Author Topic: [Suggestion] New Game Mode - V.I.P.  (Read 8529 times)

Offline finalfunk

• Salutes: 3
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] New Game Mode - V.I.P.
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »
This game mode would likely be ideal in 3v3 or 4v4. The idea is that one player from each team is the "V.I.P." and only V.I.P. kills count.

V.I.P. could be visually differentiated (Light effect, banner, or paint job perhaps?), but wouldn't necessarily need any gameplay modification. i.e. They are a regular ship than can shoot and repair as normal. Thus they can choose to be one of the attackers attempting to kill the other team's V.I.P. or they can just run and hide. (Risk / Reward)

Games could last until one team's V.I.P. is killed, or perhaps killed a certain number of times.

Selecting the V.I.P. could be at the lobby screen (i.e. first slot on a team is the V.I.P. slot). This would allow teams to place their most (or least?) experienced player as the V.I.P. and the others as defenders/attackers.

Alternately, V.I.P. could be randomly assigned when the match starts.

Optional Consideration 1) the V.I.P. could have a perma-spot or map marker (so that there is no true hiding). The other team always has an indication of where you are. If this is TOO easy, the V.I.P. indicator could be rougher and identify location by map grid or compass quadrant (i.e. NE/NW/SE/SW).

Optional Consideration 2) the V.I.P. could have defensive bonuses (more armor, reduced rebuild times, etc). This would make playing as the V.I.P. easier, but would be more challenging to implement and balance. I don't think bonuses would be necessary for this game mode.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:40:58 pm by finalfunk »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] New Game Mode - V.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:08:51 pm »
This idea is currently being looked into on a community event level. How it could be implemented for a tournament/etc. But as for Muse doing and official one. I don't think we'll see one or any other new gamemode until after COOP mode. They seem very busy recently. I can't seem to reach them on some other matters right now and talking to a mod I know it does seem they are working hard atm.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:25 pm »
I remember talking to a bunch of people about this recently.  Tropo in particular had a plan where you could run this game mode (with a referee) on some of the existing maps without any immediate need for a new game type although we haven't tested it out yet.

Offline finalfunk

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:57:37 am »
Glad to hear it!

Well, I'm still happy to have it officially lodged as a suggestion here, too. :)

Come at it from all sides!

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:45 am »
I believe there was at least one, if not many suggestion threads for this game mode type.

Offline finalfunk

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:28 am »
I guess I should have looked further than 5 pages into the suggestions...

Ah well.

Aside: I hate almost all forum search tools.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:09:54 am »
They usually were not initially about them, sometimes being slightly derailed to the VIP suggestion... Here are some links:
Link 1:https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1934.msg33896.html
Link 2:https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1113.msg20110.html
Link 3:https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3074.msg52954.html
Oh, and a simple search for VIP came up with these hits (User specification is unnecessary)

Offline finalfunk

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:05 am »
Yeah, I see that now. Alas, none of them came up when I search "V.I.P.". (I re-iterate: I hate almost all forum search tools.)

But we both digress. It seems that the idea has merit, given the number of times it has been suggested. BUT, it will likely need to wait until after the upcoming release (if ever?), as was mentioned.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:18 am »
I remember talking to a bunch of people about this recently.  Tropo in particular had a plan where you could run this game mode (with a referee) on some of the existing maps without any immediate need for a new game type although we haven't tested it out yet.

Roughly the idea I had come to mind during the middle of Aerodrome. We utilized a scorekeeper for each match. It wouldn't be a major stretch to do the same for this then figure out how to make it work.

I wrote up a little proposal idea to gain some input and figure it out. Our guys have all read it and the Aerodrome teams have seen it. Also forwarded it to Phelan cause he was shooting me some ideas. So I might just post it in the community section this week and we can hammer the idea out with all the clans. Whether we run with it for a summer event or someone else does, at least it'll be a new idea for the competitive scene. I dunno about you but I'm mighty tired of 2v2 DM. When I'm on, I'd rather be playing 3v3. Heck if Muse gave us more 2v2 CP maps I'd gladly do those over TDM. Course I'm not a DM or TDM player in any other game. I play objective or CTF things. GOIO has been the only game in probably 15yrs that I've played TDM in for a long period of time.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 05:49:28 am »
Idea development posted in Community Events section: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3791.0.html

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »
tropo had a massive idea for vip but i notice its been buncher all over the forums so im working off a idea with sacrilege frist then it will be filmed and casted and then it should be a weekly event i would hope to get the atention of muse  to see this as a real game mode

my orginail idea dose not follow what the other posts that mac mac has linked

vip 2v2 is impossible to do with out muse rite now

vip 3v3 is esay as  top left hand corner changes his name to VIP
frist to kill the other teams vip 5 times in under 30 mins or best score untill that cut off time

maps to play this game on are limeted 3v3 cp maps at the moment as it is also ipossible to cast a 4v4 due to lag

at the moment i have orginised casters but its not set in concrete norn is the time  if everyone would like to get invoide or team up and make one epic event i would be happy to share my ideas