Author Topic: casual interim event on saturdays?  (Read 13901 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: casual interim event on saturdays?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 04:58:02 am »
I've got 2 event ideas.

Refinery death-match 3vs3 single elimination tournament:
- the team which get 7 kills first wins the match
- if a team reaches the point limit to end the match, it looses the match.
- if a time limit of 30 minutes is reached, the team with more kills is called winner. If both teams have the same number of kills, the team which makes the next kill wins the match.

Protect the merchant 3vs3 single elimination tournament:
- maps: anglean raiders and refinery
- each team consits of a fully crewed all beacon mobula and two ships of the teams choices which are not all beacon mobulas.
- to win a match the mobula must complete the following route: B->C->D->E->A(red team) or E->D->C->-B->A(blue team)
- if the all beacon mobula dies it needs to fly to the last reached check point before moving on to the next one.
- if a team reaches the point limit to end the match, it looses the match.
- if a time limit of 30 minutes is reached The team which has passed the most check points wins. If both teams have  passed the same number of check points, the team which kills the enemies all-beacon mobula the next time wins the match.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:10:17 am by Wundsalz »

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:44:54 am »
hmm. the issue with 3v3 is that it's often difficult for people to put together the whole team so it's better suited to a one off rather than  a recurring event. I think I'd prefer to stay with the standard 2v2 deathmatch format for Sundays - maybe it'd be possible to have the unusual format matches on Saturdays in the lulls between major events. However I guess with the Hephaestus coming so soon it might be a while before we'd have a free Saturday slot. not sure whether they're planning any breaks, or whether teams would want to compete on those days.
Maybe once the Hephaestus starts, people will have their 2v2 competitive fix satisfied and we could try some different stuff on a Sunday. We'll see.

New possibility for a timer, based on Fourth Oracle's suggestions. I quite like it, I'd appreciate some other opinions.

Matches have a 15 minute time limit. 5 minutes are added to the timer at every kill.
When the timer runs out, the team with the higher score wins.
If the timer runs out, the match is a tie. If a Bo3 is left tied like this, it will be decided by score totals. If these are also tied, it will be resolved with a (virtual) coin toss.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 07:08:57 am »
Personally, I would like to see Sundays as "relaxed" events, with Saturdays being the "serious" events. This gives teams who want to be super competitive a day, and reserves a place for entry players and people who want to do silly things in organized events (<3 Cake).

This would also lead to more one-off events running on Sundays with longer events running on Saturdays, giving people and teams something to do on Sundays if they miss sign-ups and want to start getting in on the action.

Of course in the down-time between big Saturday events it would be nice to see short or one-off 2v2 DM events run like the Saturday Box, to give "serious" players an event to keep in shape, so to speak.

Whether Sundays have 3v3, 2v2, deathmatch, capture point, racing, or whatever, I would like to see something start running on Sundays. Just my 2 cents. :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:10:30 am by redria »

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 07:52:27 am »
yeah, Sunday is definitely the day for the less serious events. But I would still prefer to focus on 2v2 deathmatch for the most part because that's the most balanced, stable gamemode as well as what teams are used to and what most people prefer to practice due to its significance in the "serious" events.
I don't want to run a novelty event every week - but that said I would quite like to see breaks in schedules every now and then on both Saturdays and Sundays to make room for stuff that deviates from the normal formula.

Fourth Oracle is on board to cast this thing (other casters will  hopefully be joining in too) so we have pretty much all we need to get moving. First signup thread is going up.

If anyone has further input on the rules or structure of the event, that would be welcome. There's no overarching structure to the event so it's easy to continue to change and develop the rules and design in an iterative process.