Author Topic: reusable dyes & more ship customisation dye areas  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
reusable dyes & more ship customisation dye areas
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »
Reusable dyes

Although dyes are a lot of fun, I have a couple of gripes with the current dye system, particularly since ship customisation came out,
- you have to pay to try out a (ship) dye and see how it looks in game
- you will waste money, or a prize, if you change your mind about a dye
- you can't dye your ship a different colour for special occasions because you lose the previously applied dye
- you have to pay to remove a dye - keep in mind that this is quite possibly a dye that you've already paid for, on a costume you've paid for.

I'd instead like to see dyes getting several times more expensive but are not consumed when they are applied. I am primarily thinking of this on ships, where the store preview function is much less useful than costumes and there's more reasons you might want to vary your balloon colour. However there's no reason not to include it for costumes too.

This would make me personally spend more money on the store; I'd buy more dyes because there's no longer a situation where I'd have to pay twice to restore my outfits conditions if I changed my mind about a dye, making it more likely that I'd buy stuff on impulse or to use for a special occasion, and I'd also buy more new outfits because I'd already have spent money on expensive reusable dyes.. meaning more outfits gives me opportunity to use my dye collection instead of the current situation where buying more outfits also requires buying more dyes.

If some people feel they'd miss one use dyes, or there's an issue with invalidating the dye collections people already own, you wouldn't need to remove the old style of dye. Reusable dyes could be a special "premium" dye that costs a lot more and is just intended for dedicated players who want to invest in the freedom to vary their outfit without cost implications.

Ship customisation dyes

2 things I'd like to see on this front
  • ability to dye the hull or areas of hull armour. This could either by in the style of paint, or metallic variations (eg. gold, silver, rusted) for armour sections. You could even introduce 2 new dye regions; for metal types on armour sections, and the paint on wooden parts of the hull.
  • consistency with balloon dyes. i.e. fix the textures & dye areas on the pyramidion, galleon and junker, I feel it's a bit of an oversight that those ships' balloons don't dye properly because they follow a different design from the newer ships. It would be great if you could get an artist to make the necessary changes to allow the whole balloon to be dyed the same as the others.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:58:04 pm by Velvet »