Author Topic: casual interim event on saturdays?  (Read 13912 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
casual interim event on saturdays?
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:06:51 am »
With the Sky League over and no established organiser running anything (at least foreseeably in the next couple of weeks) I'm wondering if we need a community solution to temporarily fill the Saturday slot and leave us with something to do.

If anyone would be interested in participating in or casting such an event please state your interest and I'll try and get something organised for the upcoming Saturday. If anyone thinks they'd make a better job of organising an interim event than me... they're probably right. I'd be happy to step aside in that case. ^^

My preliminary suggestion is to take the structure and start time straight from the Saturday Box Social. However I'm open to other people's ideas; there's a couple of ways we could take advantage of the fact that this a nonserious, interim event eg. trying Bo1 instead of Bo3 or implementing novelty ship/loadout rules. I'd kind of like to repeat Baptism by Spire, or take a new spin on the same kind of idea. Baptism by Mobula?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: casual interim event on saturdays?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:28 am »
Give us a few days guys. A new tournament is in the work and will go start soon.

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:08:11 am »
presumably your tournament will not be announced much sooner than next weekend and you'll allow more than a week for signups. leaving a minimum of 2 weekends that an interim event could fill in. The event I'm proposing to organise is only a temporary one to give teams something to do in this current gap.

My assumptions may be wrong and you might be planning to push the league out much sooner. However that's not at all clear or the impression I'm getting, so unless you actually say so I'm going to attempt to continue with this initiative. The nice thing about an event modelled after the Box Social or Sunday Rumble is there's no massive signup phase or persisting structure so it can easily be discontinued with very little notice. Unless you're planning to do something this very next weekend, there's at least room for one iteration of an interim event.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:29:29 am by Velvet »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:28:45 am »
K then i just missunderstood you and thought you plan it a big bigger ;).

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
K then i just missunderstood you and thought you plan it a big bigger ;).
ok, cool. I'm well aware of the upcoming tournament/league and looking forward to it. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. ^^

That said, I spoke to Skrimskraw and now I'm considering focusing on the Sunday rather than the Saturday. That means no concern of conflict with the major event and that, if people wanted, both could continue in parallel and we'd return to the pre-Sky League state of 2 events to play in each weekend. So I have a new query:

who is interested in a new event on Sunday, and if so how much would you like to see changed or retained from the structure and rules of the Sunday Rumble?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:47 am »
a new sort of rumble would be amazing, the rules were made over a long period and seem solid to begin with, changes can be made later down the line if there are complications.

other than that.

we'd need:
casters
streamers
referees

we have a solid ca group now with dedicated people, possibly if we can talk them into running it, so us team leaders or players wont have to. (organizer bias)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:39:41 am »
Rhinos are interested. I do believe there's a need for some sort of bridge events until redrias/Alistaris League kicks off. So I think you're not wasting your time if you just set something up for the next 2-3 weeks, Velvet. I doubt it'll fail due to the lack of participants.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:00 am »
Be nice to have something that can just be there constantly in the down time between the seasonal tournaments :)

I can't stream but would be happy to color commentate with a play by play commentator.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:03:13 am »
if we find out how it can be done on sundays we can easily run it saturdays untill the league is ready.

I talked with velvet.

I told him either to find someone who is a dedicated organizer like urz was, or have some sort of organizing group that can support eachother and share the load of organizing every week.

If we go by standard sunday rumble rules that is set, and we can always change it down the path.
we need casters, streamers and referees before we can start this though.

when we have that sorted its probaly easier to find an organizer or people interested in helping.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:12:49 am »
a big suggestion here is that if you want to be a part of it, now would be a good time to tell velvet.

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:39 am »
ok, so we will try and get the Sunday thing running.

As Skrim's said, our intention is to use the same rules you're familiar with from the Sunday Rumble as those are tried and tested. (so Bo3 tournament, 8pm UTC, 30 minute timelimit on matches - although I think a shorter timelimit of Bo1 is worth considering, I'd like your opinions on that please)

Although the final plan is to have casters, referees and an organiser independent of any competitive team, to get things started as soon as possible I will probably take a role in organising (and not participating in) the initial iteration(s). In the long run we would like to see this as a true "community event" - with input from all potential participants both in terms or suggestions/requests and the running of the event. That way every clan can feel they are adequately represented, and we won't rely on individuals who can get burned out with the number of things on their plate.

EDIT: probably should forget about Saturdays too, though. In the interim period before the next big event, would people prefer to see this event running on Saturdays, Sundays or both?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:31:08 am by Velvet »

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:56 am »
since the league is best of 1 i think it would be best to have this as best of 3

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 11:17:16 am »
I would be able to get a team together of it was on Sundays

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »
You know where to find me for casting purposes.

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »
You know where to find me for casting purposes.
I'll start looking. ^^