Author Topic: How to handle silent or noncommunicative crews  (Read 19216 times)

Offline Cpt. Wafflebeard

• Salutes: 5
    • View Profile
How to handle silent or noncommunicative crews
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:30:45 pm »
We've all been there. You join up a random game and before you can ask what the captain expects out of you, the match starts. It is only in the middle of the match do you learn that no one is talking. All questions you ask to try and be a team player goes unanswered, and you're just running around like a chicken with his head cut off because no one is communicating any orders or enemy positions. This of course, not only frustrates me, it infuriates me. If I complain about it, or tell said team on text chat that as the manual says, "Sealed lips sink ships" you can better believe that I'm going to be argued over it. Of course, arguing in this case just means the team throwing insults my way, or to tell me to, "stop crying".

And then there are crews that talk on their own little VoIP (Mumble, Teamspeak 3, Ventrilo, etc) leaving you completely in the the dark. Rarely do I find an issue with the ingame voice function, and leaving even one crew member in the dark is like sabotaging your own ship. If you're gonna use the third party VoIP, bring a full crew into the game with it.

As anyone who would come into this forum could tell you, is that this game requires a massive amount of teamwork and communication. This reasoning is also probably why this game has such a low player retention.

So what do you do? You could leave, but leaves are tracked. I always stick it out to the end no matter how angry I get at a team or captain that's completely silent. You could try and push your team to communicate, but, at least for me, that always ends badly.

What other options are there?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle silent or noncommunicative crews
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
Leave a match you are not enjoying because of lack of communication. No one cares about leave counts if you come into a lobby and actually talk in a reasonable manner.

Offline Kanja

• Salutes: 1
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:43:29 pm »
Keep on communicating with them, would be my suggestion. They either understand that there has to be some method of communication between the crew/team in order to fully play the game, and evolve, or they get bored, and stop playing. Perhaps even the tutorials should use voice also, besides text, to "soften" them up to the rest of the game?

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
I believe most of the higher levels found some sort of "solution" in extending the time they spend in lobby. Of course, one needs to set their ship right, crew layout properly and such, but I've seen people not readying up even though they are, simply because they were unsatisfied with their teammate either readying up with inexperienced crew with bad builds, or having such low level noob as an allied captain himself, with double mortar pyra and such.

You can try that, Richard's suggestion is also viable.
Personally, as much as I don't leave games I'm already in, I have no problem in looking for a proper lobby for an extended period of time. Most of the time during my low levels I spent joining the games that were already in progress and crews had levels I was satisfied with.
For a brief moment I also played with my friends, but they gave up the game quickly. Still, they played like 20, maybe 40 matches with me, it's always something.
Other than that I found people that accepted me on their ships despite me being low level, since they knew my skill already from the previous game ( here I'd like to thank LeonXross, AbbyTheRat, Tropo and others that didn't kick me out because I was level 4 and gave me a chance first :P)
My suggestion is to add people you find competent to your friends list and stick with them. It's much easier to play with someone you find able of doing simple tasks compared to what randoms can give you. And I'm saying that being scarred for life after the match with two random Dementors ;_; (avoid Crimson Baron and Potrox, they will drain all happiness and will to live from you).

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:54:34 am »
...Meh, I'm always cursed with at least one non-cooperative crew member...

...I think it's the yellow name, it attracts loads of attention and annoyances, but meh, I can usually deal with it... ...Unless I have had a bad day or am high on sugar and/or caffeine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:56:29 am by macmacnick »

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:22:28 am »
( here I'd like to thank LeonXross, AbbyTheRat, Tropo and others that didn't kick me out because I was level 4 and gave me a chance first :P)

Hee, thanks! I'm not all that great, and anyway you responded to me so that's not the issue on hand with Wafflebeard.

Offline Cpt. Wafflebeard

• Salutes: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:52 pm »
( here I'd like to thank LeonXross, AbbyTheRat, Tropo and others that didn't kick me out because I was level 4 and gave me a chance first :P)

I've played with Tropo many times, even whooped his butt. He's awesome. :3

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 05:59:55 am »
oh thanks guys he he

i like to be able to just get a text responses from some one so i know there being a team player

best way i have had to find a match is i tpye in to global chat g'day how is everyone whos up for a game
if there tpying in global ever i join there ship or take them under my wing as a crew if i can

mid game battle with no talking i usaul just try and do my best to keep there ship alive after the match find anouther lobby

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 06:26:50 am »
Hi Cpt,

Sorry you have this issue, i use to suffer from this a lot to, my solution was to join a clan, people who take the game at least a little serious like me, and then you make friends adapt expand and you learn quickly there are different types of players.

Some people just want to come on have a few matches and leave, which is perfectly fine, but if you get yourself hitched up with a big enough clan you can always guarantee players will be on to crew up with, stability in your crew means you can focus on improving your skills. and worry less about babysitting them,

Then you only need to deal with co pilots not co operating if you go pilot, even then though you could fly with a clan mate, and if you meet somone uncommunicative your ship is still solid and might still win.

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 07:18:14 am »
Ohai! Keep playing.
With time you will figure out what to do.
There are usually 3 main positions on every ship (unless it's a very creative one)
If i join mid match or have a silent crew i just turn on some nice music and pick up the slack!

ALTERNATIVELY:

Look at the clan-list, the first page features some of the nicest most active and established clans out there:
(of the top of my head... there are many more!)
  • [Cake] : The Barons and Baronesses of Burns! Messing up the Meta, with Friendship and Fire!
  • [Clan] : The Clan Clan.. Clan.
  • [Duck] : Incredible Strategy + Breadcrumbs = Quack Quack
  • [Gent] : The Gentlemen. elegant, well trained and jolly good!
  • [OVW] : Overwatch. A clan built on close friendships and various games. (they are dating Cakes)
  • [SAC] : Sacrilege. Built on friendship and the adventures of YoloSwagJesus.
  • [SIR] : Sky invading Rhinos. A European clan that is known for its professionalism and adorable rhinos.
  • [TB] : The Brotherhood. Building on life-long friendships, dedicated to TimmyB
  • [TBB] : The Bully Boys (and Babes). A multi game clan known to mess up boring competitive matches with MINES!
If you see them online, or in global just join their crew! Ask questions :)
We are a very welcoming community. Don't be shy! Veterans aren't born, and we're here to make them!

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »
I am sad now, B'Elanna T.T

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
I am sad now, B'Elanna T.T
And of course:
  • [MM] : Zill's Merry Men (and Maidens). A collection of veterans that harbour a dinosaur called Shinkurex.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
harbour a dinosaur called Shinkurex.[/li][/list]

that's a new one for me.... never been called a dinosaur before.... hmmmmm

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »
    harbour a dinosaur called Shinkurex.[/li][/list]

that's a new one for me.... never been called a dinosaur before.... hmmmmm

COME ON! Shinkurex? T-Rex? Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
      • [WOLF]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:23 am »
    and avoid the ryders and wolves because they like to fly up close and personal which is a well known exploit