Author Topic: Mirrored Ships  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Neithrantulre

• Salutes: 8
    • [KNEE]
    • View Profile
Mirrored Ships
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:03:19 pm »
Add variety to ship loadouts, and particularly team loadouts, by having a checkbox in the ship customization screen to mirror the whole ship port/starboard. Shouldn't take much development time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcLybhbChQ would be possible with galleons because you can now have a team of two with reverse mirror. You can make the strong side face toward each other and make deadly passes, or travel together with your weak sides in the center so you can always have a light gun shooting no matter where the enemy comes from.

Very interesting on Pyra, Galleon, Squid. Less so on Mobula, Spire, Goldfish(but engineering is definitely different), almost inconsequential on Junker, except moving the pile of crates.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrored Ships
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:29:01 pm »
Sounds like that could be interesting, and might be a way to cheaply add more variety.  As an engineer it would probably just do my head in though.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:38 pm »
Seeing that flamethrower shooting from the starboard side of metamidion would be exciting.

Offline RistoH

• Salutes: 4
    • [─┼──]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:43:14 pm »
Sounds kinda nice, it would definetly add more variety and more suprises if you don't check your enemies ship loadouts.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »
Take it up a notch and have backwards facing ships - or even just a mode where ships fly faster backwards than forwards.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »
I asked about this before, and the devs said it would likely mess up the ship balance.

Offline Neithrantulre

• [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »
I asked about this before, and the devs said it would likely mess up the ship balance.
That is among the dumbest things I've ever heard in any game or discussion.
Literally identical ships are more/less powerful? How?

Offline Dimometer

• Salutes: 3
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »
Two mirrored Pyras could easily cover each others blind spots when formation flying, that could be a balance issue, for example.

Offline Neithrantulre

• [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:41:12 pm »
Two mirrored Pyras could easily cover each others blind spots when formation flying, that could be a balance issue, for example.
Well, I believe I've heard many people say that Pyra is the strongest ship and Squid or Galleon are the weakest. Since this would only really affect these ships maybe you can get on with a light Pyra nerf and let this bring them all up a tiny bit.

Offline Dimometer

• Salutes: 3
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
Ok, you have just shown richard lemoons point to be correct, you are suggesting that ships need to be rebalanced to accommodate mirrored ships.

(p.s. You have written your post (above) in a manner suggests that I am a developer - I am not.)

Offline Neithrantulre

• [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »
Ok, you have just shown richard lemoons point to be correct, you are suggesting that ships need to be rebalanced to accommodate mirrored ships.

(p.s. You have written your post (above) in a manner suggests that I am a developer - I am not.)
Yes, I admit it would slightly affect balance. This can be a good thing.
I know you are not a dev, but since this is the suggestions forum, I intend all posts to be directed at the devs as well as those involved in the discussion.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:29 am »
It wouldnt be overly unbalanced but it is still an unbalancement torwards ships with no significant change when mirrored.
The only ships affected greatly are pyra and squid, while slightly is galleon. Mobula Junker Goldfish Spire get next to nothing from this.

Its not necessary and wouldnt really help the game much at all other than confusion and giving the pyra more options.

Offline Neithrantulre

• [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:21 am »
Maybe a better suggestion would be a 'Layout B' option for each ship, like FTL. Start with the ones that would be interesting with a simple mirror.

Offline RistoH

• Salutes: 4
    • [─┼──]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »
Well, I believe I've heard many people say that Pyra is the strongest ship and Squid or Galleon are the weakest. Since this would only really affect these ships maybe you can get on with a light Pyra nerf and let this bring them all up a tiny bit.

Squid is quite OP if you can use it well.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
Any ship is quite OP if you can use it well.

Fixed that up for you.