Author Topic: Real Ship Names  (Read 18005 times)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Real Ship Names
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:31:12 am »
So, I had thought recently, if all the ships in the game currently are ships that are widespread throughout the world, the names that we call them surely cannot be their real names. the names we use are slang that have popped up over the years and taken hold due to the familiarity of seeing these ships in the skies and ports across the world.

take the junker or galleon for instance, they are ships specifically stated to be designed by certain groups, the arashi league and yesha empire respectively. Surely the prideful Arashi would not name a ship of their design a JUNKer, and why would the ethnically Chinese yeshan epire name a ship of their design using a word that has european roots. similar statements can be made of every ship in the game.

So, the question remains, when these ships were developed. when they were brand new technological innovations. what were the names their people gave them and what are they probably still known as in their homelands.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Real Ship Names
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:37:08 am »
I'd like to think that the Junker was developed under a cool name like Páoxiāo (Chinese for Roar or Thunder)
Or perhaps something like Yòngchù (usefulness/effectiveness)

Names like that would be interested to have floating around, though I'd suggest it's more simple to have an amalgamated name as we do now - at least for informal discussion and battle plans :D

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »
I'd like to think that the Junker was developed under a cool name like Páoxiāo (Chinese for Roar or Thunder)
Or perhaps something like Yòngchù (usefulness/effectiveness)

Names like that would be interested to have floating around, though I'd suggest it's more simple to have an amalgamated name as we do now - at least for informal discussion and battle plans :D

well the junker, as i said, was developed by the people of the Arashi League so i doubt it was givin a chinese name. maybe you meant the Galleon? 

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:45 pm »
Very probably, I was very drowsy when I posted here :P.

I need to sleep more -looks at time-
I should be in bed :(

Offline Alma Beoluve

• Salutes: 0
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:17 pm »
I actually was thinking pretty much the same thing.

I'd love to see lore on the ships and their designated 'factory' name. XD

Offline Jason McMorgan

• Salutes: 4
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »
From what I see:

Yesha Empire: Goldfish and the Galleon, if you look at their designs, they are very much East Asian style influenced which Yesha is.

Fjord Baronies: Mobula, has that royal feel to it with the glass and the unique fencing and trim. I would also say the Pyramideon for the baronies because it looks very much like a mass producible ship, something you would see in a fleet.

Chaladon and Mercantile Guild: Spire, mainly by it's look to be put together in all the right places and also a bit of flare to it, someone spent ACTUAL money to build this and not rigged it up.

Arashi League and the Anglean Empire: I would have to say the squid, mainly because these are two cultures that do rely on a bit of raiding to survive. A quick, maneuverable ship can take down any size ship and makes for hit and run tactics. The Junker, as well, because it looks like something rigged up with pieces of other ships, something the Arashi League and the Anglean raiders are known for.

Offline Deltajugg

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:30:11 am »
and why would the ethnically Chinese yeshan epire name a ship of their design using a word that has european roots

This may be just me, but just because the Yesha Empire's design has its roots in chinese culture in the eyes of the developers doesn't exactly mean that they speak chinese in this game. I mean, just based on the world's geography and laws of physics you can tell that this is an alternative world, they might as well all speak the same language, and term "european" may not exist, so language restrictions to the ship's name may not be there as well.

Though I sure would love to know more about the world, with the origin of the ships included. It's always nice to sit and think on how various aspects of the game's world came to be, but I would rather see the facts about it than make wrong assumptions.

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:54 pm »

This may be just me, but just because the Yesha Empire's design has its roots in chinese culture in the eyes of the developers doesn't exactly mean that they speak chinese in this game. I mean, just based on the world's geography and laws of physics you can tell that this is an alternative world, they might as well all speak the same language, and term "european" may not exist, so language restrictions to the ship's name may not be there as well.

Though I sure would love to know more about the world, with the origin of the ships included. It's always nice to sit and think on how various aspects of the game's world came to be, but I would rather see the facts about it than make wrong assumptions.

well based on the faction feature on the Yeshan Empire, the language has definitely held on. their capital is Chang-Ning. furthermore, if you look at that world map that showed up with the adventure mode kickstarter,  the marked locations are largely named with Asian based names.

