Author Topic: Rape Jokes  (Read 17710 times)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Rape Jokes
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 03:51:50 am »
Hey B'Elanna :/ i've been on your ship when i've heard this a few time and safe to say its not a nice thing to hear.

While it may be an easy thing to say and 'jokey' it is in no way funny. Someone I love who is very dear to me was raped and is still scarred to this day. It is a childish, immature and insesitive thing to say and infuriates me to no end. I tell them how it makes others and I how it feels to hear it and some do appologise and refrain from saying it. Whereas some ACTUALLY defend try to defend their actions saying "they didn't mean it in 'that' way" ... Well what f*c***g way did you mean it then?

So back to rule #1 of GOI - Don't be a dick.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 05:12:19 am »

So back to rule #1 of GOI - Don't be a dick.

Ah, Wheaton's law, how I love thee.

On a more serious note, /signed thread wise. Needed to be said and I am rather afraid to admit I have been known, on odd occasion to use the saying with that little voice in my head berating me for the next few hours simply because no matter the context, it is not and never should be acceptable.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
I don't really have much to say that you didn't already say in your OP or that DMax didn't already say in his post, so I'd just like to say thanks for making this thread. I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
I saw the name of this post, and I was shocked.

I thought it was a collection of Rape Jokes and I was all ready to file a report.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 05:50:01 pm »
The cause for which this topic was started was good, but the discussion has turned in the wrong direction entirely.

This thread is locked, and the offending posts have been removed.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »
I am conflicted about opening this thread back up.  Sunderland did the right thing to close it but I am also very proud that those of you who chose to post here are mature and understand why this is an important topic to talk about.  This is a great community and we teach other how to act by example.  I hope that our players' behavior in this community is brought to other game communities.  I understand that this thread will bait trolls so I'm not going to open it.  It only took one inflammatory comment to close it (with multiple instantaneous reports) but with already more than a page of support.

Personally, I have no tolerance for any kind of bigotry and sexism.  For those of us who are still learning, respect the warnings that are issued and clean up your act and you will be fine.

In short, you guys and gals make me proud.  As a developer, I know that the gaming community at least has a lot of growing up to do and I'm glad that it's happening (or already happened!) here first.  Keep up the good work and spread the word.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 06:02:06 pm »
Oh and if anyone asks you nicely to stop saying something, even if you don't consider it offensive, please oblige.  We all go by different standards.