Author Topic: Outline ship indicators on the map  (Read 7489 times)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Outline ship indicators on the map
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:03:00 pm »
It's an absolute bitch trying to find your own ship and your allies on the map, they'll blend into the background.  It's even harder if you're red/green colorblind like myself, red and brown look very similar and it can take me ages to figure out where I need to go to meet up with my allies.  A simple white border on those ship markers to make them stand out from the background would work wonders.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Outline ship indicators on the map
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:49:14 am »
I agree 100%. Whenever I pull up the map, I spend a good amount of time searching for players because they don't pop out from the background. If the arrows had a strong black or white outline, colorblind mode toggle, and perhaps a gentle flashing animation to them beyond the indicator showing they are being damaged, it would be leagues easier. But that also makes me sound like I'm an 80 year old man.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:51:14 am »
Or that you just suck at Where's Waldo.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:36:06 am »
I also run into this problem in 3v3, trying to discern who is who.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:43 am »
I kinda like it.

It's incredibly difficult to spot a person wearing the right clothing in real life, especially at range. Even large vehicles, main battle tanks, and helicopters can achieve this level of camouflage.  Hell, we even doctor up buildings this way if shit gets real.

That being said, as Awkm put it, real does not usually equal fun. I was pretty incensed when he said it, but it's damn true.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
Camouflage when looking for something in the field I can understand.  Camouflage on a 2D map whose purpose is to let you find the people who are "communicating" their position to you is stupid.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »
What if they took the indicators out altogether? Now you have to relay grid coordinates to your teammate to identify EN ship location. Mwahahahahaha

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:28 am »
What if they took the indicators out altogether? Now you have to relay grid coordinates to your teammate to identify EN ship location. Mwahahahahaha

"Alright, newbies, get to B5 and stick together."

"Why are we playing Battleship?"

Offline Lost in woods

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:19:56 am »
I think we need to sign the name and class of the ship on the map. To sign in the "air" can be useful too, maybe pushing on specific button. Or "e" button as a variant. We may see that ship first time in life - but our characters are to know who they fight with :)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »
For me this isn't much of a problem except for red team on Canyon Ambush. The hue of the terrain matches the hue of the ship icon a little too well. I guess it would suck even more for red/green color blind people like Helmic. Sorry man.