Author Topic: Russian translation of game  (Read 5025 times)

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
Russian translation of game
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:09:01 am »
I know, i know - dev's a busy and got a lot stuff to do, and this post seem's a little arrogant (what? For those weird-speaking guys a full translation?!) , so here my suggestion:

There a lot Russian players in game, and for them, especially for those, who don't learn English in school (and there a lot of them, for shame), it's kinda hard to understand what is what in game. So I, my brother, and maybe a couple of my friends, who good with English is volunteer for making a translation of in-game text from English for Russian, of course for free - because this game is awesome and we want to see a lot of new players in it. ^_^ And come one - not all Russian's so bad. So yeah - if it's possible - we want to help with translation.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Russian translation of game
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:17:03 am »
There was a discussion about this on the old forum. It was generally agreed that it would be a cool idea, but a large undertaking, as Jess explained:

In-game translation would be a huge undertaking for us, and not just in terms of generating the content. Because of the way the UI and text are currently structured, making the game localization-ready would take a whole lot of groundwork that we simply don't have the bandwith for at present. If we ever do decide to localize the game, though, we would surely be reaching out to the community for translation help.

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:18:55 am »
Ah... i see.) Well, if need be - just make a call. ^_^ We will gladly help with this. I mean me and my brother.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:20:55 am »
Ah... i see.) Well, if need be - just make a call. ^_^ We will gladly help with this. I mean me and my brother.

It's great to see you willing to help the community like that. If Muse ever needs to do some translation, I'll make sure they speak to you.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »
I'm almost certain that the dev team's changed their minds about this since then and may already be modifying some elements to read from a .txt for easy modification.  A significant portion of the playerbase does not speak English, they could get quite a few more sales if they could put Russian or Japanese under supported languages, it'd be stupid to write it off as requiring too many resources when they're already going through with funding for Adventure Mode.  If anything, it'd be better to get this out of the way now so that Adventure Mode wouldn't have to be modified as well.  The actual translation can be handled by fans if need be, many games and software do this to great effect.  It runs the risk of not being as "polished" as a professional translation or becoming out of date and incomplete, but it is better than not having a translation at all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:13:00 pm by Helmic »