Author Topic: Countering Blender Goldfish  (Read 17049 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Countering Blender Goldfish
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:34:03 am »
Drogue Chute (I think that's how you spell it?) helps quite a lot, minimizes the speed at which you fall.

Pyramidions are also a pretty good choice to take against them as quite often the carro hits will also hit the hull covering the balloon, forcing 3-4 shots from the carro to be shot before the balloon is taken down; given how long the reload time is you can often kill a fish during that time.

Keeping yourself at long range is often an option as well, artemis/hades/light flak is good. Sticking a merc somewhere can also solve your problems, provided you hit the right component with it.

Heavy Carronades also do poorly in vertical arcs, so being above the level of a blenderfish will do wonders.

That having been said, yeah, on Paritan Blenderfish are ruthless. They're also pretty good on Duel at Dawn, ok on Canyons depending on where the fight takes place, but don't really do as well on Fjords or Dunes.

I am confused by your point about he Heavy Carronades poor vertical arc? They have a very poor down arc but can aim up extremely well. You can avoid it by going underneath the Goldfish, but then you are closer to the ground. If I am missing something please explain.

PS: Glad to see the Fish is finally getting some love.

I think you would say, it has "better" arcs upward than downward not "extremely good upward arc". Don't forget the primary target of the carronade is the balloon which will be blocked by the hull of any ship you are lower than bar - mobula.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:26:00 am »
Drogue Chute (I think that's how you spell it?) helps quite a lot, minimizes the speed at which you fall.

Pyramidions are also a pretty good choice to take against them as quite often the carro hits will also hit the hull covering the balloon, forcing 3-4 shots from the carro to be shot before the balloon is taken down; given how long the reload time is you can often kill a fish during that time.

Keeping yourself at long range is often an option as well, artemis/hades/light flak is good. Sticking a merc somewhere can also solve your problems, provided you hit the right component with it.

Heavy Carronades also do poorly in vertical arcs, so being above the level of a blenderfish will do wonders.

That having been said, yeah, on Paritan Blenderfish are ruthless. They're also pretty good on Duel at Dawn, ok on Canyons depending on where the fight takes place, but don't really do as well on Fjords or Dunes.

I am confused by your point about he Heavy Carronades poor vertical arc? They have a very poor down arc but can aim up extremely well. You can avoid it by going underneath the Goldfish, but then you are closer to the ground. If I am missing something please explain.
I think that ended up being two thoughts in one, being above a carro's arc means you can get their shots to hit your hull instead of balloon, minimizing damage taken.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 06:43:01 am »
I think that ended up being two thoughts in one, being above a carro's arc means you can get their shots to hit your hull instead of balloon, minimizing damage taken.

Minimizing damage taken to the balloon, if they are face hugging you, they might as well start shooting for your hull at that point. It should be noted that giving them your balloon ain't a bad choice sometimes, be careful what you let a Heavy carronade shoot at, before you regret that armor loss and inevitable death by their ally's explosives.

Hi there!

In my games today we encountered a heavy carronade goldfish with a really good pilot and gunner. Obviously resulting in permanently dead balloons and everything.

It got quite frustrating so we tried different tactics to try and counter it. Last attempt was artemis junker , but i think being on paritian meant that it didnt really work out.

Im wondering if there are any good tips or strategies i should know that help me counter those incredibly annoying ship setups? It doesnt suffer from lacking damage on the small carronades, can literally oneshot your baloon and does enough damage to even get dangerous on the hull.

You counter a Blenderfish the same way you counter any Heavy weapon bearing ship, disable its gun and you turn the whole ship into dead weight. Using Artemis was a good idea on your part since it's easier to use than a Mercury and disables pretty reliably, but the Junker is carronade bait, I'd avoid it unless you and your crew are pretty experienced.

You can also counter with a small carronade Pyramidion, since your gun is a much smaller target, the light carronade will make quick work of their larger gun and then procceed to maul their balloon. The Pyra's balloon cage will protect your balloon from the front as well, for the most part. Make sure you carry Drogue Chute as well, they buffed that thing so much after the carronade nerf it's a sin not to have it on your ship if the enemies have a ship that focuses entirely on carronades.

As a tip, if you are shooting at the Blenderfish and they start blending you, pop Drogue in and tell your crew to keep shooting at it till its dead first, forget about repairs, if you take people off of guns to repair, you already lost the fight, you can't out-repair the carronade's damage output, focus on keeping gun arcs on the ship and shoot at it till it explodes, repair afterwards.

If you let a Blenderfish close in within effective range without trouble expect to get demolished, I mean, it's a shotgun, that's what it does, not much else can be said, your ally should also help if you get ambushed/closed on, communicate with your ally if you hope to counter blenders effectively.