Author Topic: dual at dawn map restrictions  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
dual at dawn map restrictions
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:18 am »
at dual at dawn in the top part of the map there is a particular pillar that people sometimes can fly around at the edge of the maplimit. most of the time people get stuck because of this.
Will the map size increase a bit to solve this problem or decrease and prevent players for getting around it?

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: dual at dawn map restrictions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:45:08 am »
Not sure this is fits in Feedback and Suggestions tbh. But yes, problems like this really should be looked in to.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:07:17 am »
Not sure this is fits in Feedback and Suggestions tbh. But yes, problems like this really should be looked in to.
I actually thought of the same thing. I probably should have posted it somewhere in game issues os something like that.
But it's also feedback.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:56:41 am »
I kinda think it's cool that there are map features that are available but inherently risky?
Personally the only times I've ever gotten stuck was when i changed my mind halfway through and lost engines before I could get enough momentum going either direction.
I would actually like to see more passes like this where taking a risk lets you circumvent a long route. There are several on Canyon Ambush, one or two on Labyrinth, one on Fjords that I have yet to use, and that spot on Duel.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »
I kinda think it's cool that there are map features that are available but inherently risky?
Personally the only times I've ever gotten stuck was when i changed my mind halfway through and lost engines before I could get enough momentum going either direction.
I would actually like to see more passes like this where taking a risk lets you circumvent a long route. There are several on Canyon Ambush, one or two on Labyrinth, one on Fjords that I have yet to use, and that spot on Duel.

Nah map borders are a silly way to establish "risky passages". Those should be designed like the gaps in the mountain on canyons blue side.
I'd like to see the Duel map boarders widened a bit (about additonal 50m to the north, west and south)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:40:50 pm »
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,91.0.html

I know this thread's been discussed before a long time ago. I forget where it led though.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:46:55 pm »
As long as these exist, nobody will actually expect you coming through there, but rather through a less risky passage that is nearby, thus giving you quite a surprise effect in engagements.

Personally, when I started flying in this game, I paid the map barely any head until I started to try to fly around this pillar-thingy. Thaught me how to use a map. So it could be good for teachings stuff too, you get punished for not knowing, but be rewared by learning (the reward is that you don't die on that pillar and if you wanna fly around there you might actually do it correctly).

If you wanna change map restrictions I would suggest changing map height ceiling on certain maps:
On Paritan there are a few of these skyscrapers that have a sort of "tent" in them, on top of them and are open on top too, (screenshot if requested) through which a ship can fly through, but that only works so well, because you get pushed down if you stay there too long. Could be a nice sneak attack setup from above, I mean who expects a squid sitting inside of a building? (As far as inside goes.)

On scrap/dunes you have that juggernaut (it's called "Juggernaut" in the scrap map description for those who didn't know), but you can only enter it from 1 point. There actually is another point on the other side, but you kinda have to go full vertical speed and hydrogen to get past the height ceiling as much as possible in order to go through there. (Every ship but a Spire can do that.)
It would allow for mor dynamic engagements while the team inside the point literally thinks "They are gonna attack right after the next sandstorm", which is true for 90% of coordinated matches on scrap.
The same goes for dunes, for nobody would expect a ship to come through up there and surprise attack certain long range ships.

When it comes to North, South, East and West, I currently like those and yeah, there are less risky paths you can choose from that are pretty close, but it's just that extra surprise that make them worthwhile, maybe on some maps more than others. In my opinion at least.