Author Topic: Slightly odd question - trying to stay airborne...  (Read 6527 times)

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
Slightly odd question - trying to stay airborne...
« on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:50 am »
So today, I had my first experience trying to actually pilot my own ship. It's a Junker, and I'm quite proud of its performance, failtastic though it was.

I did notice a slight problem though, and I can think of two possible explanations, but I simply don't know.

So, the problem: In combat with enemy ships, my own seemed to have a tendency to think the ground looks nice this time of year, and it might be nice to take a closer look.

The possible explanations I can think of are:

1. Both enemy ships were heavy on flamethrowers, and in combat, my balloon spent more time on fire than operational. It was rarely actually taken out of action, thanks to my very friendly Engineers. Do you lose lift from the balloon being on fire? Even without it being destroyed?

2. One time my ship died, I noticed the enemy was directly above where my ship exploded. It is possible/plausible/likely that they flew above and dropped down on top of my ship? I'm guessing the added weight of a second airship pushing down on top of my balloon would probably be unhealthy for my ability to stay airborne...

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure of the reasons, so hopefully this will help me to avoid such flight failures in future... hopefully.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly odd question - trying to stay airborne...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12:51 am »
Damage on the balloon wont let you sink. You will have a harder time rising and sinking when wanted due to the damage as it will be much slower.
But you wont automatically sink. That only happens once the balloon is down.
The second part however works like that.
An enemy above you pushs you to the ground and also kills your balloon due to impact. This leads to you crashing in the ground several times and its hard to get out of this once the enemy has you pinned on the ground.

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:03:28 am »
Thanks for the confirmation! Much appreciated.

I knew regular damage wouldn't cause my Junker to fall out of the sky like that, the only uncertainty I had was for fire specifically. Judging from your reply, that seems not to be the case, so it must have been the ramming from above. I'm really loving how friendly and helpful players in this game have been so far. It's always nice to see a good community like this one.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:49 am »
Muse recently added different sounds for ship on ship and ship on ground impacts. Ship to ship sounds like shearing metal where as ship to ground sounds like rubbing gravel. If you are hearing both at the same time chances are another ship is trying to grind you into the ground. This maneuver is commonly called the "Goomba Stomp."

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
Yes theres no difference in fire or other damage. Only thing that matters is dead or alive for the balloon.
Atleast for the staying on automatic sink.

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 03:53:42 pm »
Muse recently added different sounds for ship on ship and ship on ground impacts. Ship to ship sounds like shearing metal where as ship to ground sounds like rubbing gravel. If you are hearing both at the same time chances are another ship is trying to grind you into the ground. This maneuver is commonly called the "Goomba Stomp."
I'll keep that in mind, and listen for the differences next time I'm in test mode and can deliberately slaughter myself without upsetting any friendlies :)

Thanks again, everyone!

Offline BADFOOT

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »
You may also be trying to press S to back up I know its hard for me to break my FPS movement habits.

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:52:47 pm »
You may also be trying to press S to back up I know its hard for me to break my FPS movement habits.
I'm 100% certain I hadn't been in this instance, but I HAVE done that before too. I've also done it again since making this thread. I'll learn eventually.

It helps that I've actually been primarily a console gamer for a while, and only recently upgraded to a laptop that's suitable for gaming (I know a desktop would be better, but that also wouldn't really fit in my apartment).