Author Topic: Hephaestus Challenge Tipping Thread  (Read 107311 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Hephaestus Challenge Tipping Thread
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:07 am »
Similar to previous high level events, you may post Tipping here for the Hephaestus Challenge.

For each match every week, predict the winner and the score. One point will be awarded for correctly guessing the winner of a match (regardless of who the loser is), plus 0.1 points for the correct score (if both winner and loser are correct).

The participant with the most points at the end of the season will be awarded a costume of their choice from the store.

Tipping runs on a week-by-week basis.

May 31, 2014:
Hammer:
-Match 1:
Mad Hatters
vs
Museosaurs
on
Battle on the Dunes
-Match 2:
Rydr
vs
DeadPool's Army
on
Paritan Rumble
-Match 3:
The Clamour
vs
Glowwater Thralls
on
Northern Fjords
Anvil:
-Match 4:
Cake
vs
The Art of Warfare
on
Canyon ambush
-Match 5:
Zill's Merry Men
vs
Holy Roman Army
on
Duel at Dawn
-Match 6:
Sky Invading Rhinos
vs
Sacrilege
on
Duel at Dawn
Cross-Division:
-Match 7:
Overwatch
vs
Black Flight Squadron
on
Canyon Ambush

For Fun!
Include an upset of the week! Pick one match you think most likely to go differently from how you predicted! Upset of the week will not be awarded any points.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:46:24 pm by redria »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Challenge Tipping Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:16 am »
Yay! And this time im not failing that close to win :D.

Hammer
MH vs Muse 5-1
Rydr vs DPA 5-0
Clmr vs GwTh 0-5

Anvil:
Cake vs TAW 5-3
MM vs HRA 5-3
SIR vs Sac 5-4

Cross:
ovw vs bfs 3-5

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
Might as well have a go.

Hammer
Hatters def. Muse 5-1
Rydr def. DPA 5-1
GwTh def. Clamour 5-0

-Muse doesn't have the best track record, so Hatters shouldn't have too hard a time.
-The Rydrs are good, but I've seen DPA do well in the past. They can probably land a couple of kills.
-Thralls are good on a bad day and fantastic on a good day. I can't see them losing their match.

Anvil
TAW def. Cake 5-3
HRA def. MM 5-2
SIR def. SAC 5-4

-I've never been hugely impressed with TAW, but they've been working pretty hard lately. That should be enough to beat Cake.
-MM wasn't very good in the Sky League, and that's really all I have to go off of. HRA has a good roster, so I can see them managing a victory.
-A close one, but SIR pulled a victory out last time they faced each other, so I'll give them the edge.

Cross:
OVW def. BFS 5-3

-If OVW had their Sky League team, I'd call a 5-0. I don't really know what to expect from them now, however. Either way they probably won't lose to BFS.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
Hammer
Let's have a blast!

MH vs Muse 5-0
Rydr vs DPA 5-3
Clmr vs GwTh 2-5

Anvil:
Cake vs TAW 4-5
MM vs HRA 2-5
SIR vs Sac 4-5

Cross:
ovw vs bfs 5-4

Also, huge thanks to Sunderland for the love and Alistair for the copy-paste material <3

Offline Mysterious Medic

• Salutes: 35
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:35:29 pm »
I'm really hyped for this even though I won't be participating

Hammer:
MH vs Muse 5-0
Ryders vs DPA 5-1
Clmr vs GwTh 1-5

-The hatters have been constantly practicing their builds and tactics. This should be a white-wash especially if muse use a merc flak spire.

-Hiller and Lue work amazingly together, but I'll give DPA one since Lue is "right off the bench" so to say.

-The ducks drill all their teams mercilessly, but I feel their experience just won't be enough to deal with thralls surprise ambushes. (Especially with Thralls' new use of the blenderfish.)

Anvil:
Cake vs TAW 5-4
MM vs HRA 4-5
SIR vs SAC 5-3

-Cake have pulled out some experienced pilots this time, but I do believe TAW will give them a run for their money

-This one's hard, I've seen both teams practicing, and zill is back in charge, but I just think holy and spqr have had a bit more experience with more recent events while mm is still kinda old school.

-SIR have played against Sac and won mostly. However I do know SAC have been practicing a lot, so I wouldn't discredit them completely yet.

Edit: Nearly forgot about the cross

OVW vs BFS 3-5

-Gilder and Brick have a lot of experience together, where as the new OVW team has not nearly as much. As long as BFS don't try to go super long range mercs and trip art (Hopefully they've learned their lesson), I think BFS will pull out a win.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:49:41 pm by Mysterious Medic »

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:41 am »
OMG, let me try!

ALL MY HORSES ON CAKE!

did i do it right?

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:10 am »
hatters - muse 5:1
ryders - dpa 5:1
thralls - clamour 5:3

cake - taw 5:2
mm - holy 5:2
sir - sac 5:4

ovw - bfs 5:2

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:01:32 am »
Mad Hatters - Museosaurs 5:1
Hatters trying hard with their double pyra, and I see them progressing from their Sky League performance.

Ryders - DPA 5:3
Both teams are superagressive, so I expect very quick game. However, ryders tend to relax when they are sure in their victory, which changes their playstyle to a bit slobby manner, that is why I give so much points to DPA

Glowwater Thralls - Clamour 5:3
I really hope duclkings will land couple of good kills on thralls. I also foresee a close game of 5-4 if someone stick with naive idea that brawl mobula would work. Also ducklings got a good spawn ^^

Cake - TAW  5:1
All my horses on Cakes. TAWs still need a lot of crew training.

