Author Topic: So about that MLG thing  (Read 50565 times)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: So about that MLG thing
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »
As far as a lot of rules go they put something up to "hold the slot" before getting fully in touch with us.
I'll be sitting down with our MLG contact asap and make sure the rules reflect the ideas the community has formed over the past 2 years.
Perhaps take a representative of the H. League organization with you? Put aside they've worked out our current rule set, they're probably also the first to receive rule/organization related feedback from our competitive scene. Point is: I do believe our current League-orga-team has got a better insight on what the competitive community wants and needs than you, the developers, do.
While I echo the sentiment that some of the current competitive organizers should be able to give valuable input to what rules should be in place, I would say that that the dev team is involved enough in the scene that they have a decent idea of what's good and what's not.

It's amusing though. Much hype for MLG involvement, then sudden trepidation as to what it'll actually mean :D

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »
It's amusing though. Much hype for MLG involvement, then sudden trepidation as to what it'll actually mean :D
I was amused as well. :D

For some reason I didn't really consider it and just imagined hardcore pros showing up in droves because of reasons. Also, massive tournaments with prizes like you see for the big name games.
Realistically, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will bring new serious players into the game and be a boon to the community and competitive scene. I'm also hopeful that it will somehow mesh with and evolve the current competitive scene rather than replacing it, though mostly only for selfish reasons.

I look forward to hearing more. Change is scary, but not always bad. I think as soon as we see a bit more communication and explanation things will start to clear up for the better.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »
Yeah, I feel like a cranky old man afraid of change. However, this just feels weird. Some dude with no idea how the game works and no connection to our community is just expecting us all to go to him and do his thing? Look, I am by no means a professional gamer, tournament organizer, or whatever. However, I feel he's kind of jumped ahead of himself and is ignoring the actual community.

As I said, cranky old man afraid of change, but this whole thing just feels awkward.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 03:01:13 pm »
Yeah, I feel like a cranky old man afraid of change. However, this just feels weird. Some dude with no idea how the game works and no connection to our community is just expecting us all to go to him and do his thing? Look, I am by no means a professional gamer, tournament organizer, or whatever. However, I feel he's kind of jumped ahead of himself and is ignoring the actual community.

Ah well, for now I refuse to believe that someone whose game experience is limited to two matches insists on dictating and sticking to a rule set he made up in a couple of minutes. I rather think this Ron guy just leaped ahead to get things started. Lets see if we are able to work out a rule set which fits both, the needs of our community and the standards of the MLG community.

For me it's rather the other way around. Probably mostly because I've never heard about MLG before people stumbled into the forum, shout casting it was the next big thing that's about to happen to the GoIO community. After looking into it, I do see some potential of possibly enriching our  community here by drawing the attention of competitive players who wouldn't stumble upon GoI otherwise. Anyway I definitely don't want to see this MLG-thing to be made happen at all costs. MLG needs to fit into our existing (and I'd like to add very vital) competitive community more than the other way around.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:14:37 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »
There is not much you can say about the current rulesset.
Its generic stuff that isnt compared to the game at all. A standard ruleset usable for nearly every other game.

I really hope that Muse and MLG make this thing better and i also hope that they talk with the competetive guns of icarus scene to work things out.
I am not selfish enough to say that the HC Admins are the only ones needed to talk to. I hope they will talk with us but i also hope they will talk to the administration of the SCS and other competetive players.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 05:33:24 am »
I guess if this is what the community wants, then it is what it should have.
I don't think anyone would like to say no, if everyone else says yes to this.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 07:40:19 am »
I got around to reading this entire thread, and the links posted within it. MLG's website is so confusing getting around, so I don't know if I could find any further informations on it.

however I have some questions regarding the notion of this happening, and also some concerns.

Questions:

Why is MLG good, and do you have examples?

What is the possible scenario if goio goes full mlg? What would that mean, and how does their system work?

Are the current organizers of various events in contact with MLG?

Will mlg have any sort of leverage towards the devs?

Will mlg have any sort of leverage towards the teams participating?

What does the following rule mean: All MLG/GameBattles accounts, teams, and roster spots are property of Major League Gaming Inc.
Furthermore I’m guessing this require every team member to sign up on their website?

Will there be monetary prizes involved?

Concerns:

MLG official has absolutely no clue what the game is about. why do I say this? the twitter link they ask for 1v1.

Casters and organizers have worked a lot together on streaming the events so far. MLG doesn’t seem to require the scrimmages to be streamed. Possibly also removes the referee position. Knowing that there are no ingame pause function I can only imagine how this will go down.

The lag test seem in some way irrelevant.

It seems like the games are being managed by MLG, but there is no information on when these games are meant to be played druing the week etc.

Rule: It is the responsibility of both teams to verify the eligibility of all players playing in the match prior to starting or continuing any match play. A team playing with an ineligible player will forfeit the map the ineligible player participated in. – is basicly what we have worked on getting around in this way: all teams require 8 players, sometimes things happen and a player needs to drop. Not being able to pull in a sub and having to forfeit is not really that awesome.

What I love about this community is that when I need subs playing rydr forexample I can just ask rydr to lend me some of their players, even if it was a competitive match vs rydr. - this ability would completely dissappear.

