Author Topic: Mercury Field Gun- Repurposed  (Read 21794 times)

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Mercury Field Gun- Repurposed
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »
Just a minor thing that I noticed that's worth pointing out. Field guns are large calibre mounted guns that are used in land tactical combat, particularly during WWI and WWII. The Mercury being a field gun means that it was originally used as a massive-ass sniper rifle during land combat, apparently re-purposed to fit on our airships. Interesting thought.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Mercury Field Gun- Repurposed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »
Something like this?

That was, at one point, going to be a gun in this game. Turns out having guns the size of ships didn't quite work.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:54:27 pm »
Mounted on wheels, yeah. And it'd work if they added ships with Large slots. I mean, right now we've got small and medium sized guns, having a 'Large' slot could be a thing that happens.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:00:06 am »
I still want the village killer in game you know, I've been after that thing for 2 years now.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:16:11 am »
We need to get a petition up... I want to see one on my Junker

Offline RistoH

• Salutes: 4
    • [─┼──]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »
Something like this?

That was, at one point, going to be a gun in this game. Turns out having guns the size of ships didn't quite work.

I seriously want this to adventure mode. I must have!

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:05:29 pm »
We need to get a petition up... I want to see one on my Junker

Instead of a lower deck the junker now has one of these mounted on its underside.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
Hurrah, conversation entirely derailed by the howitzer. Thanks guys. x3

Offline -MMBF- Shelton

• Salutes: 0
    • [MMBF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »
Just a minor thing that I noticed that's worth pointing out. Field guns are large calibre mounted guns that are used in land tactical combat, particularly during WWI and WWII. The Mercury being a field gun means that it was originally used as a massive-ass sniper rifle during land combat, apparently re-purposed to fit on our airships. Interesting thought.

Field artillery are still used in modern warfare.  Field pieces are not used as massive-ass sniper rifles, but generally  as delivery system for shrapnel.  Or, massive-ass grenade launchers.  Unlike rifles which need line of sight to put lead on target, artillery pieces use over the horizon firing to put lead on target.  They use massive-ass math.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:48:28 pm »
I always considered the "Howitzer" and other guns like this as a concept only, since they are not currently in the game. What that means for me is that I call Flak, Hwacha and others "Heavy" weapons, for there are no heavier weapons than them in the game as of now to call those Medium. You can't really say that Hwacha is a Medium gun "because Heavy weapons are ship-size village killers" if they are actually not the case in anything other than concept.

That being said, Medium, Heavy, whatever you call it, I'd love seeing more guns in the game.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:50:41 am »
Field artillery are still used in modern warfare.  Field pieces are not used as massive-ass sniper rifles, but generally  as delivery system for shrapnel.  Or, massive-ass grenade launchers.  Unlike rifles which need line of sight to put lead on target, artillery pieces use over the horizon firing to put lead on target.  They use massive-ass math.

But not all field guns are artillery pieces, take for instance the Flak 88, not only was it a very powerful AA weapon but was used as an anti-tank weapon when engaged on the gun. Most Anti-tank weapons we think of today are portable rocket/missile weaponry, however there were also large caliber weapons made specifically for engaging tanks at a distance.

Take for instance the following weapons:

Those are not artillery guns but rather anti-tank weapons, while the premise is similar (being able to lob munition at an enemy at a distance) the way both of them do it is differently. An artillery piece is made for launching munitions from a safe location, hence their ability to fire at an angle, anti-tank guns are used as direct support at the front.

Lastly:

The venerable 88 Flak, used originally for taking out aircraft at high altitudes using extremely high velocity shells, this would later be utilized to pierce armor during WWII. Making it one of the most feared weapons of the battlefield. Not only that but doesn't it look like the Howitzer from GoI? I mean seriously, look at that thing!

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
The Ultra Cannon for the galleon. This massive cannon will replace all four heavy guns in the hull for a massive fixed cannon that has to be aimed by the pilot. The cannon can instantly destroy hull armor and squids, and with two shots can destroy any airship. Why a cannon like this? So we can ram our galleons into other ships screaming "AMERICA!" and promptly blowing them away.

From the "Silly Ideas That Would Break the Game" thread.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:13 pm »
And yet... I find a gun like that difficult to not want.

Offline Tyre

• Salutes: 1
    • [Snug]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »
But not all field guns are artillery pieces, take for instance the Flak 88, not only was it a very powerful AA weapon but was used as an anti-tank weapon when engaged on the gun. Most Anti-tank weapons we think of today are portable rocket/missile weaponry, however there were also large caliber weapons made specifically for engaging tanks at a distance.

Take for instance the following weapons:

-snip-

Those are not artillery guns but rather anti-tank weapons, while the premise is similar (being able to lob munition at an enemy at a distance) the way both of them do it is differently. An artillery piece is made for launching munitions from a safe location, hence their ability to fire at an angle, anti-tank guns are used as direct support at the front.

AT guns are actually under the classification of artillery as well, just under the category of anti-tank artillery. "Artillery" is just the broad term for large caliber guns in general, with various subcategories like howitzers, mortars, anti-aircraft, etc.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »
Wasn't the Mercury's name a long time ago the "Mini Howitzer"?