Author Topic: The Real Goldfish Fix  (Read 25127 times)

Offline Mysterious Medic

• Salutes: 35
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
The Real Goldfish Fix
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:12:11 pm »
After seeing the goldfish being taken to a few more competitive games, it was pretty clear to me what the biggest problem was: how easy it is to disable the goldfish's front gun. I'm pretty sure this is the general consensus of goldfish pilots. Once your front gun is down, you're a fish out of water (pun intended). Instead of arcing its side guns forward, which would just make a more mobile and overpowered spire, I suggest that a protective hood arcing up from the bottom of the goldfish should be implemented.

First off, there's no way this could be overpowered; the artemis arcs downwards, so any blenderfish or hwacha-fish approaching would have to move in high. As opposed to the hood covering the top of the front gun, a blenderfish can't just go under an artemis and make the artemis useless. I'm thinking the artemis (or caronades, gats, and any other fast shatter weapon) shouldn't be able to hit the front gun head on, but maybe a few degrees above it.

I'm not opposed to any other shielding ideas, but I think this could be implemented easily, and make the goldfish more viable of an option in competitive play again.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:20:10 pm by Mysterious Medic »

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Goldfish Fix
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
it has been suggested before, but i think it is a very good idea!

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »
Afaik, once the current dev app changes are fine tuned and released, goldfish and/or heavy weapons are being looked at.

Probably.

Offline Mysterious Medic

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:26:28 pm »
@ Dutch Vanya It has? :-\ Damn, I thought I was original. Can you link me to that?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »
I think it's somewhere in one of the other goldfish threads, maybe i'm wrong too. Either way you added more to the idea, and described it better. It was just a suggestion for some kind of front gun protection.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »
I have suggested it myself a few times... i am more for this fix over changing the angle of side guns

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »

this is definitely a better fix than angle changes.

it also reflects what the average crew in universe would do.  it is much easier and cheaper to weld some scrap to the front of your ship to protect your important, and presumably expensive, heavy gun than it is to remove and reposition your sidegun platforms.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »
Wouldn't be a stretch. Goldfish is a better rammer than the Pyra when you use moonshine. Gets up to top speed faster and when it hits for some reason it just 1 shots ships which the Pyra needs 2 rams to kill. Didn't really realize till I had to work on that broken Rumble/Goldfish achievement. Giving it an armored bow wouldn't be bad. That is actually part of my Lionfish concept design. It has an armor shroud on the front, covering it's twin heavy guns.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:19:47 pm »
So if I am slightly below a blenderfish, I should not have a shot on the gun?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »
So if I am slightly below a blenderfish, I should not have a shot on the gun?
Slightly, yes. Significantly, no.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:26 pm »
I really don't think blenderfish needs a buff like that. Simply decreasing the number of strikes needed to rebuild would be a lot easier, provide more resilience from any angle, and my pretty ship wouldn't develop a protruding lower lip.

Offline Mysterious Medic

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
Making heavy guns have shorter rebuild times would make the goldfish problem a multifaceted balance issue for all heavy weapon ships so I think the devs would say no thanks to that, they're comfortable with the balance on heavy/mid weapons I think. No, this is specifically a goldfish problem, so I think it needs a specific fix. Who says if needs to be ugly?

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:49:14 am »
This may or may not be a good idea, all depends on how effective a blenderfish will be. All things considered, it's not hard for a balloon popping ship to stay above the enemy, so the question is how much cover can a front gun have for it to be effective, but at the same time not overpowered for a carrofish.

If that won't work as one can hope for, I think that another step could be making goldfish a semi-bifecta ship. Slightly setting ONE of the guns under the right angle so the side gun and front gun could cross-fire in a small, even minimal arc, similar to current Squid bifecta, but with more firepower, as I believe Goldfish should have just for the very reason it has a heavy gun on the front. This grants it enough firepower to be considered a threat, but not enough to be overpowered like it would be with a trifecta people used to propose.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 07:58:40 am »
The only thing is, I'm pretty sure a bifecta is already possible with some guns on a goldfish. My only concern is how would muse actually implement shielding for the front gun, are we hoping for a change in the goldfish moddle and mesh, or just an adjustment to its hit box?

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
do not let this thread turn into a "turning arcs" thread... we have already done that thread.... as much as i am for turning the arcs this thread was started specifically to get away from that line of discussion. 

Making heavy guns have shorter rebuild times would make the goldfish problem a multifaceted balance issue for all heavy weapon ships so I think the devs would say no thanks to that, they're comfortable with the balance on heavy/mid weapons I think. No, this is specifically a goldfish problem, so I think it needs a specific fix. Who says if needs to be ugly?

totally agree.   a small curved piece of hull does not need to look ugly.  in-fact if you simply slid the gun emplacement back a few feet it would accomplish the same goal.