Author Topic: Burning Projectiles  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Burning Projectiles
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »
I once heard and witnessed that when flamerthrower hits a projectile, you can see a hitbox. What would be if the projectile(s) that are hit by a flamerthrower gain a higher chance to set fire (like maybe 100%)?

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Projectiles
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »
because then you would be F***ing yourself soo hard!

sorry let me explain. the flamer only hits enemy projectiles coming at you so giving the projectiles that a flamer hit something like that would be setting yourself on fire rather than doing anything good for your ship.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:04:28 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:26 pm »
I actually hoped this feature was implemented so you can burn down enemy projectiles mid-air before they hit your ship, but as of now I have a feeling it doesn't do anything other than just the fact it triggers at all. Maybe that's for the best, flamer is powerful enough as it is, making it also a defensive weapon would be an overkill, and so would be buffing projectiles with an ignition chance.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:23:20 pm by Deltajugg »

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »
Hypothetical Scenario: You are a gat/mortar, pyra enemy has flamer

Enemy tries to set you on fire while you shoot him and suddenly he catches fire as well! He wanted to take flamer, he has to live with the consequences (if that is actually consequence enough is questionable).

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »
Yea, we all know how this would look, but just recently flamer was barely used. Now it got buffed, and we see it more, why make it so you'll set enemy projectiles on fire and burn yourself, just so it won't be used again?

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:42:02 am »
Ships that use fire have to protect themselves from fire too. No matter how balanced the flamethrower I believe is, it can easily overpower the enemy crew and is rather easy to use itself.
And it's not like the flamer hits every projectile, it's is a "when it happens, it happens"-feature.

I just want to know wether people would get annoyed by this thing or not.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:51:44 am »
It would be annoying and would be too much of a drawback on the flamethrower.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:24:48 am »
I once heard and witnessed that when flamerthrower hits a projectile, you can see a hitbox.
From what I gather, these hitboxes happen because the flamer particles hit the ammunition as it flies. As the ammunition is a moving entity, it must (by physical law) have a health of some kind. I expect that the flamer is able to damage the ammunition. It's likely that they have a very very high health - probably the 32-bit number, and the health has no effect on the damage.

The flamer makes this obvious because of its high spread of fire. I suppose that the same is also possible with a Carronade if one pays enough attention and is lucky. I think I'll check it out later :D

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:17 am »
And what if it only hit friendly projectiles making it a viable support weapon. pros: long range fire cons:wasted gun slot as the damage of another gun>fire