Holy Roman Army - MM 5:4
I seriously dont know Merry men, barely seen them in games and if I remember, they did not performed well in sky league. Holy has some good playes, so does SPQR, and I fully approve the decision to fight as alliance.

SIRs - Sacrilege 5:4
Brawl map, agressive teams. I am 100% sure that game will be very close.

OVW - BFS 5:2
Really depends on who is flying on BFS side. Gilder-Daft could make a victory together, if they  had same expierenced crews as Overwatch has. From recent practice I got an impression, that new Overwatch pilots feel themselves very confident on Canyon, so I won't be surprised to tee 5-1/5-0 score.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:52:23 pm »
Note!
Updated the OP. Include an upset of the week! Pick a match you think could go the opposite of your predictions! Not for points, just for fun.

Hammer
MH def Muse 5-3
Rydr def DPA 5-2
GwTh def Clmr 5-3

Anvil:
TAW def Cake 5-1
MM def HRA 5-1
SIR def Sac 5-4

Cross:
BFS def OVW 5-4

Upset of the Week:
Museosaurs bring a merc-flak spire and, since it's dunes and the Mad Hatter's seems to prefer pyramidions, Muse wins a shocking 5-2 match full of impressive heavy-flak kills (with a couple brutal deaths to ramming).

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:16 pm »
upset of the week, taw actually walks over cake with a quick 5-0 victory

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »
Ill add my reasons aswell.

Hammer
Mad HAtters are sure the better and more experience team. Not at their toplvl but still ... its muse ;).
Rydrs are one of the strongest teams of the more recent competetive scene. They got their amount of experience from Box socials and Sunday rumbles. They made a decent job in the sky league and they are so aggresive that a team like dpa with kinda low experience will most likely get surprised and wiped.
Thralls are really solid. They got alot of experience. They are really good. They can counter most strategies and a team like clamour with its kinda low amount of experience and their ducklike more passive playstyle will most likely fall into one of those thrall traps and get crushed.

Anvil:
While Taw sure isnt that bad cake fields alot of veterans. Not competetive wise but pub wise. And even if this is a competetive match taw isnt that used to competetive lvl either.
Both teams got their veteran players and quite a few experience. While MM havent played alot in the recent tournament i dont value collaborations to high as they tend to need their time to get used to each other. HRA might surprise us as Holy did in the sky league though.
This is surely one of the harder to guess matches. Both teams are at a similiar lvl. Both teams got quite a few experience in competetive matches and can react to what the enemy can bring.
But i still give it to SIR as i rate them a slither higher and their last confrontation also ended that way.

Cross:
This is surely not the easiest match. OVW misses a part of their team which will cripple them quite abid. Yes OVW got alot of experienced players and great ones aswell but they lack experience in competetive matches. BFS fields quite alot of experienced players and i think they can beat this ovw team. It will be close but they can grab their victory.

Upset of the week:
HRA vs MM
Holy manage to surprise most of us in the sky league when they stomped MM and grabbed first place in their group. SPQR got vets aswell and they might surprise me again.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »
Hammer:
MH vs Muse 5 - 2
Rydr vs DPA 5 - 2
GwTh vs Clmr 5 - 3

Anvil:
TAW vs Cake 5 - 3
MM vs HRA 5 - 4
SIR vs Sac 4 - 5

Cross:
BFS vs OVW 4 - 5

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 08:39:47 pm »
Hammer:

MH vs Muse 5 - 1
From what I've seen, the Hatters have been working pretty hard lately, so I don't expect they'll have too much of a problem with Muse. They might be able to score a kill or two, but no more than that.

Rydr vs DPA 5 - 0
I'm quite excited to see Lueosi back in play. I don't think the Deadpool gang will be able to put up too much resistance.

GwTh vs Clmr 5 - 1
Clamour's been working hard, but I feel like the Thralls are just too experienced for them to pull it off.  Give them a month or two and see where things stand. That being said, it is possible the Thralls will take something experimental or unconventional, which might give the Clamour the edge. I don't see that happening, however.

Anvil:

TAW vs Cake 5 - 3
I think TAW's been working on their game lately, so they should manage to pull it off vs the Cakes.

MM vs HRA 3 - 5
I haven't seen many of the Merry Men on lately, whereas Holy and SPQR are pretty regular fixtures in the game. With Zill back, things might change, but I think that the HRA will emerge victorious here.

SIR vs Sac 5 - 4
If I recall correctly, SIR got the upper hand on SAC during the Sky League group stage. However, I think Tropo has been trying out some new builds and strategies, so that might up their a game a bit. I think this one will be close, but considering their past history I'm going to give the Rhinos on this one.

Cross:

BFS vs OVW 3 - 5
I feel like BFS has been in a bit of a slump lately - they need a bit of a strategic freshening-up to get back in touch with the meta, perhaps reduce reliance on squids and especially mines, which are just too easy to counter competitively if your opponent has his thinking cap on. That being said, I'm not sure what kind of shape OvW is in with their recent restructuring. I do know, however, that OvW has been putting in a good bit of time, whereas I haven't seen the BFS guys on as much. I'll give this one, tentatively, to OvW.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »
May 31, 2014:
Hammer:

-Match 1:   
Mad Hatters vs   Museosaurs on   Battle on the Dunes 5-3

-Match 2:   
Rydr vs DeadPool's Army on Paritan Rumble 5-4