Well it is an alternate world in that world war 1 never ended and lead to the apocalypse.
However, the people of the world have existed together through all that has happened, spoken languages are not lost, you can lose literacy but people can always speak to each other. With the massive population reduction and isolation of the post-war world, before the age of air, the language probably did change, but its general characteristics would be intact, and a kind of homogenous language would have no chance of emerging.

Though, as the age of air progresses, i suspect a quasi universal language may emerge, either due to conquest or trade supremacy.

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »
From what I see:

Yesha Empire: Goldfish and the Galleon, if you look at their designs, they are very much East Asian style influenced which Yesha is.

Fjord Baronies: Mobula, has that royal feel to it with the glass and the unique fencing and trim. I would also say the Pyramideon for the baronies because it looks very much like a mass producible ship, something you would see in a fleet.

Chaladon and Mercantile Guild: Spire, mainly by it's look to be put together in all the right places and also a bit of flare to it, someone spent ACTUAL money to build this and not rigged it up.

Arashi League and the Anglean Empire: I would have to say the squid, mainly because these are two cultures that do rely on a bit of raiding to survive. A quick, maneuverable ship can take down any size ship and makes for hit and run tactics. The Junker, as well, because it looks like something rigged up with pieces of other ships, something the Arashi League and the Anglean raiders are known for.

Quite a lot about the origin of the ships can be found in Evadne's Reports. For every ship except the Goldfish you can find out where it originally came from.
However you have to remember that this only means where the design emerged. Now they can be found almost everywhere. It tells us a lot about the art style and mentality of the different factions though.

Junker - based on Arashi Blueprint
Squid - Chaladonian design
Galleon - Yesha Empire
Spire - design from the Baronies which in the beginning were simply floating watchtowers guarding the mountain passes leading into the Baronies
Pyramidion - modified Yeshan warship
Mobula - designed in the Vastness for a rich Merchant, ie Mercantile guild

There is quite a bit more back story in those reports, so get on those achievements to unlock them, gentlemen!

Offline Deltajugg

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
well based on the faction feature on the Yeshan Empire, the language has definitely held on. their capital is Chang-Ning. furthermore, if you look at that world map that showed up with the adventure mode kickstarter,  the marked locations are largely named with Asian based names.

Well it is an alternate world in that world war 1 never ended and lead to the apocalypse.

Ok you got me on the Chang-Ning.

Also,it may be just me clinging to the world of GoIO being placed in another dimension/planet, but with all the laws of physics differing from the ones on Earth, and a land that looks completely different from any place on Earth, I prefer to think that MuseDevs themselves didn't know where they were going with the whole idea at first. Of course the WW1 might be a thing in this world as well, but I don't think of it as our own past taking place in a different shape that lead to the current GoIO world, more like similar situation happening in a different world, leading to it's own ending that also (obviously) differs from ours. Still, it may be just me jibber-jabber-dreaming and wondering out loud.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
It may be worth mentioning that Junker is probably not derived from junk as in trash but Junk as in the Chinese style boat  .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)#Etymology

Offline Dirty-Lee

• Salutes: 0
    • [HN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 11:07:36 am »
Well in our clan we pronounce Junker with German accent, as the German airplanes during World War 2. That way the ship sounds cooler and more frightening.

Offline Anchorshag

• Salutes: 1
    • [MEAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:18 am »
I imagine, given the game's setting, that most ships of the same design wouldn't even be similar. Given the lack, or surplus, of parts and other factors of post-apocalyptic life.

Two squids, for example, could vary wildly in construction, material quality, etc. The shipwrights would probably improve on these ships where possible and make cut backs when needed.

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »
I imagine, given the game's setting, that most ships of the same design wouldn't even be similar. Given the lack, or surplus, of parts and other factors of post-apocalyptic life.

Two squids, for example, could vary wildly in construction, material quality, etc. The shipwrights would probably improve on these ships where possible and make cut backs when needed.

i would agree with that totally, but what im interested in, for example, is what the squid would have been called when it first graced the skies of Chaladon. before it was a common sight throughout the world.

Offline Anchorshag

• Salutes: 1
    • [MEAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:11:24 am »
i would agree with that totally, but what im interested in, for example, is what the squid would have been called when it first graced the skies of Chaladon. before it was a common sight throughout the world.

Perhaps they just built one and said "Thats cool, lets build more."  ;)