Author Topic: My 60 Second Review of Guns of Icarus  (Read 6751 times)

Offline WaddlesJr

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
My 60 Second Review of Guns of Icarus
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »
I absolutely love this game.  When my friend told me about it, I thought it sounded awesome, and it is just as good if not better than I was expecting!  Tons of fun!

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCKpKYk69o4

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: My 60 Second Review of Guns of Icarus
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:36 pm »
As far as the learning curve goes, I can't say that it's incredibly difficult to learn the basics of the game. It's comparable to other teamwork based semi-strategy including games, that I'd dare to put all kinds of MOBAs here - it's easy to understand the basics, but there are some things you can learn along the way as you play, and you end up with certain gameplay aspects that one can master. Such things, like stripping the armor from the enemy ship before finishing them off with a mortar, or rebuilding red component with a spanner instead of a mallet, are not really much more difficult to understand than AP or AD ratio on your skills in LoL or Smite. One does need to put some effort to learn the game mechanics, though, and that's in GoIO as well as many other games, but I can't really say you need to put any more effort in this game compared to the others.

When it comes to matchmaking, ending up with lvl 10+ people may be frustrating, but there's a reason why there are 1 to 3 lvl novice lobbies in this game. I suggest joining open lobbies only after you lvl up all 3 classes to level 3, and then keep playing novice matches until you level up to level 4 with one class, so you can stay in novice matches as long as possible, and get as much experience in the newbie lobby as one can get, so you'll have a good headstart before stepping into actual, normal games.

Overall really nice review, I just can't help but wonder if your opinion about the game being too difficult doesn't actually come from not playing tutorials and not joining novice matches, for it is kinda obvious that a fresh newbie won't have alot of fun if he decides to join a game against a veteran with thousands of matches played, especially if he is yet to learn the game's basics, but neither was it intended for anyone to do something like this if they don't want to.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:10:34 am »
rebuilding hull with a mallet. :(

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:11:20 am »
I can imagine game being hard when you try to rebuild armor with mallet ;P But nice review.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:55 am »
I thought I was going to be original when mentioning the mallet </3

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:31 am »
I agree though, lack of matchmaking is making it hard for new players to find themselves on a confident level of play.
back in my days (old dog) we got our ass handed to us constantly by the beta players. If not for the clan I joined and the people I met I wouldn't have continued playing probaly.

the difficulty level. MEH, just keep trying, difficult games are fun compared to easy games :p After all this isn't tribes ascend kind of hardcore difficulty.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »
<Sigh> I don't know why so many people try to rebuild with the mallet when they first start playing. Was i the only one that read to tool tip on the tools and saw that spanner was better at rebuilding and mallet was better at repairing. I didn't even know exactly what that meant but then something broke on the ship and i hit it with the mallet and saw the bar move like a sliver, then i hit it with the spanner and it jumped up a whole lot more and I was like "OH.... that's what it meant" That was still in my very first match I figured that out.

sorry to talk down to people but I've had to explain this to level 3 engineers before and i have no idea how they managed to play enough games to get to that level without figuring out their tool set, let along not get frustrated at the game for taking forever and a half to rebuild anything.