Author Topic: So about that MLG thing  (Read 50588 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: So about that MLG thing
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2015, 12:57:27 pm »
Honestly, there just isn't a large enough playerbase to justify MLG. It was a cool thing to get accepted in the first place, but sometimes both sides realize it just ain't worth it.

I'd actually like to say I disagree with this... The playerbase is there, its the people in the playerbase interested which is not.. Their are hundreds of incredible players who could cut the cookie and build a team, but the effort required to do so makes it more frustrating Tha it has to be, and that's before you take into account the needs of everyone to register to a third party as mentioned above..

Which is why I like Ryders efforts to encourage newer and smaller clans to get involved in the competitive scene, its a step towards the MLG player base growing. :)

I'm with imagine here.
and I think I can elaborate a bit to it.
Yes there are players enough to run an indepth competitive scene, but getting the same 8 people online every week for events is a bigger hassle than you can imagine.
Thats why there are so few teams competing every week, they are the  only ones willing to use their sunday night together.
It doesnt help to tell a team to sign up or give them a positive shoulder pad, i tried that countless times. A lot of the teams I tried to help when I was leader of thralls simply didnt want to be completely decimated every event by better teams. its sad but they dont have the persistance to continue playing when they taste defeat.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2015, 01:03:50 pm »
That makes a lot of sense actually, I've noticed most people will log out after a loss or not want to do things in fear of constant loss..

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »
Well the game is broken. It was dumb, really dumb. MLG was a pipedream for many of us but we realized fast it just wasn't going to be viable for a long time. The Devs are focused on COOP and expanding the game, they can't stop and focus on making the game stable for MLG. Let alone the team issues stated. MLG is possible but all this was just a brief distraction. Muse would have to dedicate at least a year of dev towards tuning the game for MLG. Honestly that is a bad move. COOP or Adventure mode will attract the larger PVE playerbase which is what Muse needs.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 11:15:39 am »
The thing though is that it's not like the game NEEDS mlg. Was a neat idea and neat to be noticed, but completely unnecessary.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 11:43:30 am »
The game is sorta built for those team-competitive plays, right?
Two, four player crews making a team of eight, twelve, or sixteen. Large focus on communication, cooperation, and coordination.

When I heard that this game was mlg, I was kinda excited. But I don't think the game's been noticed enough to fit in with other mlg games. :(

And too many people are still unused to the idea of communicative, cooperative, and coordinated games. Gaming is still sort of a solitary entertainment. I think Guns is early for our times. But given how fast internet/gaming culture evolves, maybe in few years, Guns could be a great mpg game.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »
I don't have much faith in the MLG organization, and their actions with regard to GOI have done little to increase it. I bet they google search "Competative Play" once a month and offer "deals" to the games with over a certain number of hits. Their website and logo have the implication of a professional organization, but at heart I bet they are a bunch of trust fund kids trying to show daddy that playing video games all day is a legitimate way of making a living.

If watching high level GOI matches is going to become a popular spectator activity, it will happen through the efforts of the people organizing, participating, and advertizing in the competitive scene. Since MLG has done none of that I don't see their relevance in the future of this game and this community.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:19 pm »
I don't have much faith in the MLG organization, and their actions with regard to GOI have done little to increase it. I bet they google search "Competative Play" once a month and offer "deals" to the games with over a certain number of hits. Their website and logo have the implication of a professional organization, but at heart I bet they are a bunch of trust fund kids trying to show daddy that playing video games all day is a legitimate way of making a living.

If watching high level GOI matches is going to become a popular spectator activity, it will happen through the efforts of the people organizing, participating, and advertizing in the competitive scene. Since MLG has done none of that I don't see their relevance in the future of this game and this community.

This.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »

.... uuuuuuuh what?

Getting added to MLG was something that people in GOIO community pushed for to happen, made posts on their forums, had one of their arena admins check out the game and decide it was cool and unique and they'd be cool adding it to their list.

It wasn't them coming to us or Muse, it was us going to them.

Think what you want of MLG as an organization, but let's not muddle the facts, please.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 03:24:46 pm »
MLG is third party.
Most gaming companies are unable to run a competitive scene themselves for whatever reasons, financial or inexperience mostly.

This is a common thing everywhere in gaming, the devs dont control their own competitive scene. However a lot of games reach a point where they have world championships, these are being handled mostly by third party sites aswell since they already have the sponsors.
Then you have companies like riot or valve capable of financing their own world championships, but even then League of legends teams start on ESL etc.

