Author Topic: Only captains can be pilots.  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Only captains can be pilots.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 08:59:12 am »
the problem with educating the clueless and reporting a troll is that it doesn't change the fact that your match has been ruined. Sure, you can do what you can to prevent the same person causing the same issue in the future.. but that doesn't mean it's a non-issue.
You are correct in your sentiment, and I do agree that you won't get that match back - but a new player vs an experienced player in any role will make a difference to a ship no matter what (whether it is a good or bad difference is utterly dependent on their skill).
Still, it's only one match - and isn't a serious one. Playing with and against pubs means signing a piece of paper acknowledging that you may have to deal with people who don't know what they're doing yet. It's all part of the game from that perspective. :)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »
but a new player vs an experienced player in any role will make a difference to a ship no matter what (whether it is a good or bad difference is utterly dependent on their skill).
Still, it's only one match - and isn't a serious one. Playing with and against pubs means signing a piece of paper acknowledging that you may have to deal with people who don't know what they're doing yet. It's all part of the game from that perspective. :)

That's not true, engineering skill is mostly learned from knowledge, and knowledge doesn't have to come from experience. I've met people playing their first match who were already excellent engineers or gunners, and a fair bit of the reverse. The goal is for everyone to have fun, and clueless people mid-joining as pilots is not fun, or at least a lot less fun than clueless people mid-joining as engi or gunner.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:06 am »
That's not true, engineering skill is mostly learned from knowledge, and knowledge doesn't have to come from experience. I've met people playing their first match who were already excellent engineers or gunners, and a fair bit of the reverse. The goal is for everyone to have fun, and clueless people mid-joining as pilots is not fun, or at least a lot less fun than clueless people mid-joining as engi or gunner.
Apologies for the misunderstanding. In my book, skill and knowledge are synonymous. :D

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12:54 am »
Apologies for the misunderstanding. In my book, skill and knowledge are synonymous. :D
"skill" is not the word you used.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:53:21 am »
(whether it is a good or bad difference is utterly dependent on their skill).

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:45 am »
Jacob, I am not saying that captains have to be pilots. I am just saying that the option to be pilot should be unselectable for those not in the pilot slot.

If there was a way to prevent double pilots, choose who speaks over captain chat, things like that, then thig might not be needed. However, at the very least I wish there was some acknowledgement that the captain ought to be the pilot.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
Matchmaking will fix this issue happening mid game, However in the lobby it will still be possible to change to pilot,but then that is active trolling so feel free to report.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 10:21:22 am »
I've come across plenty of players who honestly didn't understand, so I don't think reporting it as trolling is a "fix-all." And while matchmaking may solve it, it still seems a long way off.

I haven't read a majority of this thread, but yea.