Author Topic: Bright Buffs  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Bright Buffs
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »
Basic idea: Buffs creating a glow inside clouds, after clouds are fixed. And with glow I mean just enough to know that there is something in these clouds. Buff glow is weak however and thus of course cannot be seen through clouds. Might not be as easy to see inside tar or dust storms, because buffs glow is so weak.

There are way too many buffs nowadays, gotta fix that somehow...

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Bright Buffs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:35 pm »
Can't you already see buffs in clouds?

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:19 pm »
I'm not sure if there's THAT much need for that. Taking buffkit hampers your total repairing capabilities after all, and unless it's a pre-buff at the start of a match there's not much time for re-buffing all parts. For all those benefits of a buff there's already a plenty of a cost from taking it. I mean, chem spray is used all the time as well, making your whole ship fire immune, should it also glow in the clouds just because it's used alot?

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:24 pm »
Can't you already see buffs in clouds?

I don't think so...

And I am not thinking of this suggestion only because it's used so much, that was just a less significant thought I had.

My suggestion gets more significant when it comes to you trying to stay hidden. Sneaking up (if executed right) already gives you the advantage of getting the first hit and usually leads to the killing blow. But if buff were to be visible inside clouds you would have to give up superior engine/balloon/hull power to be able to ride a cloud in secret. Even though you can get into a secure position behind the enemy and then buff everything...

It's not even that much either, since you would not see it THROUGH clouds.

Also, as a side note, there are already many teams that give up their gunner, just to have an engineer (Mallet/Spanner/Buffkit) that can buff his own guns and enables more repair power than a gunner does (but that's another story).
Another thing is that aside from gun buffs, buffs usually hold quite a while and a well timed/placed buff can still hold after a short engagement.

I don't think you really have too many downsides...

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »
We all know clouds are buggy and don't work the same all the time or for everyone, depending on settings too. But i am quite sure that you can see the glow of buffed parts inside a cloud already.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:26 am »
MUSE said there will be a cloud fix next patch
Clouds will be consistent across clients as of next patch.  And still pretty.

Anyhow, are you sure you can see buffs inside clouds already? I now you can see fires and even broken party, but I can't remember seeing buffs inside it. Maybe it's just one of the rare occurences that I have never witnessed before...

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »
This is an interested idea but it would be the end of the Admiral Quackbar! Everything is always buffed on that ship, I swear.