Author Topic: Damage Type Combinations (for discussion and new ideas)  (Read 22244 times)

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Damage Type Combinations (for discussion and new ideas)
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:44 am »
Direct/AOE

Existing combinations:
Piercing/Shatter (Gatling, Mercury)
Piercing/Impact (Mine Launcher)

Shatter/Flechette (Lumberjack)

Flechette/Shatter (Carronades)
Flechette/Piercing (Harpoon)

Explosive/Explosive (Mortar, Banshee, Flaks)
Explosive/Shatter (Artemis, Hwacha)

Fire/Piercing (Hades)
Fire/Fire (Flamethrower, Flare)

Unused combinations:
Piercing/Piercing
Piercing/Flechette
Piercing/Explosive
Piercing/Fire

Shatter/Piercing
Shatter/Shatter
Shatter/Explosive
Shatter/Fire
Shatter/Impact

Flechette/Flechette
Flechette/Explosive
Flechette/Fire
Flechette/Impact

Explosive/Piercing
Explosive/Flechette
Explosive/Impact
Explosive/Fire

Fire/Shatter
Fire/Flechette
Fire/Explosive
Fire/Impact

Impact/Piercing
Impact/Shatter
Impact/Flechette
Impact/Explosive
Impact/Fire
Impact/Impact

Plenty of new room for new ideas, go! Or perhaps there can be more life squeezed out of the few that are already used. Here are my favorites:

Piercing/Piercing. Dedicated piercing gun, maybe like a semi-automatic rifle or revolver. Has actual penetration of ships (because it doesn't have Shatter, I don't think it would be OP like the Mercury with penetration apparently was). Maybe in both light and heavy versions

Flechette/Flechette. Gun that has 1 accurate shot (perhaps needing to be lobbed like a frag grenade) that instakills a balloon, but needs a long reload. Like Lochnagar Lumberjack, but as a light gun and doesn't require actual Lochnagar.

Impact/Impact. Shoots a very heavy projectile that knocks back ships, in addition to a small amount of disabling power (less than the current Mine Launcher). Heavy gun.

Fire/Explosive. Missile launcher that shoots 3 missiles at once. Direct fire damage allows decent damage on the balloon or 9 fire stacks (3 per missile) on components if aimed accurately (heavy clip removes the spread of the 3 missiles.) The explosive part seals the deal.

Shatter/Fire. A projectile weapon that needs very high accuracy to destroy any component in 1 shot, but near misses drop some fire stacks instead. Could be a projectile of molten metal, that "melts" components and splashes the molten metal everywhere.

Flechette/Fire. Focused sunlight laser beam!

I think it's quite unfortunate that a significant number of the unused combinations could easily result in "1 gun that does it all" and thus turn out to be overpowered.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Type Combinations (for discussion and new ideas)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:23 am »
I like the Fire/Explosive, esp because it will be more viable to shoot while armor is still up, helping disable nonchem'd parts.

I think shatter/fire unless it is something that gets more shots than the merc will not be used, simply because the merc already one shots all guns and does very well vs hull too. No need for fire when you have so much raw damage.

Piercing/piercing is too powerful vs armor - engineers are already completely at the mercy of the enemy team's accuracy when it comes to armor rebuild, and if anything pierces it faster than gatling or merc ships will just all completely die miserably in a "who fired first" kind of scenario.

Flechette/fire is interesting, but keep in mind that since we have incendiery ammo this type of gun needs to prove superior to that. I like the idea of a balloon popper that also adds fire inherently, but the current carronade pops a balloon in one clip (w/ heavy or all shots hitting) so fire seems like not terribly necessary.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:16:34 am »
harpoon is piercing/flechette

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:59 am »

Ya but, harpoon ain't a gun, it's a fishing tool, we use it to hunt Sky whales that will be introduced in a future patch.

On topic:

Explosive/Fire is something cool that'd I'd like to see, perhaps as an incindiery grenade launcher.

some other combinations would prove to be a bit OP :3
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:44:07 am by Echoez »

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
Awkm wants to break the banshee by changing it from double explosive to explosive fire. =/

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:27 am »

WHOOPS! Sorry about that :)

EDIT: YOU LIE! It's Flechette/Piercing!!!

As for the Banshee change, I believe that it is supposed to make the Banshee the only light gun that can pop balloons at long range using the Fire damage type.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:39:31 am by vyew »

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

As for the Banshee change, I believe that it is supposed to make the Banshee the only light gun that can pop balloons at long range using the Fire damage type.

Hades is already good at popping balloons.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:33 am »

Hades is already good at popping balloons.

The Hades applies Fire type damage as Direct, not AoE, which means the Pyramdion's balloon is mostly OK. The Banshee would have Fire as its AoE damage type, allowing it to hit the Pyramidion's balloon through the armor, or with hull hits on other ships.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:31 am »
Can I point out that combining Piercing and Explosive in a gun would be pretty broken as it would be able to destroy a ship all by itself with incredible ease? Having two of them on the front of a pyra would be the new meta most likely.
Also, and this is where things get really dodgy, some of the guns in the game right now have a secondary damage type that deals more damage than their primary. As such, I wouldn't discriminate between Shatter/Flechette  and Flechette/Shatter for instance. That cuts the number of damage combos in half sadly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:41:18 am by -Muse- Jacob »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:43:27 pm »
Can I point out that combining Piercing and Explosive in a gun would be pretty broken as it would be able to destroy a ship all by itself with incredible ease? Having two of them on the front of a pyra would be the new meta most likely.

