Author Topic: Sending messages to offline people  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Sending messages to offline people
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:04 pm »
Why aren't we able to do it? I would love to have such option, especially to do clan related stuff, like "I did X and therefore want you to do Y when you're online".

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Sending messages to offline people
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »
We can't be everyone's favorite chat program AND email program now can we?

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »
you can send messages to offline people through steam.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »
GOIO forums for that. Course if the person you are trying to reach is one of those...spend all day on facebook, which is a giant forum, but violently opposing logging into these forums. Then you're on your own.

Then there is also the type which don't respond to anything no matter what chat program you use yet show up as logged in. Then suddenly months later they go "ZOMG!" as they realize they have a ton of backlog messages. This is literally Qwerty right now...sigh.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:22 pm »
your messages clear when you go offline - that'd have to change, first.
do want.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »
At the very least, a way to leave messages for clan members would be nice.

But a decent offline message service would actually be really useful. Some of us new people haven't added all our in-game friends on Steam just yet. And many of us have trouble getting people in our clan to share such "private" information for various reasons.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:46 pm »
As nice as this would be for some people, I suspect this feature would be used mostly to send hate mail to people who quit 1/2 through a match.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 08:08:30 pm »
Yeah, the chat system really isn't designed to handle these. Adding a system for it would be cool, but it's not super likely. Adding some persistence to clan chat might be possible, because currently it's underutilized and might see some love. While there's a pretty good chance it won't happen, it's definitely a good idea.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »
Maybe just another message tab in clan just for giving information to members, like "Private" but another AND with a notification to all the clan members every time it changes. It is some compromise I guess?

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:54:54 am »
Maybe just another message tab in clan just for giving information to members, like "Private" but another AND with a notification to all the clan members every time it changes. It is some compromise I guess?

I think the best way is to make a steam group and invite all your members to it, also teamspeak/raidcall/mumble works wonders also,

or even the forums right here make sure all the members have an account and make a thread informing them when practice is,

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:53 am »

I think the best way is to make a steam group and invite all your members to it, also teamspeak/raidcall/mumble works wonders also,

or even the forums right here make sure all the members have an account and make a thread informing them when practice is,

That's a much better idea when dealing with people who actually give each other their Steam IDs, which not everyone does, and when you're dealing with people who actually use these forums, which, again, a lot of people don't.

Having in-game functions to support organisation within the clan would be great.

I understand it might not happen, but it's something that would really help, particularly for new players forming clans.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:23 am »
Could you  use the clan page on the community setup to put important announcements in description or quote section and inform members to check? as a temp solution?

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »
Could you  use the clan page on the community setup to put important announcements in description or quote section and inform members to check? as a temp solution?

You could...

...if there was a way for members to acknowledge having read it, or add their own comments. But as a relatively new member of the clan I'm a part of, there's no way for me to leave a message that the clan leader (or anyone else) will see. If my clan leader asks for "everyone" to try and recruit people, and we find someone really fun and skilled but Dear Leader's not online, there's no way to leave a message so that next time he's in-game he sees "oh, obliviondoll asked me to invite Davy Jones" when he checks the clan page. (note: names may be made up to protect the innocent... and not-so-innocent)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:25:41 am »
It might be easier to integrate forum PMs into the main client- simply add a clickable indicator of unread PMs to the social screen, which when clicked opens the webpage. That way you wouldn't have to make changes to existing chat.