Author Topic: Return Of Resource Race  (Read 5842 times)

Offline FredTheFifth

• Salutes: 9
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Return Of Resource Race
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:11 pm »
I think resource race should return but with maybe just 2 active points instead of 5 and the point limit reduced, that way the game wont drag on and it will be much easier to defend and take a point.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
Re: Return Of Resource Race
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:22 pm »
Resource race was always easy to take a Capture point, and the games never dragged on, unless the teams were unaware of the match type, due to the fact that there were five points and three ships per team. The total amount of points made it a race to capture, recap enemy points, and then block the attempts at uncapping their own points. This alluded to the "Race" in the name, and a Two Capture point version would make it less of a race and more of a contest of either who overwhelms the Capture points or those that manage to take a point first, then zealously guard it, with two ships guarding the point and one attempting to Uncap the points.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:39:17 pm »
3 points would be better 2 on each end and then 1 in the center.

Offline FredTheFifth

• Salutes: 9
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:24 pm »
Well I can't say I've played it but according to what I've heard everyone just went squid and the first one won, then it was just waiting for a while. the reduction of active points would make it feel like the points actually might be fought over as going from one place to another in GOI isn't particularly fun. It doesn't have to be called resource race, I just think that we should have more game modes to bring a bit more variety to the game.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »
I too think that having 2 points is nice a idea and something new to the gamemodes and maps, escpecially with at least 3 ships per team. It would allow to have long and close range on the same team and forcing either the team to
- split up: 2 going for the next point and 1 protecting the current one or 1 going for the next point and 2 protecting the current one
- stay together: everybody attacks or defends

The latter one needs a bit of tuning, since you don't want the scenario where 1 entire team protects its own point that it captured before the enemy team even captured their point and then just camp it out. But then again, Desert Scrap proves that even 3 ships together and ready can be beaten.
If this game mode should be availabe in 4v4 then it needs to be tested if you can 4 ships at once just like 3 ships...

Another thing is to consider where the ships spawn in the beginning of the match as well as in the middle of it.
For the beginning of the matchs hould they spawn in the middle of the map and just fight it out or disable the other team or just book it for the point?
Or should they all spawn at a point where both teams have the same distance to both points?
The second choice could lead to interesting engagements when the teams decide to split up whereas the first choice would need long range cover less the spawned ships dies immediately.
And for the spawns in the middle of the match, should they be set spawnpoints like normally or actually change with the captured points to get spawn advantages? For example: You captured point A now you can spawn closer to point A, giving you an easier opportunity to block the enemy from capturing once more, however the fight might not be easier for you.

Needless to say, I highly approve of this suggestion since it offers a style of gameplay that cannot be replaceted by any other gamemode and replaces the old original resource race where the fastest capper wins, which completely eliminates the thought of using one of the slower ships.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:35:01 pm »
Either way we need more map variety. At the very least, 2v2 versions of some 3v3 maps as discussed in this thread.
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=3827.0

We could then also perhaps have resource race versions of those maps, and maybe king of the hill too.