Author Topic: Make leveling more rewarding  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Make leveling more rewarding
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »
In obvious support of Tropo's suggestion for more starch-based rewards at higher levels.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if people have missed why I put that picture up there ;)

I saw the typo and understood why.  Don't worry.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:59:54 am »
Lets add AI costume customization that unlocks then mix traveler theme with swimsuit outfits. Then we can all go around flying harems! :D

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:30 am »
lol my spelling being so wrong i have written another word :D

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:19 am »
How do I eat this baguette while engineering? I'd probably choke!

On topic: IMHO If the reward is not a gameplay (meaning it visually and obviously changes something in-game) item, then it doesn't matter. See expectations of many newbies of "upgrades" or "new weapons" as rewards for level ups.

For gameplay items that are not game breaking I'd suggest filters to make the game saturated/black and white, different weapon themes/SFX, voice packs. Anything that feels like an "upgrade."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:11:10 am by vyew »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »
I also support adding more pirate-sounding voices.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »
How do I eat this baguette while engineering? I'd probably choke!

On topic: IMHO If the reward is not a gameplay (meaning it visually and obviously changes something in-game) item, then it doesn't matter. See expectations of many newbies of "upgrades" or "new weapons" as rewards for level ups.

For gameplay items that are not game breaking I'd suggest filters to make the game saturated/black and white, different weapon themes/SFX, voice packs. Anything that feels like an "upgrade."

It matters to the people who don't make a lot of money and spend the dosh they get selling trading cards to afford cosmetics. Also, back in the day there were no triple premium ultra exclusive DLCs, and that everything, cosmetic or no, was unlockable in one form or another. It bothers me that we're okay with games not providing that content along with the game anymore. That being said, I love you to death Muse and you deserve all the money you get from selling cosmetic items. I just think you should take a page from TF2's book and make everything available to your players.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:40 am »

For visual and obvious changes, look around at your crewmates, and view yourself in third-person for comparison. See skill level comparison between "newbies" and veteran players for reasons why actual gameplay-related alterations would be a bad idea. Without new content, skilled players demolish inexperienced crew members. I'm still new, but I've picked up a lot of things very quickly. I'm not quite one of the big kids, but I can hold my own in random non-novice pub matches and usually finish on the winning team.

Filters is actually a cool idea, but not gameplay-related by any means. Purely cosmetic, like character customisation. Not sure how viable an option it would be for the game as it currently stands, but if possible, I'd actually quite like this.

Weapon themes are something for ship customisation, and would be cool, BUT the idea of changing weapon sounds is kind of problematic, imo. Hearing is an important sense for gamers, and compromising it could weaken gameplay. Being able to quickly recognise the weapon you're being shot with makes a huge difference sometimes. Not saying it can't be done, but each weapon's sound would have to be distinctive and still similar to the defaults.

Character voices as later-level unlocks though? GREAT! I'm all for it.

EDIT: You may notice the only suggestion I'm disagreeing with is also the only one with an actual impact on gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:35:24 am by obliviondoll »

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:21 am »

For visual and obvious changes, look around at your crewmates, and view yourself in third-person for comparison. See skill level comparison between "newbies" and veteran players for reasons why actual gameplay-related alterations would be a bad idea. Without new content, skilled players demolish inexperienced crew members. I'm still new, but I've picked up a lot of things very quickly. I'm not quite one of the big kids, but I can hold my own in random non-novice pub matches and usually finish on the winning team.

Filters is actually a cool idea, but not gameplay-related by any means. Purely cosmetic, like character customisation. Not sure how viable an option it would be for the game as it currently stands, but if possible, I'd actually quite like this.

Weapon themes are something for ship customisation, and would be cool, BUT the idea of changing weapon sounds is kind of problematic, imo. Hearing is an important sense for gamers, and compromising it could weaken gameplay. Being able to quickly recognise the weapon you're being shot with makes a huge difference sometimes. Not saying it can't be done, but each weapon's sound would have to be distinctive and still similar to the defaults.

Character voices as later-level unlocks though? GREAT! I'm all for it.

EDIT: You may notice the only suggestion I'm disagreeing with is also the only one with an actual impact on gameplay.

It is indeed a very bad idea to introduce the gameplay-affecting unlocks, but I fear that just having more cosmetics isn't going to hold players' interests when compared with the unlock-heavy progression systems of modern games.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:37 am »
One of the only reasons I play this game is because it doesn't try and hope my interest with unlocks. When you start this game you have the option to immediately access everything that effects gameplay. What changes over time is your skill level and your opponents. I don't want yet another game that hangs a carrot in front of my face the whole time. I've stopped playing a lot of games simply because they seemed to put more emphasis on "progression" then on the actual gameplay.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:06 am »
Well the idea behind this topic was "make more cosmetic stuff to unlock throughout the game", not "make me be stronger on higher lvl".

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
Yeah, I was just providing a counter-point to the idea that unlock-heavy games are more interesting to players. More cosmetics are always fun though.