Author Topic: Karaoke Night  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Karaoke Night
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:31:21 am »
So this is what I'm thinking:

Just for the hell of it, we get a 3v3 lobby, everyone in the lobby MUST be in party chat (and that is the only voice you can use.)  Once the game gets going, you all sing while blasting each other out of the skies!

Just imagine the spectacle of 6 flare gun junkers in Raid of the Refinery all singing "Disco Inferno," or "Take On Me" while in a game of Desert Scrap...

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Karaoke Night
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:45:43 am »
I don't know about you but I just want to set the world on fire.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:35:43 am »
...and it burns, burns, burns.... the ring of fire, the ring of fire...

(that was meant to be my application for this event, use your imaginary ears and rate my above performance please)

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 07:06:10 am »
I tried to get one of these started during a CA party chat. Didn't quite work as intended... But it'd certainly be a good way to spend a couple hours.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
If we're talking about ways to make music in-game with voice chat, latency is always a big problem. You can't sing in sync.

This issue is also a great strength if you sing scat together. If you have two musically-minded people start off the song, their tunes will naturally fall in time with the server latency. Once the tempo is synced to the server latency, anyone that sings in time from their own point of view will also sound in time to anyone else who has the same latency (albeit their tune will be one or two beats late compared to the performer - it still sounds right). This allows for multi-layering of many performers and it sounds in-time and awesome to everyone concerned.

***DISCLAIMER - this works worse and worse once you start adding continents. People in US and people in UK have different latencies which complicates the issue. As a general case, stick to one continent for best results***