Author Topic: Guns jam, ammo changes, and passive class abilities  (Read 13803 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns jam, ammo changes, and passive class abilities
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 05:54:51 am »
gun jams don't sound like a fun mechanic.
I agree, but we also know he didn't suggest it as a fun mechanic. He's just trying to make a point.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 01:55:51 pm »
Isn't any weapon that gets "destroyed" essentially jammed? The weapon's parts are not unusable, it just needs to be smacked until it works right again. I could see a jamming mechanic working by guns slowly taking damage after extended use. This would force occasional gun maintenance on the crew even if they are not taking fire. It might reduce the deadliness of trifecta and quadfecta builds, but would be most damaging ships that some how acquired two gunners.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »
Isn't any weapon that gets "destroyed" essentially jammed? The weapon's parts are not unusable, it just needs to be smacked until it works right again. I could see a jamming mechanic working by guns slowly taking damage after extended use. This would force occasional gun maintenance on the crew even if they are not taking fire. It might reduce the deadliness of trifecta and quadfecta builds, but would be most damaging ships that some how acquired two gunners.

dude trufax, i am totally for this solution for some reason, just seems like its a good way to simulate damage from use. besides, non-stop firing of any relatively complex weapon will cause damage to to the extent of breaking way more often than enemy fire would. the internal moving parts are what matter, the outer parts are usually fairly robust and can take hits without breaking the gun. when various media depict guns stop firing due to enemy fire its because the operator(s) are dead, not the gun being broken. ramble ramble ramble anyway yeah nice one hamster.