A tweak in the damage, a tune in the fire rate and give a few shots. The sole fact that this gun could technically kill on it's own is not going to make it broken and if it is weak enough a pyramidion with the typical gat/mortar would probably win against it. Especially since both of these guns will shoot at the same time, which could lead to both guns reloading when the armor is down, resulting in the lack of kill.

I would like such a gun on a squid somewhere, maybe for some people on the pyra side because most people don't want to use it, so this could give them some reason to use it. Goldfish side as well and some more.

Wether this gun is broken is not a matter of damage type, it's a matter of balance.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
I think an Explosive/Fire Firebomb-Type weapon would be neat, and good for spreading fire around at a distance.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:44 am »
Also, and this is where things get really dodgy, some of the guns in the game right now have a secondary damage type that deals more damage than their primary. As such, I wouldn't discriminate between Shatter/Flechette  and Flechette/Shatter for instance. That cuts the number of damage combos in half sadly.

Not quite, because the secondary damage type can have an AoE and can therefore hit multiple components, or hit the balloon through a Pyramidion's armor. Imagine if the Lumberjack had Flechette as Direct and not AoE damage.

Also, yes I think that Explosive/Fire or Fire/Explosive seems to be the most interesting and not likely to be overpowered combination. Plus, it fits in with the alternate reality timeline because firebombs were definitely available in WW1/WW2.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:31:28 am by vyew »

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:05:04 am »
Also, yes I think that Explosive/Fire or Fire/Explosive seems to be the most interesting and not likely to be overpowered combination. Plus, it fits in with the alternate reality timeline because firebombs were definitely available in WW1/WW2.

Heavy Napalm Launcher!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »
If there were a Piercing/Explosive gun, I would make it a support gun with high angles of rotation, but pretty low damage per shot. If we compare it to a gat/mortar combo, you would have to have about 3 or 4 of these guns to do the same damage. This would make it a supplemental trifecta gun along with the Artemis.

I think an Impact/Flechette would do well as a very short range Claymore mine type heavy gun. Fires hundreds of shot in one burst in a wide horizontal spread, knocking a ship back and damaging the balloon. Could be Impact/Shatter instead as well.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:49:40 am »
DISCLAIMER:Everything in this post is only but a suggestion and,whether it's name or balance-wise, a subject to change, don't get butthurt if you consider a weapon unbalanced with its high damage, numbers can be changed.

1.Hephaestus light bombard cannon.
Fire/Impact
Light gun
Long range (1500m), Arming time at 900m
Fire damage 150, Impact Damage 120
AoE 60, 3 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 0.80, Reload Speed 0.13
Projectile speed 240m/s , Shell drop 10m/s2
Horizontal angles 30
Vertical angles 10, 65

Highly rewarding for long-range shots, large AoE for good long range spread of fires, benefits alot from lochnagar shots, can be used downwards to bombard people from above. Slow projectile speed makes it hard to shoot, small clip, rate of fire and reload speed, as well as high arming time make it a situational and, from my perspective, balanced gun.

2.Athena Light Spear Launcher
Piercing/Flechette
Light Gun
Medium Range (800m)
Piercing Damage 80, Flechette Damage 70
AoE 0, 6 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 0.75, Reload Speed 0.17
Projectile speed 300m/s , Shell drop 10m/s2
Horizontal angles 50
Vertical angles 35, 15

Not excelling at neither total damage or dps with either armor break or balloon pop compared to gatling or carronade, yet good for mid-long range harassment in both cases, relatively easy to shoot and it has good arcs. A supportive gun of sort, consider it a secondary option for banshee in your ship layout.

3.Apollo Light Autocannon
Piercing/Piercing
Light gun
Long Range (1000m)
Piercing Damage 6, Piercing Damage 12
AoE 4, 45 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 3.50, Reload Speed 0.17
Projectile speed 325m/s , Shell drop 5m/s2
Horizontal angles 30
Vertical angles 30
Additional notes: Shots spread like light flak.

DPS lower than incendiary hades, but it's relatively easy to shoot and has higher total damage per clip than any gun apart from burst gatling. Shot spread makes it additionaly unreliable with aiming for balance reasons, so the DPS may vary more. Has no arming time, so even if it's not better than greased gatling and dps wise it's worse than accurately aimed hades, it is an additional armor breaking weapon option.

4. Ares light Falconet
Explosive/Fire
Light Gun
Long Range (2000m), Arming time at 700m
Explosive Damage 130,  Fire Damage 70
AoE 40, 2 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 0.4, Reload speed 0.15
Projectile speed 700m/s, Shell drop 10m/s2
Horizontal angles 15
Vertical Angles 20, 5

A gun to pair with mercury. Very good killing potential, high AoE for long range flame stack appliance, but very slow fire rate and reload speed, also narrow arcs. Also I was thinking of a badass huge flamecloud showing up for a moment after hit, we seem to be lacking weapons with high badass factor when it comes to the visuals.

