Author Topic: Recoil & Sudden Death  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Maenorg

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Recoil & Sudden Death
« on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »
Hi there!

What I'm about to suggest is more of a gimmick that gives the game a bit more feeling: Recoil.
Not only shooting the weapons affecting the weapons, but more that if a Galleon shoots a whole broadside of z.b. Manticores it shakes and gets pushed to the side a little and swings for a while.
I know that this would be a hell of work to do, implement this swinging, giving extra load to the server and so on, but this "swinging" would give more to the game in more ways.
It could also be implemented for being in a storm, or the pushing-effect of the weapons could be used as an extra navigation-tool for advanced crews (like using the side weapon on a squid to make it move sidewards.
It would add a bit more realism.

My next suggestion is some kind of "Sudden Death" Mode, where the ship wins that stands last.
All vs all and once you're down - you're down!

In the end I just want to say: thank you for this awesome game! Keep on, and I hope you'll do a good job with Online Adventure Mode as well.
I'm looking forward to see more from you guys!

Maenorg

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Recoil & Sudden Death
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:19:47 pm »
Recoil is kind of a tacky thing with the Unity engine; because at best it remains a simulation of such.  The current recoil is a simulation where jitter/spread or lift is increased on successive shots and it still feels rather unnatural because it's nigh impossible to really simulate recoil as well

If Guns of Icarus was using the infamous Source Engine it could've benefit a lot from it's physics (even centrifugal force for more realistic harpooning!)  but as is they only have Unity to work with;- which has it's pros in other areas

Adding ship recoil from firing heavy guns at best would be a tacky simulation as well and I think that might irritate a lot of people because nothing is as frustrating to experience unpredictable potentially duel-losing spasms a ship is making

I don't nearly have enough experience on this issue as some people so I'm wondering what they have to say;- but I don't think I'm too far off in claiming it's probably not possible to create this form of recoil without it feeling a little too unnatural;- hurting the process of trying to aim with weapons succesively

Offline Maenorg

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:34 pm »
Ok, I imagined that it would be kind of impossible, and I forgot about the problems a captain would have since I'm playing Engineer-only..
I just thought that it could be a nice implementation, but under these circumstances it sounds like a bad idea.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:01:46 pm »
I like the idea of a free-for-all. Recoil, however, would just increase the length of matches because each shot would require the ship to set itself up for the next shot.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »
Ok, I imagined that it would be kind of impossible, and I forgot about the problems a captain would have since I'm playing Engineer-only..
I just thought that it could be a nice implementation, but under these circumstances it sounds like a bad idea.

What matters is that you're coming up with ideas. Regardless of whether they can be implemented or not, it's a great way to approach the game :)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »
Yeah, Muse themselves are still stumped with how to approach recoil.  They want to introduce a better version than the current jitter according to one of awkm's posts.

One thing to remember is that these guns are heavy and bolted to a hugeass ship.  They've got enough mass to have some inertia of their own, it's not like firing a pistol.