Author Topic: 1.3.6 Harpoon Changes  (Read 50206 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.6 Harpoon Changes
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:21 am »
Yes, the reload should be much faster.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 10:09:53 am »
I agree with the reload, need to be slightly faster.. and then maybe I'll run with a harpoon+gat pyra for ramming

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 11:21:40 am »
The reason why I have the reload so high is to reduce harpoon abuse.  The force it applies is extremely high to the point that it completely denies movement.  To be constantly hit with that from 1 or more harpoons would be extremely unfun.

Of course, this is not to say that it won't change.  There are some ideas floating in dev app right now that I will try to look into in the future.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »
The reason why I have the reload so high is to reduce harpoon abuse.  The force it applies is extremely high to the point that it completely denies movement.  To be constantly hit with that from 1 or more harpoons would be extremely unfun.

Of course, this is not to say that it won't change.  There are some ideas floating in dev app right now that I will try to look into in the future.

I can't imagine harpoon abuse would be anywhere near as devastating as what is currently possible (easily) with mines.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 03:13:25 pm »
Difference being Geo, the harpoon is supposed to be a utility like the flare gun. The mine launcher is a weapon.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »
Hmm, mines. There's an idea for a side of a pyra. Harpoon and mines.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »
Clearly you mean the front of a pyra.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »
Won't work, trust me on this one.

And I too thing that the reload time is just too devastating. Especially when you want to harpoon from a longer range, the chance to miss is high enough already, especially on Junker's hull and against Squids manouverbility.
Also, from a logical point of view: Why would you want to harpoon somebody to close the distance between the two of you, if your target already IS close to you?
Ramming pyra aside (which is literally every pyra in the game, harpoon or not), a shorter reload time would allow this gun to be used against medium/long range ships without the already high risk of falling prey to the endless sniping and ultimately dying on the spot, since you have to expose yourself and yada yada. If you could hit with the harpoon, it could render the longer range ship either useless or helpless against your own close range barrage. And it wouldn't even be too powerful either, since you still have to hit and gun disable through artemis or merc isn't rare either.

Currently the harpoon is not even a utility weapon. It's even less worth than that. It's a gun that has only 2 scenarios:
- Miss with the harpoon and fail, which might end in ship destruction
- Hit with the harpoon and ram, which might end in ship destruction

I tryed using this gun on a Spire, I really did try to reel the enemy in. What happened was that the weird pyhsics kicked in instantly, turned me the wrong way, thus losing some gun arc and moving towards the enemy instead of the enemy moving towards me.
What am I supposed to do with this? I can't hit from long range and in close range it's less usefull than a beacon flare, because I know that 10 stacks of fire don't throw my ship around.

Next thing is, I don't get the fear of "harpoon abuse". What about the carronade? It can shred a balloon and keep an entire ship disabled without too much trouble if the carronade pilot has the ship and the skill for it. Neither drouge chute or impact bumpers will save you from that either. How is harpoon worse? You push the enemy around and have him be 1m away from your face, congratz. And Mines are utility weapons too, you know? Like the beacon flare, it can be used offensively, only with more effect, if executed succesfully.

TD;DR
- The Harpoon is the best weapon for suicide bombers
- The Harpoon was never fixed and, personally, less fun than before
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:46:00 pm by Dementio »

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 06:50:31 pm »
Yesterday i was using the harpoon on the side of the galleon, There was a metamidion trying to kill us, as he was slightly angled i harpooned his engines, and it turned him away from us, taking his guns off arc and allowing us to finish him off.

Point being it is far more useful than before and still a work in progress.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »
You can not compare the harpoon to the flare as a 'utility' gun. It simply is not the same. As I have stated before, the flare is a fire and forget weapon. It does not really matter if it hits, and you never build a valid strategy around it.

The harpoon is the opposite, as it effects YOUR ship as much as the enemy. It has a specific use, and failure to use it correctly will end in defeat. It needs careful planning and timing with a super strong pull, and needs a dedicated strategy built around its use. The only other gun with a long reload that you need to plan around (the flare is not one), is the hwacha. The difference is that the hwacha is worth the wait, and firing it does not have the possibility of messing up your own ship.

Building a strategy around a long reload, super strong harpoon is simply not worth it for the off chance that you might turn a ship around or whatever. It is a high risk, minimal reward gun as it is. Previously, it was a low risk, minimal reward gun.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 09:43:25 pm »
Of course the harpoon works on a Galleon, well "works". I had used it before the patch as well on the back of the Galleon, saved me a few times from a carronade, can't say that about now though. And I have yet to find another ship that can use a harpoon without eliminating or it least disabling itself in the process.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:20 am »
Reload time on harpoon has been decreased on dev app.

Offline Shock-Jock

• Salutes: 0
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 04:29:31 am »
I loaded up double harpoon once on a pyra. my gunners somehow got both shots in at the same time so the acceleration from the harpoon reeling back in and the moonshine was so fast that it makes squids blush. killed the enemy pyra from full health in one hit as mine keeps on flying at high speeds. I couldn't fly for the rest of the match because I was laughing too hard. Would I recommend this? Only if your very crazy.

Only complaint with the harpoon so far is it requires alot of effort for ramming purposes

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 10:51:18 am »
There's also a muzzle speed increase on dev app as well, which makes it much much easier to fire.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
The Reload is very much prone to being abused. Prolong the reload by 25%+ or 35. Or something.
The muzzle speed fix is great!