Author Topic: I am Elite  (Read 18158 times)

Offline Sanji the Chef

• Salutes: 2
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: I am Elite
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:17 am »
Heh heh. I wonder what happens wit Spud when he's drunk.  ;)

Anyways about people with low levels or low match count. I try to be polite and courteous, I really do. But if it's a whiny pre-teen my mood sours pretty quickly. Yelling "ready up" for 5 minutes straight while everyone's trying to get their ship together really kills my good intentions. Trolls are a special case, they're all irritating in different ways. Heck even the jerk that brings nothing but lochnar and extinguish, chem, buff hammer because he has no idea what he's doing and refuses to change his loadout or listen.

Still, if I find that rare low level player who's willing to listen and actively tries to learn then I think I can stop playing for the day and leave happy. In fact, I really should get around to inviting a number of people to practice since they surprised me so with their skill which did not match their level.

Sounds like a couple people in that lobby last night, ha.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:23 pm »
I'm not even going to pretend I'm anything approaching good.

But I do pride myself on being quite the good shot with the Hwacha. And other guns of similar function.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:09 am »
W

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 08:24:32 am »
We have a lot of Elite players in the game right now. They are not a lot of fun to play with but they are insanely good at this game. Make it fun for your crew guys! Don't make it feel like a second job.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
We have a lot of Elite players in the game right now. They are not a lot of fun to play with but they are insanely good at this game. Make it fun for your crew guys! Don't make it feel like a second job.
^ THIS. I cannot stress enough how accurate this is.

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »
You know, I think I'm starting to understand why so many experienced players just don't want to waste their breath explaining to new players how to play. Half the time they won't listen or won't understand what you're saying (especially if they only speak a language you don't know).

Yeah I try to explain to newies, but man am I starting to become jaded. I hope I don't end up like Marquis or Puddi.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:17 pm »
I'm also starting to become jaded.  I really really try to be helpful and supportive of new players, but it can be hard to be patient when so many people are rude and unreceptive to advice.  Shoutout to all the good powder monkeys out there who truly want to learn and put in an effort to be part of a team.  <3

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:17 am »
Usually if I'm playing pilot with a crew of novices I start with: "Okay, so shoot things when I say shoot, and repair things when they need repairing and we'll have a good time." They're usually very eager to communicate after that- in my experiences anyway. I then precede to show my artemis gunji how to get the junker's hull from the front and tell my hades gunners to aim higher than they think they should.

Then we make beautiful sky magic together.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:15 am »
I tend to be bipolar when it comes to newbies.

I won't lie - unresponsive newbies tend to bring out the worst in me and then later on I contemplate reporting myself because I'm so ashamed. Seriously I (and possibly others!) should try to vent frustration elsewhere. Sorry D=

However when I come across a responsive newbie I am genuinely thrilled and love to teach and such - if they make mistakes, so what? Especially love newbie captains that do admirably. I try not to backseat pilot - all I do is explain mechanics (like - "our galleon guns are on the broadside" and "press F to lower your speed, it will make it easier for gunners to shoot"). And once they get the controls down and the general strategy of just "get my guns on the target" many pilots do extremely well and they seem to enjoy it more too.

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:21 am »
...should try to vent frustration elsewhere.
You mean fly in a giant 4v4 with nothing but level 9+ captains and level 8+ crew? Yeah, fun times man.