Goio has too many common bugs and lack a lot of key things for it to have a good competitive scene. Its only natural that MLG didnt go forward with it, they are a firm and there is no money to be gained with goio unfortunately.
Its the same with pro-streamers and youtube personalities, if there are no money to be gained streaming or playing the game for content, then they wont play it. This is why a lot of devs pay youtube personalities to play their game for publicity, even though it isnt a game that a lot of people are playing. This is how you create interest for it.

You see guys like jesse cox, total biscuit and those polaris guys all give goio high praise for its gameplay, but they dont play it themselves other than when they get paid to do it. view vs time spent and money. same goes for MLG, if there are no viewers then there are no money to be gained and the time is ill spent.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:42 pm »
You see guys like jesse cox, total biscuit and those polaris guys all give goio high praise for its gameplay, but they dont play it themselves other than when they get paid to do it. view vs time spent and money. same goes for MLG, if there are no viewers then there are no money to be gained and the time is ill spent.
That's only slightly correct. While Muse has paid them for a couple of promotional things, they first few set of videos they made were completely on their own.

You also can't compare Youtubers to MLG, Youtubers have to move from new thing to new thing to keep current and get more viewers drawing in, while MLG's main staple games have been the same for years.

Also, MLG's Arena thing costs them zero money, or at least it's as cheap as they want it to be. If we, as a community, had really rallied behind it all and started to use it exclusively we'd still be on there and probably drawing prize pools or whatnot.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
Competitive play isn't my thing. I watch some of the tournaments on you tube but my involvement stops there. So forgive my ignorance about any petitioning the community did to MLG. However I still believe that MLG isn't a worthwhile organization for our community to be attached to. As far as I can tell they copied an generic template for a tournament community slapped a GOI logo on it and called it a day. The fact that nobody used MLG's template is as much MLG's fault as it is our own.

I have stated in the past the GOI is a niche product, we don't fit in with MLG's goal of turning AAA videogame into the next nascar. At best we could hope for a small room in the back of one of their big tournaments and a blurb on their website. At worst we can expect no support and wasted time an energy on the part of anyone trying to work with those clowns.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
Competitive play isn't my thing. I watch some of the tournaments on you tube but my involvement stops there. So forgive my ignorance about any petitioning the community did to MLG. However I still believe that MLG isn't a worthwhile organization for our community to be attached to. As far as I can tell they copied an generic template for a tournament community slapped a GOI logo on it and called it a day. The fact that nobody used MLG's template is as much MLG's fault as it is our own.

I have stated in the past the GOI is a niche product, we don't fit in with MLG's goal of turning AAA videogame into the next nascar. At best we could hope for a small room in the back of one of their big tournaments and a blurb on their website. At worst we can expect no support and wasted time an energy on the part of anyone trying to work with those clowns.
I think we've all agreed that GOIO on MLG just ended up not working out for various reasons, whether it's playerbase or lack of support (and let's not kid ourselves, it's a lack of support from both sides, I certainly didn't see GOIO teams rushing to sign up to MLG either which is probably the biggest reason we were eventually dropped). I don't think any of us ever thought we'd get a huge following from this, or that we'd even ever be included in their pro circuit, most of us were just giddy that we got recognized. Yes, their Arena system was a template page that was used for GOIO as well, but so what? That's how all their other Arena games are set up as well, why would you expect them to go out of their way to make something special for us?

But let's not go all pitchfork and torches on MLG. I've had the opportunity to work at MLG events before (and just to make it perfectly clear, work AT, not FOR MLG), and from the interaction that I've had with their top brass, they were all pretty good group of folks who love esports and want to see that scene expand.

So here's the thing. As it turned out, GOIO wasn't for MLG, and MLG was for GOIO, or at least not yet (if ever). There's no reason to go nuclear on MLG, shit just didn't work out, it happens, and that's that.

Let's move on, shall we?

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 01:22:18 am »
Biggest problem with MLG and the reason GoI players haven't pushed to use their ladder system?

The gamebattles website is a poorly designed buggy unusable POS, and its full of bot accounts spam ranking. Its like something right out of the 90's.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:42 am »
Is MLG actually relevant to anything that isn't 100% a joke, or call of duty games on consoles?