Author Topic: Leave Counter  (Read 13025 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Leave Counter
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »
Is anybody else getting tired of being punished with the leave counter because of frequently occurring bugs and/or server issues forcing you to abandon a match?

+ General discussion about why we have the leave counter, and if we actually need|want|don't-want|should| have one.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Leave Counter
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
It never really added anything in my opinion, I hardly ever check other player's leave count anyway. Most people who have any leaves at all are because of lag. I'd rather have the lag problems fixed, never in any game have I heard so many (legitimate) claims of lag problems.

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
I have a lot of leaves and most of them involve lag or something important coming up (yes there are things more important than GoIO :P) however I have not seem to have my leave count put against me. Most people rarely check the leave count on players above LVL 5 but sometimes I can tell how co operative a novice will be based on his leave count, for example someone with 28 games and 23 leaves is probably going to be a problem.

So I really don't care if they keep it or not, but in the end it is just a number that people can't really hold against you

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »
i think the system could be removed.

muse is not perma banning people anyway, so why they want to stigmatise players for leaving is weird. And yes many leaves are the product of lag

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:10 pm »
I actually am a proponent and always have been of the leave count. Whether it's due to lag, ragequits, real life or anything else it gives a good idea to players the likelihood you'll leave their match.

Furthermore it stigmatizes leaving and reduces the amount of times a player would intentionally leave matches for fear of being labled s rage quitter.

At the end of the day it's a meaningless number, but I know for certain it's one of several things that have reduced rage quits, and the fact that we're even having this conversation proves that many peoplr (including myself) care about said meaningless number and are therefore less inclined to leave a match unless they have to.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:52 pm »
i think the system could be removed.

muse is not perma banning people anyway, so why they want to stigmatise players for leaving is weird. And yes many leaves are the product of lag
Yeah so.... when I see a player with 30% leave count, that's not all lag leaves, sorry. I'm willing to give a ~10% buffer, even though personally I have exactly 0 leaves since the system has been implemented.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:28 am »
Muse does need to get their priorities straight and improve the game and fix problems instead of adding anti social features.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:14:23 am »
Muse does need to get their priorities straight and improve the game and fix problems instead of adding anti social features.

Claw harder...maybe then...*shrug*...I dunno, I find myself not caring as much anymore. Maybe come Adventure mode when I can go air pirate and steal all yer lootz and crew my ship with super intelligent homicidal kittens.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:06 am »
Claw harder...maybe then...*shrug*...I dunno, I find myself not caring as much anymore. Maybe come Adventure mode when I can go air pirate and steal all yer lootz and crew my ship with super intelligent homicidal kittens.
I'm a super intelligent homicidal kitten! I hereby volunteer for service - Y'arrr!

mrau.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:43:02 am »

Thus isn't an anti social feature. It's a meaningless number that makes people feel self conscious if they don't finish a match thereby discouraging rage quitting.

It aims to promote a better community. If anyone feels so terrible about what the number on their leave count is, I'm sure if you contact Muse they'd help.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:11 am »
I think it can (or should) probably be removed. If it's as meaningless as you say (which I agree it is), I don't think there's any reason to have it there. I don't really think it discourages rage quitting. If you're the type to rage quit a match the second you start losing, you're likely not the type of person to care about a meaningless number in your profile page.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
I think it is a valid statistic in a game devoid of statistics.
If I am looking at someone's profile, I am just as interested in a lot more than just the leave count. What about games played in each class? Won/lost? Kills as each class? Times shooting each gun and respective accuracy with each gun. Games flying each ship, and the win rate with each. Players vary between humble and arrogant, and having stats to attach to a player would help me adjust my loadout a lot more. A player saying they are a crack shot with a hades when the numbers say they aren't will tell me to put someone else on my hades, or not bring one at all.
Naturally numbers lie, especially with the rate at which I order my crew to fire on allied ships, but numbers are a decent indicator when we have none.

TL;DR: Remove it, or give us more statistics to go along with it.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

Thus isn't an anti social feature. It's a meaningless number that makes people feel self conscious if they don't finish a match thereby discouraging rage quitting.

It aims to promote a better community. If anyone feels so terrible about what the number on their leave count is, I'm sure if you contact Muse they'd help.

This. It might not provide us with anything good, but if it helps to stop at least 5% of the newer players to rage quit every single match thats a step in the right direction.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »
I increased my leave count last night when I ran out to seen the lunar eclipse mid game (I did hit afk before I left). I still like that it is there. It is similar to the "permanent record" teacher's and parent's intimidate their kids with. It encourages good behavior amongst the segment of our population most likely to be selfish and petty.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »

This. It might not provide us with anything good, but if it helps to stop at least 5% of the newer players to rage quit every single match thats a step in the right direction.
I suppose that comment was a bit off topic. I was also thinking about the addition of the in-game blocking when there were already many problems with the game that need to be fixed.