Author Topic: Fleeing the scene  (Read 13826 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeing the scene
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 03:57:36 pm »
I requested a salt mine, actually. :)

Offline Cinders

• Salutes: 0
    • [BROF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys, though I think only 3 peeps caught what I was saying.  A lot of you.. cough cough, used this as an opportunity to soap box on l337 skillz you may or may not have ;)

I like the current gameplay well enough.  Some of the maps, again, Paritan or Raid, have some great details that are missed since nobody will go low.  Evah.  Balloon shielding is A tactic, but not a great one.  You go lower than me, I'm going to say "tank the hull" and come smashing down you.

There is the lack of escape, though the squid is able.  Say you enter into combat and realize early that it's going bad.  Turning to run, against any captain worth his salt, is suicide.  Chute vent will buy you a few seconds, but now you have diminished ability to climb as they come down on top or above your gun arc.

Lame, perhaps, but something like a "flock of balloons" released upward that could block a few shots, block view, or better yet, catch against the enemy's boat and exert upward force.  That would open up the distance as you dive and maneuver, giving some meta to the tactic.

Anyway, I think we all have some "this one time I totally lost them in an alley!" story, but it's not something that happens other than at random.  Most captains will just climb above the level of maneuver (i.e. above the buildings) and fire down you.  And taking heavy fire from above, while having nowhere to go, is lethal in most cases.  That enemy boat can lumber along high above, not worrying about dodging any of the junk, raining down shots.  Your damaged balloon won't climb fast, your engineers are busy, your guns can't fire up. 

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
Generally speaking if you turn and run from an engagement, you have probably signed your own death warrant. Trust me, as a Junker pilot, I know the futility of running.

I think this game though would do well with more escape tools, especially with the unasked and undeserved nerf "fix" they have given tar barrel. Paper thin dummies or your balloon wall thing could be quite cool

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 12:15:32 pm »
You still didnt say exactly what ship you are flying.
But like you mentioned, ships like the squid can outrun but even that ship cannot survive escaping, its just quicker at getting cover.

Even in, movies i guess, diving down doesnt help much. The Chaser always shoots down at the enemy, the prey just has to get low where all the cover is.
And trust me again, USE low altitude, and use that low altitude to get a suprise on high altitude.

Your example on paritian does not help much because you dont say if you are in the open or getting into cover. You keep saying you "Dive down" to street level. Thats not going to help, you are just going down. And they arent going to follow you. Cause they can shoot. When you are in Low altitude it is much more difficult for high altitude to see you while you can see the easy to see guys on high altitude giving you a tactical advantage of getting the drop(Lift?) on them.
When they realise this they themselves will go into hiding by going down.

Your only tools of direct intention of escaping is the TAR and the Mine Launcher. The TAR always goes behind the ship, but forward isnt faster than backwards. Back peddling for half the ships is a means of escaping +  fending off the enemy with whatever weapons.

A pyramidion running away showing his backside, isnt going to work well. Flying backwards with view on an enemy that chases you can actualy land you the kill.
Flying backwards with a junker gives you atleast 1 gun to defend yourself with along with protecting your engines from the enemy that is chasing in the front.
Jump on a spire, and you will never think to Turn around and fly away. Because flying backwards, works just as well and better.

Taking cover in the other hand is much better. Have cover, and you are safe. Or for close range situations, you get a small breathing time. And at cover you can make a comeback. And the place where cover resides is at low altitudes. If you take cover behind somewhere high altitude can shoot down at you, then its not a good cover. Then it is just equal altitude cover (Or ships that are at the same altitude of that cover only).

If you would fly around a cover being chased from high altitude to where you are at low. And you are still getting hit. It wouldnt matter if you were on his altitude also, because he manages to get a horizontal line of sight constantly. No matter what altitude, you cannot escape someone that manages to keep a horizontal speed and line of sight up with you. Go underneath them, then all of a sudden they will have to go down, or fly away to get the gun arcs on you. If you notice this, like i said. If HE goes down, you go UP. If he flies away. You fly away. Giving you that extra momentum of advantage when it comes to escaping or getting the upper hand.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »
The most important part in escaping from a fight is knowing when to run. The moment your ally dies you need to make a snap decision as to if you can kill your current target or if you should run. Waiting until you have taken a couple hits and your engineering crew is stressed is not the time to make the "we are getting out of here" decision. I have escaped Goldfish and Pyras in a Junker.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »
I think we all have some "this one time I totally lost them in an alley!" story, but it's not something that happens other than at random.
I disagree. With Pyras, Goldies and squids it is possible to flee and relocate from experienced pilots in a planned and controlled manner.