Author Topic: An 'original' guns of icarus?  (Read 12204 times)

Offline All Systems Go

• Salutes: 1
    • [ASG]
    • View Profile
An 'original' guns of icarus?
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:34:56 am »
Can't help but notice that steam also has a game called "Guns of Icarus" without the 'online' bit (although it does claim multiplayer and coop). On sale no less.

My question, then, is.... what is it? Some early iteration of Adventure Mode?

Any particular good  or bad points about it?

Offline Tron

• Salutes: 2
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
    • SideStrike Gaming
Re: An 'original' guns of icarus?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:03 am »
Its essentially the prequel to Guns Online. It follows the journey of Gabriel, aboard his ship Icarus, and you must defend it, and its cargo, using various guns in which can be upgraded for any cargo that you managed to defend. Hence the name Guns of Icarus.

Now, within the Guns Online story, it is completely unknown as to why Gabriel takes the journey that you will find he takes if you play the original

I highly recommend it. Quite addictive. It is a kind of adventure mode, as you travel to towns and as you do, get better guns (assuming you survive)

Also, buying this game yeilds the "Fallen Hero" Cap which was worn by Gabriel (i think)

It has coop multiplayer yes. Basically instead of just Gabriel running around shooting and repairing, you can have some others join you aswell, making the journey easier of sorts

Good Buy. Great Game. Keep in mind its not nearly as fancy, but it gives you an insight into the towns, and the man himself.

Buy the Game, Fly the Name. Guns of Icarus

it does have some drawbacks, being that it was before all the fancy graphics and stuff. There is no way to steer (which makes sense though) and you are defending the whole ship by yourself. But all in all, if you are a fan of Guns Online, this will give you the insight you might need into the world of GoI

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »
The original Guns of Icarus, is a fantastic game. It satisfies a different itch than Gun of Icarus Online.  It has a WW2 B52 gunner vibe about it. Swarms of airplanes are attacking you flying fortress and you have to fend them off by running to different gun positions. It also has a simplified repair system that puts greater emphasis on time management and prioritization (IMO).

It has a few rough edges (pun intended for art style), but you can see the Muse team was experimenting with this new game style. The game came out at the moment Steam released its mac compatible version. It was one Steam mac launch titles, and got more business because of that than if it had released earlier or later. Unfortunately interest for the game dried up pretty quickly due to the limited number of missions and some what repetitive game play. After the first three months it was almost impossible to find a multi player game and single player is not that interesting once you have mastered all the weapons.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »
I honestly don't know why they don't just bundle it with the multiplayer game as a bonus to con people into paying a little more for the "complete pack."  I can't imagine it getting that many sales nowadays, excepting people who confuse it for Guns of Icarus Online.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:45:47 pm »
You can play the original with a Unity Browser plugin at:
http://musegames.com/games/guns-of-icarus
The pay for steam version gives you access to more single player missions, but the browser and steam ones are compatible for multi player. I had a great lan party a few years ago by referring my friends to the browser based game.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
I have seen it as a Browser Only game too.. I can't remember where.

Hamster beat me to it lol