything? (ok maybe i did, but that's besides the point)
You think a javelin would get stuck in the sand dunes? What about the hard cliff faces in the canyon map?
Not all surfaces have to be "Sticky", just the ones that would be realistic, things like light metal sheets, chains of bombs, trees, etc.
Having it stick to EVERYTHING would not only be an annoyance for missing, but also a game-killer, on that we agree.

I feel like this is something that would be totally do-able within the game, but we can all agree it definitely needs to be fleshed out,

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:34:30 am »
It needs the old reload time back and possibly a increase on the projectile speed.