Author Topic: MORG Gaming Nights  (Read 17591 times)

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: MORG Gaming Nights
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:23 pm »
Must drink scotch and smoke cigars on a daily basis and preferrably during events.

if  you find any of your pencil-necks chickens ever smoked an entire cigar, that would be a miracle ^^

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
It's a comforting thought, to know that it's impossible to make a blatant, over the top joke thread without some people taking it seriously. Ah, Poes's Law. (Come on, look at the OP. The joke *is* the fact that it's blatantly sexist/chauvinistic. It's poking fun at the mindset, rather than embracing it.)

Anyway, I assume the only dicks worthy of being considered dicks must be 12+? How can I tell if I'm manly if I don't have a fire extinguisher down there?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:04:15 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 01:00:09 pm »
It's a comforting thought, to know that it's impossible to make a blatant, over the top joke thread without some people taking it seriously. Ah, Poes's Law. (Come on, look at the OP. The joke *is* the fact that it's blatantly sexist/stereotypically misogynist.)

It's a comforting thought, to know that apologists for threads that should not exist will continue to promote such things.

Wait no hold on, what's the opposite of comforting?

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 01:17:32 pm »
"For such threads?"

Look, what's it attacking? Because as best I can tell, it's poking fun at stereotypical hyper-masculine sorta shit. If I'm wrong, correct me, but it's in the pit, and is patently too over-the-top ridiculous to be serious.

This discussion has gotten entirely too serious for the pit, alas.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:21:26 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »
"For such threads?"

Look, what's it attacking? Because as best I can tell, it's poking fun at stereotypical hyper-masculine sorta shit. If I'm wrong, correct me, but it's in the pit, and is patently too over-the-top ridiculous to be serious.

This discussion has gotten entirely too serious for the pit, alas.

You do realize that this is basically a mockery of https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4824.msg80206.html#msg80206 right?

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:05 am »
I'd dispute that this is mockery (I think it was posted for fun rather than to make a point), but regardless I don't think it should be censored or met with such a hostile response.

If it's acceptable for B'Elanna to make fun of men with a ridiculous male stereotype (see the comic she likes to repost, earlier this thread) then why is it unacceptable for someone to make fun of B'Elanna with a ridiculous male stereotype? Mezhu isn't actively trying to prevent her group or pursuing any kind of hate campaign to discourage women from participating. This can either be interpreted as a pure joke or as a humorous expression of an opinion. Either way it's something he is and should be entitled to do.

If there's anything inappropriate in this thread it's Gilder. If you have a problem with this thread, make a rational argument against it rather than making the kind of personal attack that would get you warned/banned on most forums.

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »
There are two ways we can look at this. The first way we can look at is that it's an attempt to express a (rather spiteful) opinion by drawing false equivalency, saying that a group where women who have been trolled and harrassed (as B'Elanna has) can have a safe space to game is somehow equivalent to creating a stereotypically mysognist, homophobic male-only group. The second way we can look at it is that it's simply an unfunny joke that has missed the mark.

Given what I know about Mezhu and his history of trolling I'm inclined to think it's the former. As is often the case, though Gilder has not expressed his opinion diplomatically, his heart is in the right place. I agree with Velvet that there should not be blatant personal attacks in the forums, but I am also concerned about toxicity in the community that can be spread in far more subtle and powerful ways by trolling. If I'm wrong and this thread is all just good fun then I welcome Mezhu to come forward and explain that this is the case.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:35:10 pm by Brick Hardcastle »

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »
NO ONE CARES WHAT MEN CONSIDER SEXIST.

just because something is "über ironic sexism" doesn't mean it's not sexist.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »
Mods, I'm only going to give you one warning. Lock this thread now. There is a 99.99% chance this is going to get a lot worse very quickly.

Velvet, don't stick your nose into something you know nothing about. I take these matters personally because I've known too many women who have to put up with trash like this. Many of them play alone or refrain from speaking out of fear of what men do when they discover a female player. I really don't care about bans/etc when it comes to crap like this from a known troll like Mezhu. Heck to be banned for taking a stand against this would be fine by me at this point. You want to stand up for him and troll women, fine, you are now in the crosshairs too. Just because I think highly of the Gents doesn't mean squat in a situation like this. Behavior like this needs to be stopped and its about time Muse changes their policy towards these sorts of players before this place turns into LoL or XBL.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:32 pm »
Joke or not, this is not helping the current climate of discussion. We dislike locking threads, but lets keep discussions on this kind of topic constructive
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:29:17 pm by Goldenglade »