5.Thanatos light cannon
Piercing/Explosive
Light gun
Short range (150m)
Piercing Damage 70,Explosive Damage 130
AoE 30, 4 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 0.8, Reload speed 0.13
Projectile speed 625m/s, Shell drop 6m/s2
Horizontal angles 35
Vertical angles 30

Good killing potential. Not as good as mortar, but the weapon has piercing damage, so it can break armor AND kill. High AoE on explosive with good flamestack appliance percentage, relatively slow fire rate and very slow reload. Most importantly, even if it is very powerful because of its damage types, it's a very short range weapon, so it can be used effectively only when you're incredibly close. I was thinking of the projectile exploding at its maximum range if it won't hit anything, making a fire cloud (look badass factor), and also affecting your own ship as well, like mine, if you charge into it, it may help with balancing the gun as a "double-edged sword" that cannot be used reckressly when closing in on the enemy, or it may affect you more than you wish it did. This is only for the case of the gun being too powerful as it is.

6.Tartaros Heavy Shrapnel gun
Shatter/Fire
Heavy gun
Short range (400m)
Shatter Damage 1 , Fire Damage 1.2
AoE 4, 100 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 10.00, Reload speed 0.07
Projectile speed 450m/s, Shell drop 6m/s2
Horizontal angles 35
Vertical angles 35
Additional notes:Shot spread like flamer/carronade/hwacha.

A heavy gun with immense component disable potential. It's relatively short range, it doesn't have killing potential of a hwacha, but it can keep the components damaged on a consistent basis for the duration of 10 seconds, and it can ignite alot of fires with its huge clip. Reloads for a long time, it has good arcs. Initially I wanted it to be a heavy flamer, but then I realized that  damage passing through the entire ship would be op with those statistics. Sorry Cake :<

And now the funtime, guns with new mechanics!

7.Zeus Ray Cannon
Piercing/Flechette
Light or Heavy gun
Short range (350m)
Piercing 1, Flechette Damage 1
AoE 0, 25 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 5.00, Reload speed 0.06
Projectile speed 3000m/s
Horizontal angles 60
Vertical angles 35, 25
Additional notes:Tesla cannon, spreads in chain between the components, disables engines for 3 seconds after recieving damage, cooldown refreshing with every damage tick, weapon keeps shooting until the clip gets depleted (proximity ammo-style).

Basically a supportive gun for only but slight damage harassment, but mostly for turning off the engines on the enemy ship. I wanted to implement the "stun" effect after using the gun, but at the same time I wanted to avoid the abuse of refreshing the stun with one round used every 3 seconds, so I went with the proximity idea of a gun shooting itself until the end of clip that we have with the experimental proximity ammo on Dev App. Good arcs, barely any damage, very slow reload speed.

8.Daedalus Missile Launcher
Shatter/Explosive
Light gun
Long Range (1900m) Arming time 500m
Shatter Damage 100 Explosive Damage 60
AoE 3, 1 shot per clip, Rate of Fire 1.00, Reload speed 0.20
Projectile speed 400m/s
Horizontal angles 60
Vertical angles 10, 15
Additional notes:Homing, heatseeker missile, if there's any fire on any component on any ship, the missile flies to the closest fire by itself after arming time, trying to hit the component , charging straight for it. Can hit enemies, allies and your own ship.

A supportive gun. Weaker than Artemis rocket launcher. Its dependance on flamestacks makes it unreliable for actual, straight-line aiming, but it is nonetheless a homing missile.

9.Poseidon Water Cannon
Impact/Shatter
Light gun
Short range (250m)
Impact Damage 1, Shatter Damage 1
AoE 10, 50 shots per clip, Rate of Fire 5.00, Reload speed 0.07
Projectile speed 250m/s Shell drop 10m/s2
Horizontal angles 50
Vertical angles 25, 45
Additional notes:
Extinguishes fires, can push ships around.

Water cannon has been already suggested somewhere on the forums. I still think of it as a cool idea.

10.Aphrodite Repair-bot launcher
no damage
Light gun
Short range (200m)
AoE 0, 1 shot per clip, Rate of Fire 1.00, Reload speed 0.03
Projectile speed 50m/s Shell drop 15m/s2
Horizontal angles 60
Vertical angles 45, 15
Additional notes: Sends out a mini-bot that repairs the component you hit, repairing 20 hp/s for 30 seconds. Works on enemies and allies.

A supportive gun that additionaly repairs the hit component without any cooldown penalty. An idea I've repeatedly suggested to Devs. It's not an energy beam, so it fits more in the steampunk(ish) setting of the game. It's not a crane/repair arm, so there's no problem coming up with the idea of how would it work considering the distance between the ships not being maintained all the time. All comes down to whether or not steampunk robots are an option. I always imagined this repair bot looking like Zeke from Rise of Legends. Look at this little guy, repairing your hull and such.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:06:32 am by Deltajugg »