Author Topic: So about that MLG thing  (Read 50564 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: So about that MLG thing
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 02:46:15 am »
This is the first time I've heard about MLG (Forgive me, I'm not too much into competitive gaming, GoIO put aside).
Can someone please briefly elaborate how this might affect GoIs Competitive Scene?

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:33 am »
There may be a large influx of more serious players and the forming new competitive clans, and in the future you may be able to enter tournaments with monetary prizes. Further than that, you might end up on Korean television. =P

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:41 am »
It won't take off that fast. Part of the problem being its just not stable enough yet, nor is it speed based. Competitions are big on speed play. That is what always gets emphasized because it sells. Specially in this ADHD generation.

GOIO is completely limited to strength of the team and the airships themselves. Players may come in to check it out but they'll likely move on once they realize they can't rely on their own abilities. Ships just move too slow. Teams can do extremely well one moment, then poorly the next. Things then get too random. You can't easily shift gears and change style to compensate because you need all 4 people to do it at the same time and if the ship can't handle it, you're dead. Then throw disconnects, lag, and crashes into the mix...yeah.

1.1 GOIO would have had a better shot. The faster ship movement and piloting emphasis would have helped alleviate some of the problems. Individuals could shine more and games would become more brawly instead of disably.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
I guess this means we need some montages highlighting all the 360 no-scopes and matrix hydrogen dodges, complete with dubstep and lens flares!

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:33 am »
So what will we do with that MLG-ladder thingy now? announce our scrims/tournaments there? will upcoming SCSs or the Heph Silver/Gold playoffs be integrated there as MLG Tournaments?

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:33 am »
I am also a bit of a noob on the MLG system, although I have always played games like an MLG Pro :D.  I think we need some information on how we can get clans signed up for this, and how existing GoIO clans/teams can participate to appear in MLG rankings.

tl;dr What does this mean for us, the meager MLG Pros?

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47:04 am »
I am also a bit of a noob on the MLG system, although I have always played games like an MLG Pro :D.  I think we need some information on how we can get clans signed up for this, and how existing GoIO clans/teams can participate to appear in MLG rankings.

Thanks for at least adding a TL;DR section at the end of your wall of text.
you can create a team here: http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc/guns-of-icarus/teams/
Apparently it's possible to challange other clans once you've created your own team. I've got no idea how the results are filed in though.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 08:53:24 am »
http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc/guns-of-icarus/ladder/2-ships-vs-2-ships/rules

I strongly recommend you read the rules for the ladder... fairly generic stuff, but good to know... I'm assuming that when a challenge is thrown, you then have options to report/dispute a match

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:27:23 am »

Thanks for at least adding a TL;DR section at the end of your wall of text.
you can create a team here: http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc/guns-of-icarus/teams/
Apparently it's possible to challange other clans once you've created your own team. I've got no idea how the results are filed in though.

lol, thx Wundsalz.  I know 2 sentences are too much for me.  I try to be a one sentence poster at most xD.  Sorry, I have a very short attention span.

tl;dr Wundsalz pwn'd me for not writing enough text for a "too long; didn't read" section xD

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:47 am »
Am I the only one who thinks their website is comparable to trash or a minor illness?

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:38:37 am »
1. When sending and accepting challenges, you MUST select the players who will actually be playing in the match. You will be prompted to do this before sending and accepting any challenges. The number of players you must select is determined by both the match size and the ladder. Therefore, if the match is a 2v2, you will need to select two (2) people. On Team ladders, however, you will have the ability to select up to one (1) additional player. This player may serve as a substitute during the match.

2. The only players eligible to play in the match are the players who are selected when the challenge was sent/accepted. Once a match is confirmed, the eligible players from both Teams will be displayed on the Match page. Players who enter the room, but whom were not selected to play beforehand, will be considered ineligible players.

3. If you need to cancel an already accepted match, you must first select the match you wish to cancel and hit the "Request Cancellation" button. Fill out the required field to notify your opponent that you wish to cancel, and then submit the request. Your opponent will then either accept or decline the request. If the cancellation request is not accepted by your opponent, you will be required to play the match. Your opponent will have 72 hours to respond to this request. If the request is not accepted or declined within 72 hours, the match will be automatically cancelled.
Ewwwww!
This is miles away from our communities practically lived standard (schedule stuff as teams and determine the roster last minute). Rule 3 might be used to circumnavigate this isse (schedule matches to find opponents, then cancel and reschedule it with the proper roster just before the match starts). Still an ugly rule set :-S.
I also wonder if this applies to tournaments as well. Playing with one substitute player only for an entire tournament is probably next to impossible for most teams... hell most of us don't even know who might possibly jump in when and substitutes are often not even an official part of the team they are playing for.

Am I the only one who thinks their website is comparable to trash or a minor illness?

No, I'm with you. It took me minutes to find my team again after creating it...

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:49 am »
More rules.
General
[...]
2. All MLG/GameBattles accounts, teams, and roster spots are property of Major League Gaming Inc.
[...]
6. Our goal here at GameBattles is to provide gamers with a place to find fair and competitive matches.
2 - I'm not a lawyer, but what?

6 - I guess I never knew what MLG actually is. Is this site a partner with MLG, owned by MLG, owner of MLG, or what? Is MLG intended to create a space for competitive matches, or is it to create a sport and sell it to viewers?
Looking at it now it almost looks like asking a third party to come review the game and create a competitive environment for the game and players. Which is awesome, but at the same time, the community has been working for nearly 2 years refining rules and formats and still hasn't ironed out all the peculiar kinks relevant to just this game. The few proposed rules kind of take what we have worked out, and tosses it out for a generic format. I guess I'm kind of wondering what the driving force and end product is here. Are we looking mostly at a format similar to the previous Official Season 2, where you scrim for points and top teams get invited to tournaments?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 10:10:21 am »
2 is basically, you can't sell or trade your accounts or roster spots with other people, because you don't own them. It's like saying you can't sell your steam account or your guns of icarus account.

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:10 am »
As far as a lot of rules go they put something up to "hold the slot" before getting fully in touch with us.
I'll be sitting down with our MLG contact asap and make sure the rules reflect the ideas the community has formed over the past 2 years.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:17 am »
As far as a lot of rules go they put something up to "hold the slot" before getting fully in touch with us.
I'll be sitting down with our MLG contact asap and make sure the rules reflect the ideas the community has formed over the past 2 years.
Perhaps take a representative of the H. League organization with you? Put aside they've worked out our current rule set, they're probably also the first to receive rule/organization related feedback from our competitive scene. Point is: I do believe our current League-orga-team has got a better insight on what the competitive community wants and needs than you, the developers, do.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:36:50 am by Wundsalz »