Author Topic: Perils of the world-Life of a Sky sailor  (Read 48008 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Perils of the world-Life of a Sky sailor
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:17 am »
There would be one large fuel tank split into multiple cells/bladders.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 01:41:18 am »
A fuel bladder!  I just like the sound of that.

I've also been thinking about proper clothing at altitude.  Glasses of some kind seem almost a must, also staying covered from direct sunlight might be in order as well.
How do you think crew are hired onto a vessel, contracted for a period of time, from location to location, or pretty much form a company and stay with it for along as it lasts?

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:26 am »
I believe it is a time-period contract for the most of time, especially with defending crewmembers. You always need a good engineer who knows your ship, but you can cheapskate with wages when it comes to guards and the like.
Mercenary bands probably are trip-hired, but mercenary companies offer longer employment and a place to bunk and eat in-between.
Military ships are most likely unit-based with a term of service.
I think the means of employment on a ship are as varied as there is needs for a crew to man the positions. Crucial members are more rigidly tied to their ship, while less-necessary people might be hopping from ship to ship at a constant basis.

Clothing is probably varied depending on the location people fly in. Tinted goggles and well-tied hats are a must, but the warmth-factor of a clothing depends probably on the region and altitude, which should be told by the captain. :D

Edit: Also, how in the seven hells did somebody get the idea of mounting a field gun on an airship? I mean, familiarity factors aside (I'm artillery corporal) that is pretty jury-rig solution.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:14:58 am by Mill Wilkinson »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2013, 01:17:53 am »
In the SeaBees we commonly referred to it as the Hoorah or Marine solution.
They would have a vehicle, and a gun, I as a welder would be expected to put said gun on vehicle.  My only official response wold be "can do".

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 07:01:15 am »
No AC. So no arc welding.  The mindset seems appropriate to the world, though.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:48 am »
What about torch welding?

Offline Mortimer Thorne

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I thought of something on this topic and it didn't seem like a big enough question to merit a new one. Anyway, what about leisure activities? Presumably for longer flights, a given ship might have a crew that works in shifts, what might your average Sky Sailor (Skailor? Aeronaut? Dunno) do during his or her off-hours? Oh, and a question of aeronautical culture: what kind of "sea" shanties might they sing on an airship?

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 04:36:34 am »
[...]What is a typical meal onboard ship consist of?[...]
Sauerkraut and Pökelfleisch.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I thought of something on this topic and it didn't seem like a big enough question to merit a new one. Anyway, what about leisure activities? Presumably for longer flights, a given ship might have a crew that works in shifts, what might your average Sky Sailor (Skailor? Aeronaut? Dunno) do during his or her off-hours? Oh, and a question of aeronautical culture: what kind of "sea" shanties might they sing on an airship?
"What shall we do with the drunken skailor, what shall we do ...."

I like skailor.

About the perils (I didn't read the entire thread but I think this topic was kind of not regarded at all)
sky squids, poisonous gases, tribesmen with anti air cannons, rotten water/food, having no crewmember with "cleaning" skill, shortage of moonshine, a leak in the dieseltank.... there can be so many!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:41:40 am by Sprayer »

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:40 am »
The biggest danger would be getting thrown off.

You'd be at Splat Speed before anyone could get to you.