Author Topic: 1.3.6 Harpoon Changes  (Read 50268 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.6 Harpoon Changes
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »
Because we dont want Constant Harpooning, or something that ressambles the previous harpoon.

The ammount of reload you just stated seems reasonable to test this out. But the reload is just scary. Its going to be constantly used, or if its constantly used i can only expect spiral behaviour.

And i dont know the problem of the current harpoon other than the muzzle speed/velocity.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 12:37:22 am »
Who is "we"? I just looked back through this thread and others, and the majority of people want a shorter reload.

What do you mean by 'spiral' behavior? If you meant the old harpoon pushing ships away from each other, that will not happen. If you mean spinning a target ship, that already happens, but would happen less with a weaker force.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:47 am »
But then it would also pull less. And the effect maybe not so good?
Youve convinced me enough to wanna test this, im just super skeptical. The reason being is that the harpoons duration is an effect that lasts during the reload. It is like a gattling still shooting while it is reloading. So 10 Second reload is, fair enough because that gives 5 second actual reload/Breather from the harpoon. (5 second off, 5 second on) But im not sure that the force is enough, but if it is enough im very afraid of 5 seconds not being enough of a breather to recover from constant shots, or worse yett 2 harpoons.

In the end, its not only the recieving ship we have to worry about, it is also the dealing ship. How well can a dealing ship perform with this, is it practical in use etc etc.
Currently, this harpoon is practical when it hits. The dealer can expect the out-of-control behaviour so he braces while the ship that recieves is on a suprise so they have to react or deal with it somehow.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:28:16 am by Crafeksterty »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:19 pm »
I don't mind the current reload time, if only the duration is pushed a bit up, but that's too subjective.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 12:23:13 pm »
Okay, you have it.

Force: 100,000N
Duration: 5s

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 03:08:22 pm »
Insignificant effect.

Can't  say if that's good or bad though since I don't really know what's the goal of the gun- if I knew what it's supposed to achieve I'd do more testing.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »
We did show how it can work mezhu.

But yeah, this harpoon has VERY little effect. I dont use any tools against it, and the only ship that can be chased by this is the squid. The main game harpoon does things even more it just misses... alot... and that is between those 16 second reloads. 2 Harpoons hitting a ship is too far between and dooes not reward anything other than flinging yourself after another 2 hitting harpoons. Dont know if this fling is good or bad because on a pyra it can reward with a ram. But that is 2 front harpoons that is takes away too much offence. On other ships, for the most part. 2 harpoons takes too much away, and 1 harpoon doesnt affect enough.

I dont know how 150k will perform, but that is getting awefully close to main game harpoon which then results to prone of abuse.
If we change to 150 with longer reload, is balancing out the drawbacks into becoming the main game harpoon.

I still rather have the 230k or 200k (Whatever it was) with the fixed muzzle speed and maybe 3 seconds lower reload from 16.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:03:57 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »
For the gun to fill a position/rotation mess-up role it has to have force strong enough to actually achieve it. It needs to hit reliably so the increase in muzzle speed is necessary. And it needs to not have a dramatically lower cooldown otherwise it becomes a nerve wracking thing that's just going to be abused. Cooldown of 16 is about ok imo (granted the increase in speed and duration stays)- once every 16 seconds you get the ability to f up an enemy's ship movement, be it to save an ally, prevent an escape or just piss the enemy pilot off.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:03:16 pm by Mezhu »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »
Commented in devapp thread.