Author Topic: Icarus Rising - 2D mmorpg  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Icarus Rising - 2D mmorpg
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:46:23 am »
http://youtu.be/2mTpOH4jrkg

Engineer making use of Tesla weaponry

About

Icarus Rising is a project that started a little over a year ago. The goal was to create an old school mmorpg based off the GoIO world. For this project, we're using the Eclipse Origins engine ( www.eclipseorigins.com ) which is a free 2D mmorpg maker. Due to it often being used for fantasy games, we had to create a lot of custom assets and tweak the code quite a bit.

Events in the game are very loosely based around the initial Flight of the Icarus, hence the title. Players create a character and are able to customize them however they like (with no effect on their stats). They choose a role, which they are able to swap out of, and learn techniques/skills based upon their role. (Gunners can use incendiary rounds to light targets on fire, while engineers can attack enemies with a chem spray attack, slowing them down; etc).

Key Features
  • Custom Character (90% complete)
  • Clan Creation and Support (90% complete)
  • In-game Factions (70%)
  • Player Driven Economy (0%)
  • Town Development/Conquest (60%)
  • Personal Airships (10%)
  • Unique Roles and Role Development (80%)
  • Large Open-ish World (95%)
  • Crafting (10%)
  • PvE and PvP (70%)
  • Possibly More? (0%)

Where we're at now

As you can see from the video, things are still pretty rough and slow going. It started as a team of 6, but has been reduced to a team of 3 working on the project on and off. What we really need are people who can help create graphical and sound assets, as well as a larger community for testing. We've been working with some members of the EO (Eclipse Origins) community to help on the project, and have reached a point we feel the GoIO community won't chase us off with Pipe Wrenches (=D I made the pipe wrench in the video ).

Right now we're in the process of setting up a better server that can handle the increased traffic and an official website with forums, game information, download links, email, the works. Up to this point we've just been using some free forums (enjin) and our personal emails. Once the website is up and running (I think he said we'd be ready to make it public by Wednesday, but it may take longer) I can post a link to sign up. Until then I think I can see about setting up a place to download the client from.

Thanks for your support!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:26:19 am by Thomas »

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
Re: Icarus Rising
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:26:42 am »
so is this a real thing? because if it is... I want in o.o

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Icarus Rising - 2D mmorpg
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:13:57 am »
Sorry, got too busy trying to embed the video on the forums before finally giving up and just leaving it as a link and going to bed. Updated the OP with more useful information. xD;
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:33:22 am by Thomas »

Offline Sane Alex

• Salutes: 1
    • [OVWp]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:58:26 pm »
I'd be quite interested in helping out, if you still need more testers.

Alex

Offline Sir Yosh

• Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »
April Fools, though post date is 31. March for me :P

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:36 pm »
It was posted on March 30~31, although it was scheduled to be put up earlier in the week (you know how deadlines are).

Although there has been quite a lot of 'April Fools' pranks, what with Muse using this trailer for 'Adventure Mode'
https://www.facebook.com/GunsOfIcarusOnline

Not to mention the sheer number of prank topics started today on the forums. I'm still mostly honored that some people liked the project, and others thought it was terrible. D;