Author Topic: "I can't hear you" icon  (Read 16555 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
"I can't hear you" icon
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »
Many people play with (non-game) music or for some other reasons can't constantly hear other people talking through a microphone. How about a small icon that allow us to just always inform other players that we can't hear them (and therefore they should contact us through chat)?

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Re: "I can't hear you" icon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:04 pm »
the "don't play with me" icon

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »
That is exactly my tought.

Would be nice to have an icon so i dont yell out the same things over and over again only to realise he cant hear me.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

Well, I understand your concern, although many times I have encountered such situation and with a bit of work it can be just fine. The pilot have tools to communicate without voicechat - he can use V-commends and mark a target enemy with B button. It's harder, obviously, but even if you don't like such players you should be pro-icon because then they are easily recognized and you can avoid them all the time you want ;)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

Well, I understand your concern, although many times I have encountered such situation and with a bit of work it can be just fine. The pilot have tools to communicate without voicechat - he can use V-commends and mark a target enemy with B button. It's harder, obviously, but even if you don't like such players you should be pro-icon because then they are easily recognized and you can avoid them all the time you want ;)

As a Pilot, if someone can't hear me, I'd probably not want them on my ship. I wouldn't care much that I can use v commands or text chat, it takes more time to do either, and that can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
I would really like this.  I have a friend who is generally listening to music while gaming and can't hear people and he clearly has "(no audio)" next to his name on Steam so people will immediately know that he can't hear them and react accordingly.  It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to hold up a whole lobby of people who are ready while you try to tell someone repeatedly "please don't bring two fire suppression tools and a buff hammer" only to find they aren't listening to you at all.

One of the major draws of this game for me (and many others) is that it is really based around teamwork and communication.  When you remove that element, you just get a disorganized mob of people on airships shooting guns at random targets and dying unnecessarily.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:34:33 pm »
Well if you wouldn't want to play with such a person - I guess it's good to let them have some way to communicate their "disability".

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to hold up a whole lobby of people who are ready while you try to tell someone repeatedly "please don't bring two fire suppression tools and a buff hammer" only to find they aren't listening to you at all.

This. Very much.

Edit: Also another idea, the AFK button in lobby with some time limit (let's say 5-10 minutes) which shows the sign [AFK] with some red letters on the right side of person's nickname. If time passes - person is moved to spectator zone (if filled - moved out of lobby). Important thing: the AFK marker doesn't make you unable to start match (or unable captains to click "Ready") - it's just for everyone's information and information only.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:40:30 pm by Mr.Disaster »

Offline NallyNally

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:22 am »
Well hey, if Muse has the time to include it and feels like it, I don't see why not. Other than that, it's nothing you can't get by saying "Hello, I have music on, so if you want something, text me."

Most of the time I actually have music on myself, and I still win about 80% of my games. It's a matter of knowing what you're doing. About the afk, same thing, you can usually guess when someone has decided to alt tab to look at lolcats and is just not here, or is faking to be alt tabbed looking at lolcats so he can bring whatever he feels like rather than what he needs.

TL;DR: They wouldn't do that, because it's a little redundant when you can just say that you have music on, and people can guess that you're AFK.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:07 am »
Well sometimes you change lobbys quite often, and more important - people can join in in the middle and/or forgot/don't notice that you wrote something. Of course the someone who did notice can say "I think he's AFK" or sth like that, but most people won't.

Most of the time I actually have music on myself, and I still win about 80% of my games. It's a matter of knowing what you're doing.
^This^

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:38 am »
I can see this being useful in lobby. After I get my load-out and position instructions I usually wander off and watch funny videos until the game starts. Once the game starts I am fully focused on it and I expect everyone on the ship to be too.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:07 pm »
This may be useful...but I think there is an easier way.

The whole point of this is to communicate to your captain (or crew) that you can't hear voice chat.

So, why don't you just communicate this? =)

Easy as saying "Hello captain/crew, I have voice chat muted. Please use chat or voice commands to communicate with me. Thanks!"

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:15 pm »
Be better to just have an icon that states "No Mic" or "Sound off". Other games do it. Would do wonders because then you can either type or just refuse to fly with them.

Offline RistoH

• Salutes: 4
    • [─┼──]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »
Be better to just have an icon that states "No Mic" or "Sound off".

Had some discussion on a "mic user" icon and it was added to the "pile of ideas". That is slightly different but would do a great favor to many people.

Offline RistoH

• Salutes: 4
    • [─┼──]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »
Be better to just have an icon that states "No Mic" or "Sound off".

Had some discussion on a "mic user" icon and it was added to the "pile of ideas". That is slightly different but would do a great favor to many people.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »
Sent it to the Devs and the comment was it's an interesting idea. So let's keep our fingers crossed ;)