Author Topic: Player conduct over voice chat  (Read 10223 times)

Offline Bagaway

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Player conduct over voice chat
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »
So I'm recently new to the game, however not new to the universe of online gaming.  So far I've been extremely excited in playing.  However one issue that became absolutely obvious is the player language and conduct over the voice chat.

I know it is impossible to be the police of a vast online community, however when I enter a match lobby and there is a group of players, of a range of ages, putting together a string of offensive obscenities, my question is there a plan to have game lobbies that are more "family" friendly?

I am hesitant to promote the game, and I'm sure many others are as well because of this issue.  What are the plan and/or player suggestions when this occurs for in game?

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Player conduct over voice chat
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:42 pm »
Hi Bagaway,

First off am sorry this was your experience of the game, We do try and keep on top of things like disruptive players, When said situation arises, we have a block feature, so you no longer can hear the profanities and a report feature so disruptive players are dealt with, Also a Profanity filter, Voice chat is harder to Moderate however.

Also there are CA's and Moderators online, you can get hold off to remove them from the game at the very least calm the situation down,

Guns of icarus is a pg13 game, But i do agree entirely that there should be some standards, which are in place and they are followed. Move it to a party chat or just talk a bit cleaner.

So please if you see players acting like this, just block report and hopefully there will be no more incidents,

Offline Bagaway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »
Thank you so much!  Keep up the great work by the way, as the game is fantastic.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »
Leave the lobby, or mute (Block) them all. You can block players by left clicking on their names->block players. This will mute their voice, erase their text chat from the chat box, and prevent them from sending you private messages. Additionally there is the profanity filter that erases profanities from the text chat, which is on by default. Finally if you really don't want to hear anyone's voice, you can disable voice chat altogether in the Audio options.

You are correct that it is impossible for Muse and a roster of Community Ambassadors to police the entire community with the scant resources and time that they have. Sadly the recent surge in popularity has brought with it an inevitable rise in the number of trolls and rude players. You can report them by left clicking on their names->Report. Fortunately, not all of us are like that :)

Edit: I was too slow by 4 minutes, lol

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:06 pm »
Bagaway feel free to contact me whenever I deal with these issues all the time ^.^

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
First off we the community try to make sure everyone feels comfortable and welcomed, if something makes you feel unwelcome or uncomfortable please please talk to a CA that's what they do.

IMO mild swearing is alright as personal expresson, but it's sort of personal taste and I don't mind if other people do it. Personal attacks of any sort are very bad and should be reported by pushing the report button, especially slurs and expletives used to belittle anyone. Just no.

In other words, it's questionable to rant and berate an OP gun/ship/tool, the lag, the superior skill of enemy team, or the Lady. Cussing out your crew or teammates is pretty much never ok.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:33:38 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
Block list...its a beautiful thing Bagaway.

My block list grows every time I log in to GOIO. Some say it is extreme to block list people for such simple things. I prefer to think of it as...if you remind me of XBL players even for a second, your no longer considered human but more a AI-human hybrid that is sometimes better, often times worse, than AI. As such you have thus given up your rights to speak and barely qualify as existing.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »
What i block people and they still get to message me and everything :(

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »
what that must be a bug, or maybe it's the price of being a CA mod that people can always talk to you.

Offline Bagaway

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:17 pm »
Folks,

This is great stuff.  I really do love this game.  I was brought here by the likes of Angry Joe, and Game Grumps you tube channels.  Once I got into the action it was exciting and a lot of folks were nice.  I've heard and seen obscenities in my lifetime, so I'm not a prude.  Really it was just an obscene amount of ignorant absurdity from a few folks, and I had my son and his friend in my party.    I was tempted to take video capture, but it was easier to just find another group, which is the better path.  I'm confident that the community will help make this a pleasant game as well.

Thank you all again for your time to address my question.  I'm trying to spread the good word!

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:02:04 pm »
Block list...its a beautiful thing Bagaway.

My block list grows every time I log in to GOIO. Some say it is extreme to block list people for such simple things. I prefer to think of it as...if you remind me of XBL players even for a second, your no longer considered human but more a AI-human hybrid that is sometimes better, often times worse, than AI. As such you have thus given up your rights to speak and barely qualify as existing.

Why do you take so much pride in disliking things? You post this stuff all the time.

More on-topic: It was unfortunate that this was your experience with the community. Most people that play this are infinitely more friendly and respectful than people in other online games. But there will always be people like that in online games, hopefully you stick around to see the good side.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:05:08 pm by Dutch Vanya »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:50 pm »
Of course, conduct like this Always peaks during sales, and then, people start acting like they do in league... A stern and firm reminder that this is Not League of Legends, and people should be civil and be less toxic should help, but the threat of a report or the summoning of a CA or CA Moderator usually works (The yellow name incurs manners in most, as you cannot tell if a CA is a CA Moderator in game.

My personal favorite backstory is that every time someone acts toxic in chat, a server hamster dies, thus increasing lag, as the devs cannot replace them until after the sale subsides.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:23 am »
my favorite story is that time I asked someone to stop they didn't and i gave them a 30 minute time out. I haven't seen em since ^.^

Offline WafflesToo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 04:18:31 pm »
my favorite story is that time I asked someone to stop they didn't and i gave them a 30 minute time out. I haven't seen em since ^.^

I really think I like you XD

My first experience with the game was pretty good. I happened to find a decent (read: PATIENT) captain who took my bumbling in good humor while I learned the ropes a bit. Lately the scene feels quite a bit more toxic in regards to respect and good sportsmanship (both sore winners and losers).  Hang in there I guess, there are good people here.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 10:30:11 am »
My first experience with the game was pretty good. I happened to find a decent (read: PATIENT) captain who took my bumbling in good humor while I learned the ropes a bit. Lately the scene feels quite a bit more toxic in regards to respect and good sportsmanship (both sore winners and losers).  Hang in there I guess, there are good people here.
There are definitely very good people in this community. By and large this game's community is very friendly once people get settled. I hope that this trend continues :D