Author Topic: Rocket Harpoon.  (Read 19625 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Harpoon.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
Recent posts brought this back to my attention, and I thought I would play around with some quick and dirty image manipulation. Was going to go for a standard ballista, but saw a few images that got me to thinking that there are no other themed guns like the Manticore. Thus, after some messy image merging....

The ROCKET HARPOON DRAGON BALLISTA!

That's... epic

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 10:48:45 pm »
That gun... Oh yes...

I just want to get on that thing, and Rocket Harpoon EVERYTHING.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »
That looks ﻉρٱƈ :D

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:19:10 am »
I'd like it to be handle-able by the engineer.

When it hits, all hits on the hull will contribute "rebuild" damage to it to knock it off.

It requires the same amount of hits as the hull does to knock off and negate the explosive damage (and obviously stop its propulsion).

Additional use: it should be friendly fireable. Shoot a few into the back of your galleon and have it one shot ram things at Mach 2.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:44 am »
I like the design. Implement this already!

Also, didn't think of this til just now when I was looking over the thread again, but this entire effect could be accomplished simply by using Impact Damage, rather than trying to make some overly complicated rocket mechanic. Perhaps it could pulse the damage after impact, so it's short bursts of impact damage, if you really wanted it to move the ship for an extended period of time.
The broken mechanics of the harpoon could probably be reused for this gun. After all it's very close to what is needed to make this gun work (A static force into the direction of the impact applied over a set time). It's basically what our current harpoon does - just without taking the variable relative position of the ships into account.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
Reverse the force and have it effect only the target ship? Sounds good. But, I do agree with changing the primary damage to Impact instead of piercing, and giving the target ship a bit of a jolt before the push.

In effect, this would be a lot like getting hit by a Squid... that pushes like an insane captain then explodes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:21:07 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 07:36:44 am »
I'd like it to be handle-able by the engineer.

When it hits, all hits on the hull will contribute "rebuild" damage to it to knock it off.

It requires the same amount of hits as the hull does to knock off and negate the explosive damage (and obviously stop its propulsion).

Additional use: it should be friendly fireable. Shoot a few into the back of your galleon and have it one shot ram things at Mach 2.

...You're a genius!  I really really like this idea.  Could be amazing, or it cou.d be really bad, depends on balance.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 08:24:41 pm »
Reverse version of harpoon, able to cause some damage? Sounds great for me; something between utility weaponry and normal guns (in favor of the latter). That's helluva good idea. WANT IT.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »
In effect, this would be a lot like getting hit by a Squid... that pushes like an insane captain then explodes.

...that sounds exactly like most of my experiences getting hit by a Squid, actually...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »
it already exists. it's called a loch poon.

before anything like this they need to fix the physics of the poon. and by the looks of the gun I'd be happier if it was a heavy flamer.

sorta like a flamer carronade.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »
it already exists. it's called a loch poon.

before anything like this they need to fix the physics of the poon. and by the looks of the gun I'd be happier if it was a heavy flamer.

sorta like a flamer carronade.

But with a Hwacha style covering.  Nah, the Rocketpoon sounds better.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 05:15:51 am »
I prefer the name minotaur!!!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 10:57:58 am »
The idea is to create a new type of weapon and gameplay opportunities. This gun pushes rather than pulls, so no, lochpoon would not be similar at all. Making a large flamethrower is just... well, a large flamethrower. Besides, the Ixion is much better than a large flamer.