I would love to have my questions answered, the concerns are just basic concerns, maybe im confused or maybe this didnt work before hand.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:53 am »
I believe we've all made our jokes about MLG, time we discussed this in it's entirety. First off I will say I wasn't an advocate of MLG but neither was I against it, for now it seems we'll have to see where this goes.

Concerns:

1. Something I always liked about the GoIO competitive scene was the more open ended and expansive events we put on, while some may have been a hit and miss, Aerodrome, Winterfest, Battle of the Birthdays, and more importantly Baptism by Spire were in fact well put together and a lot of fun to participate in. How would this affect community run events, or rather, will they be affected?

2. Skrim brought up the issue of subs which I will also echo, not all clans or teams for that matter can be guaranteed that all members can be accounted for to actually appear in the match, such as a sudden issue that needs to be dealt with, internet that will not comply under any circumstances, etc. How will this be dealt with?

3. "The host may not force launch the game" This is unnecessary, considering a match can only start once a majority of the captains have readied up. (Less of a concern, more of gripe)

4. Mostly I just want to know how will this affect the game as a whole, obviously depending on how this pans out it could either be negative or positive. What kind of things should we come to expect to happen, how do we deal with "MLG pr0 360 n0 sc0p3" like players during the actual competitive match? (Bit of a joke but it still stands)

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
I have to agree with Skrim and Pieman their is a lot of work to do before any form of actual play can be done. I really hope someone is going to fix some great sets of rules, but until I have seen them I don't trust them to exists (yes I'm most likely paranoid thanks for asking;P)

And I'm also gonna voice concerns about cash prices and subs vs regular team members. Up until now all tournaments have been about the honor and maybe a new fancy hat at best. During this time taking in a random sub or moving ppl around on the teams have been fairly easy, sure you couldn't play this week but we will only be gone an hour and then we can all play with our friends again. But with a cash prize this might change all of a sudden the clan mates selected can get (even is small) an actual reward that wont be given to everyone. It might mess up the friendly and still slightly casual atmosphere that our tournaments have had up until now. Just something I think we should all bear in mind when talking about this... Things might get bigger, cooler and better but are we willing to pay the prize if we become to competitive and all that can bring in hostilities and disputes (like did that lag give you a win or not..?)?

PS I don't really think this will be a problem and I like this well upgrade in general. I just want to make sure that we all think about where we might be going if things go the worst possible way;)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:49 pm »
Lets not rush things.
Lets hope for the best and if it doesnt work out ... so what.
We still got the current competetive scene. Till we see actual results from this MLG thingy just continue ...
There are 3-4 weeks of hephaestus still coming. Lets see how things turn out when we are done with that part.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »
any progress?

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 09:04:41 am »
Can someone make a TL;DR for the entire thread? Ramjam? ...

I'm looking at the MLG guns of icarus rankings and see 10 nicks I never read or stuck to my mind.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:16 am »
Sprayer, it's people from the MLG directly rather then GoI community. The GoI community need to start challaging each other, to get onto the ladder and actually make it effective.

I suggest actually challenging teams whenever you want to do a scrim for one match. It's worth it and it'll show MLG that we do want to use it. So please!

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 03:12:44 am »
If you look at the unranked teams you will see several from the established teams.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 07:21:50 am »
I strongly doubt that this will take off if the teams themselves have to challenge eachother etc.

I talked about this sometime ago when we discussed why the competitive scene had to continue even though there was a lot of gamebreaking bugs.

Us players in the teams are completely unable to just play on odd times instead of tight schedule.
What works for the teams in this game is weekly practice vs 1-2 teams for around 2 hours time.

my own team plays on wednesdays and sundays, we can push in another day, but we are already pushing our players too much.

It is going to be so so impossible to challenge other teams to get this off.
Why?

Because all goio teams must consist of minimum 8 players, and if a team cannot find 8 players they cannot play.
MLG page makes it impossible to get last second substitutes, as a lot of subs in this game are part of other teams, and moving them from team to team is just too big of a hazzle.

I want to go back to the 8 players situation.
In a lot of other games you will see 1-5 players participating on the same team, but in goio its minimum of 8. That means that 8 players have to be very dedicated and put as much effort into the game as they can. And tbh how many teams do we have that are capable of this currently? maybe 3.

Tight organizational schedule works. WHen the teams know that on a specific day something is happening and they can participate. This makes it easier for the 8 players to schedule their own calendars and find the time for it with: 1. work and studies, 2. family and friends.

Currently we are looking at the next events being 3v3. Tbh I think that these 3v3 events couldn't have come at a worse time if it is MLG this comunity wants. Maybe 4 clans will be able to produce a pure 3v3 team, and mind you that this is 12 players per team now, even worse problems than with 8 players.

The rest of the teams that are mostly based around 2v2 will not be able to participate in 3v3 if it is run through MLG.
creating a team on MLG site is according to a lot of our clanleaders very confusing, and even joining it is also confusin, I can only imagine how insane it is oging to be to make mixed 3v3 teams.

So now my question is:
What is required for this to work?
And will it work with 8 player teams?