Author Topic: Only captains can be pilots.  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Only captains can be pilots.
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:06:17 pm »
Please, just be tyrannical once for the greater good

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Only captains can be pilots.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »
You mean only the owner/captain of the ship can pilot it, or only pilot class can be in captain slot, or only pilot class can get on the helm?

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
Unless you are in the captain spot, you can not physically be a pilot.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:09:06 pm »
Hm, I guess he was saying that only people with leader skills should take piloting position. Unless you are captain in heart, dont take the bloody helm.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:44 pm »
The captain already gets helm privileges. Captains always steer the ship, a captain is always an engineer or a pilot. Crew are always engineer or gunner, because pilots are absolutely useless off helm. Sammy is asking muse to prevent crew from switching to pilot. There is no reason for crew ever to switch to pilot, people only do it if they are clueless or trolling.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:01:10 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
Don't forget the times when we're having the hilarity builds. (4 captain junker, for hilarity's sake.)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 06:09:19 pm »
I'm sorry but the "hilarity" pales in comparison to the frustration of people joining as a pilot as the countdown starts and then refuse to change because "You aren't in command of me." The latter is amazingly common. The former is just silly.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
Ok, so the only way to choose pilot class is to be in the captain slot... no joining running games as pilot unless the slot is open.

I can't argue with that, even for silliness' sake. Matchmaking is supposed to fix that issue... I guess.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »
What about when a crew member NEEDS both a spyglass and a range-finder more than they need 3 ammo types or 3 repair tools, or perhaps they run a tag team strategy swapping out to use defensive flight tools such as drogue chute and impact bumpers? That top right gun on the front of a pyra can easily be manned by a crew member with a pipewrench, 1 choice of ammo, and nothing else. Absolutely viable, and don't deny it.

copilot is best tactic
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:26:54 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:04 pm »
The captain already gets helm privileges. Captains always steer the ship, a captain is always an engineer or a pilot. Crew are always engineer or gunner, because pilots are absolutely useless off helm. Sammy is asking muse to prevent crew from switching to pilot. There is no reason for crew ever to switch to pilot, people only do it if they are clueless or trolling.

Yesterday I  flew on desert scrap aboard Reths mine junker, as I was the only other crewmember, he elected to pilot as a gunner to have more flexibility while shooting the mine launcher after we parked up in the point. Absolutely viable, and don't deny it.

There are situations where another person has crewed as a gunner for me in the captain spot in order to use captain chat and relay commands while I piloted, (I have no microphone) the gunner often having more situational awareness than engineers in regards to ship positioning as they are manning guns 90% of the time not tied down on repairs. Absolutely viable, and don't deny it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:35:07 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:53 pm »
denied

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 05:40:36 am »
What about when a crew member NEEDS both a spyglass and a range-finder more than they need 3 ammo types or 3 repair tools, or perhaps they run a tag team strategy swapping out to use defensive flight tools such as drogue chute and impact bumpers? That top right gun on the front of a pyra can easily be manned by a crew member with a pipewrench, 1 choice of ammo, and nothing else. Absolutely viable, and don't deny it.

copilot is best tactic

Copilot best tactic? We are anxious to see it in competitive matches.
Unless you need copiloting only for free achievement farm. But you never did anything like that, Geo  ;D

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:41:43 am »
Yesterday I  flew on desert scrap aboard Reths mine junker, as I was the only other crewmember, he elected to pilot as a gunner to have more flexibility while shooting the mine launcher after we parked up in the point. Absolutely viable, and don't deny it.
I pilot my Mobula as a gunner quite often. While pilots (lower case due to illegitimate command) do sometimes join matches either by mistake or as trolls, removing that choice is not necessarily a good idea. if you wanted an "All Pilots are Captains but Captains aren't all Pilots" rule, I could kind of understand. It isn't particularly necessary though.
If someone joins as a pilot then if they're clueless - educate them. If they're trolls - report them and move on. It's worked for me so far :D

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:31:25 am »
maybe remove the ability to midmatch join as a pilot not in a captain slot? cause I think that's where the main issue lies.
although personally I'd have no objection to a total ban on crew pilots.

the problem with educating the clueless and reporting a troll is that it doesn't change the fact that your match has been ruined. Sure, you can do what you can to prevent the same person causing the same issue in the future.. but that doesn't mean it's a non-issue.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:33:53 am by Velvet »

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 08:53:17 am »
I pilot my Mobula as a gunner quite often. While pilots (lower case due to illegitimate command) do sometimes join matches either by mistake or as trolls, removing that choice is not necessarily a good idea. if you wanted an "All Pilots are Captains but Captains aren't all Pilots" rule, I could kind of understand. It isn't particularly necessary though.
If someone joins as a pilot then if they're clueless - educate them. If they're trolls - report them and move on. It's worked for me so far :D

This was purely because ai don't shoot mines, we had 2 ai so he piloted us into the point as a gunner then hopped off the helm and on to the gun.